What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Which did you pre-pay on your last vacation?

Message 1 of 6

I tend to plan way ahead. Carryover from 20+ years in USAF. Best airline deals are usually a month or two out, also there have been occassional flight /hotel combos too good to pass up. With loyalty cards for 2 different airlines I find many ways to save by opting in early. ( Always pay your balance monthly or it negates any savings paying interest. Where possible I also use local transit service much cheaper than taxis or rentals.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 6

I maintain annual travel insurance. It is much cheaper than individual trip insurance. Travel insurance allows me the safety to book in advance (saving lots of money!) and prepay everything but meals. I love hopping in a cab to the airport knowing that the only thing i have to decide is what to wear and what to eat. My research (to see the best 'stuff') and pre-booking have taken all the potential stress out of the trip.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 6

I just completed a three and one half month solo trip through Asia and prepaid my country to country airfares, which included both trip cancellation and travel insurance, while booking several intra-country flights while on the road because I had the option to choose plane, train, bus, or boat (although I did buy the Japan Rail Pass which one must do before arriving in Japan). If immigration officials get picky, they can require that one show proof of reservations for an exit flight in order to get a visa.

While some countries allow US citizens with a limited tourist visa issued on the spot at airports (Japan, Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos), India, Vietnam, and Myanmar offer short term tourist evisas available online at low cost, and Australia requres a free evisa. For China, one must obtain a visa beforehand, but once obtained it will be good for multiple entries for a period of ten years for US citizens at the present time.

I also booked almost all my rooms through booking.com (some Japanese guesthouses and ryokans required a direct request) most of which required a credit card as guarantee. I like booking.com because the cancellation policy is virtually always very liberal, and it is easy to change dates and places while traveling. However, I paid for all my rooms using local currency from atms.

Karl V

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6

AARPLynne wrote:

Do you ever opt to pre-pay for travel expenses such as tickets to an event, rental car, or hotel? On your last vacation, which expenses did you pay for before you left? 

Absolutely none.  No pre-payments because travel is always open to change.  Hotels are even now changing to the loss of the cost of one night even if you cancel within the times allowed.  The savings are not the much to me to make me concerned about having to change things.  I go to relax!!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6

We took three trips last summer. For two of them we pre-paid hotel reservations for extra savings.  In all cases we pre-paid registrations (rather than reservations) for a discount.

On a trip in 2016 we prepaid airline tickets and car rental for a discount. This year we drove. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Highlighted
Community Manager

Which did you pre-pay on your last vacation?

Message 6 of 6

Do you ever opt to pre-pay for travel expenses such as tickets to an event, rental car, or hotel? On your last vacation, which expenses did you pay for before you left?