AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Great Eats while travelling?

Message 1 of 10 (1,124 Views)

When we are looking for a place to eat and we want a simple lunch or dinner we ask a local, construction worker, store clerk, etc. where they go for lunch or dinner, or where is their favorite place to take company that comes to town.  We travel by motorcycle and camp most of the time, so we eat a late breakfast/lunch with first gas up (we call it blunch), then cook dinner at the campground.  Simple fare, but good.  

Conversationalist

Great Eats while travelling

Message 2 of 10 (1,613 Views)

When I travel, there are eats!

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 10 (2,443 Views)

I think food is an important part of the whole travel experience.  From state to state and country to country tastes are varied and part of the local culture.  I always like to try the local cuisine.  Cuban sandwiches in Tampa or burritos in Southern California.  YUMMMMM !!!

alaskadude1948
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 10 (2,468 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

Yes. We gear our travel diet around mountain hiking, which is 95% of our travel time. You know about that!  There is nothing better than a PB&J, with an apple, while sitting up at 12,000 feet (after you hiked 4 miles up and gained 2500 feet in altitude), while taking in a 360-degree view.

After we spend day after day doing that, we really have no interest in visiting a restaurant, much less going into town. 

You understand this........ 

@retiredtraveler Indeed I do. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 10 (2,480 Views)

@Epster "...We plan our meals to support our activities. At this stage of life that means we eat an athlete's diet:...".

Yes. We gear our travel diet around mountain hiking, which is 95% of our travel time. You know about that!  There is nothing better than a PB&J, with an apple, while sitting up at 12,000 feet (after you hiked 4 miles up and gained 2500 feet in altitude), while taking in a 360-degree view.

After we spend day after day doing that, we really have no interest in visiting a restaurant, much less going into town. 

You understand this........ 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 10 (2,506 Views)

Like @retiredtraveler, we choose hotels with a breakfast bar (not to eat their junk food packaged as breakfast, but so we don't have to pack a toaster, et cetera) and a room with a kitchen. 

We plan our meals to support our activities. At this stage of life that means we eat an athlete's diet: whole wheat toast, boiled eggs, bananas, avocado, raw veggies and fruit, olives, sardines plus a pickled veggie rich pasta salad and/or a simple green salad. I also make a nut-coconut flake-dried fruit trail mix, and we take a few of those savory Kind bars for race nutrition. Once our sporting events have concluded --and not before-- we will eat out with the gang. We so often feel bad after we've eaten out that we simply don't risk that before a race. And then we are extra careful about what we eat. I'll pack peanut butter for a quick rest stop sammie on the way home, but I don't know the last time we stopped at a greasy spoon. 

If we are traveling somewhere unrelated to recumbent racing --going from memory here Smiley Happy-- we'll seek out an organic or health food restaurant. But we research them first and tend to grill the waitstaff about preparation methods ... yeah we're those people ... in order to sample a local cuisine.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 10 (2,514 Views)

If we are driving, we picnic. That is, we purchase some things to make sandwiches, have some canned goods and beverages, and stop at rest areas for lunch. We carry utensils and paper plates, egc.

For all our traveling, once at a destination, we always stay in places with a kitchen, and cook ourselves. On a multi-week trip, we might eat our a couple of times, but that is it. We mostly stay someplace around national parks in U.S. and Canada, and restaurants are overpriced, mediocre, and unhealthy, imho. 

We've never understood the travel habits of so many people. We do almost nothing but hike every day, or walk all day if doing an urban trip, and talk about what we saw or experienced. So many people describe their travels in terms of the food they ate. We don't get that at all.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 10 (2,529 Views)

Whenever I travel I make sure i download the "YELP" app on my smartphone.  It uses your phones location to recommend eating places close by.  You can enter a particular favorite cuisine for a more refined search.  People leave pictures and recommendations to help you choose.  If you are ever in Santa Barbara, California, and craving Mexican food, I highly recommend "Los Agaves" restaurant.  All the food is great but the house burrito is the bomb.  I found this place using YELP. 

alaskadude1948
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 10 (2,560 Views)

When we travel we don’t try and save money when it comes time to eat. We don’t necessarily eat 3 meals a day either. Breakfast and dinner is usually all we need.

I’d rather pay a little more at a decent restaurant for a unique but good meal that might be more in line with the cuisine of the country or area we’re visiting.  That’s part of the travel experience.  Why eat food that you can get back home any time you want.

Community Manager

Great Eats while travelling?

Message 10 of 10 (2,575 Views)

How do you plan eating when you go on vacation?  Are there apps or special things you to do save money or eat healthier?  Share what works for you!

AARPTeri