What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Info Seeker

Re: How do you save money for a trip?

Message 1 of 5

I only do two things.  I use airline points I've accumulated throughout the year towards an airline ticket and I budget my total trip expenditure (including an airline ticket if not enough points).  Each month I put my trip expenditure funds in a vacation account.  This is easily done automatically from my online savings accounts.  When I go on vacation, then I buy my tickets and pay for my vacation when returning from this vacation fund.  Ready to start contributing to the next months.  So far I haven't over spent my account, but I haven't gone to Vegas yet either.  :-)

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 5

I use multiple ways.  A mileage credit card for flights, Travel during mid season, on the cusp between winter or summer.  I have a portion of my check direct deposit into a travel savings account.  When I can I try to book hotels with breakfast. And last of all look for deals

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 5

AARPLynne wrote:

When you make travel plans, how do you save money for the trip? Some people will travel off-season for better rates. While frequent travelers can save by using reward points, like airline miles or hotel loyalty programs to offset costs. 

How do you save money for a trip?

I use a card for points for hotel and travel.. it works very well!!   

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 5

Basically the same way I save money for anything: I have our income checks direct deposited into a savings account and distribute funds from there.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Highlighted
Community Manager

Message 5 of 5

When you make travel plans, how do you save money for the trip? Some people will travel off-season for better rates. While frequent travelers can save by using reward points, like airline miles or hotel loyalty programs to offset costs.