Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Info Seeker

Re: How to Plan a Celebration Vacation

Message 1 of 11

To celebrate my husband's 60th, we (me, my husband, our three kids and spouses/significant others) rented a house in Iceland and spent a week exploring together. Best trip ever.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 11

I was freaking out about turning 70.  Couldn't make up my mind whether to ignore it, get drunk or climb Mt. Kilimanjaro.  My travel buddy took me to to the Arctic.  I did the Arctic Plunge.  I will never turn 70 again and I will never jump into the Arctic Ocean again either.  How cold was it?  There are appropriate epithets for that description. Use your imagination.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 11

For my 50th birthday my late husband and I flew to Portland, OR and drove a rental car the length of the West Coast.  That was the best vacation ever.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 11

No, I can’t say I have ever done that.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 5 of 11

I had always wanted to see the Norwegian coast. Around the beginning of the year of my 60th, I discovered a cruise was leaving on my birthday for a Norway coastal voyage all the way to the North Cape. My wife and I and her sister and brother-in-law booked the cruise. It was leaving from Southampton, England, so we flew to London to catch the ship. The cruise was 12 days long. The fjords are incredibly beautiful. I now think of Norway as Switzerland with an ocean. 

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 11

We planned a trip to Las Vegas for my 50th birthday celebration. We had all the reservations planned including first class airfare, lodging, shows and two fancy reservations for dinner. The day we were going to leave, the news media declared that all airline flights we cancelled for the foreseeable future. We tried to cancel the hotel reservations but the hotel wouldn't let us. We finally decided to drive to Las Vegas.

When we arrived many hours later, the strip was almost empty. The lesson, don't have your birthday on September 11th, 1951.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 11

For our 25th wedding anniversary we went on a Carribean cruise. It was a relaxing, and very nice. 

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 11
For my 60th, my daughter and I went to the Grand Canyon and then to Sedona, **bleep**. I climbed Cathedral Rock with her, it was challenging and amazing and beautiful. We will never forget our adventure together.
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 11

I've planned three of these trips for my husband, on his 60th (Macchu Picchu), 62nd (BBQ road trip) and 65th (Isle of Man TT races) birthdays. 

I learned that the big trips are not a good idea to keep secret, as there is much preparation on the celebrant's part as well. They all three went really well, in spite of the usual hiccups. And they weren't nearly as expensive as I feared--because I did most of the legwork myself rather than buying package tours.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 11

My two wonderful daughters surprised me for my 60th birthday with an all expense paid trip to New Orleans. We had a blast! I will never forget this very special time we had together!