Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Conversationalist

Re: I like to

Message 1 of 26

My aunt, her daughter, & my mother used to go on trips to see the Fall colors from Wisconsin into Iowa.  I moved to Wisconsin before my mother died & was able to go on her last trip with her. It's a wonderful memory.

Report Inappropriate Content
Regular Social Butterfly

Re: Do you like to drive?

Message 2 of 26

Hi Chazbo1948.

Over the years, we have taken many trips thruout the areas you mentioned.  Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and  Arizona.  Did you happen to take the road down to Paria Utah?  It's kinda "off-road".  In the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument area. 

From the abandoned "Western town" movie set, you have views of some of the most unusual colored geological formations   I've ever seen.  This place is really way off the beaten track.

Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 26

Over the past year I've driven three round trips from Tampa to Los Angeles.  All that driving gave me a great opportunity to see first hand how badly our interstate system is in need of repair.  Parts of Interstate 40 west of the Mississippi are in such bad shape the semi trucks ride in the left lane because the right lane is so chewed up they're afraid of damaging their cargo.  Fortunately I like to drive the back roads as well.  There are some spectacular sections of highway in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado.  Just pick a road and give it a try.  Some will turn out to be boring but others will blow your mind.  One of the latest scenic drives I took was from Las Vegas to Page, Arizona.  From Page take Highway 98 to Highway 160 and follow it all the way to Cortez, Colorado.  You'll pass by some of Monument Valley where many John Ford/John Wayne movies were filmed.  Happy Trails to you in 2018.

alaskadude1948
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 26

Absolutely! Point me in a direction primarily in the west such as Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico,  or Montana and I’m your guy. Because of where we live (Fayetteville, Arkansas) we also travel to see our grandchildren and daughter in New Orleans quite often.

Last year we drove from here to Steamboat Springs, Durango, and Flagstaff to see the Grand Canyon.

The time behind the wheel goes much faster when I have a good book that I’m listening to.  Regrettably, I do not share the wheel with my loving wife she suffers from a mild form Narcolepsy. Let’s go somewhere now.

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 26

No, I've never liked driving. Even when I was young.   For better and for worse, I'm very cautious and I  try to obey all of the rules.    

Years ago, I was pulled off the highway - the slow lane, if you're curious - by a young trooper in Massachusetts.     "How come you're only driving 55 miles per hour?" asked the officer.

"Because that's the posted speed limit," was my response.

End of conversation.   No ticket or warning.   Other drivers were roaring down the highway at speeds beyond the legal limit.    Maybe that's expected in Massachusetts.        

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 6 of 26

In the early 70's my husband, Michael, and I bought a Chevy step-van and converted it to an RV. We called it our "hippie van". We left San Diego and travelled around the US and Canada for about 18 months. Gas was a lot less expensive then and we felt very safe on the road. One of the best parts of this trip was meeting so many wonderful people. Michael died four years ago, but I have wonderful memories of this trip with him.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 26

My wife and I were trying to do the 50ty states and almost made it until her cancer came and broke up our beautiful trips.  The best State in our fun fill time together was Tenn.  We would spend two weeks in each State traveling the back roads with my wife doing the pans and Looking at the our beautiful country.  All our States have something that is different and beautiful.  We were never disappointed in what we saw.  Sure do miss her still but the memories are still there.  Charlie

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 26

@ps4326  Yeah, it's a good thing to have the technology: it is often quite useful. But back in the day, I fell in love with maps (had an actual account with Metzger!) Those maps showed EVERYTHING! This was when knowing exacting detail about an area was part of my work. Now that I'm riding around looking at rock outcrops and trying to spot apple trees in the forest (signs of settler encampments) I like something that shows terrain as well as various levels of road surfaces. And I think it's good to keep map reading skill honed. Fun too. Smiley Happy

BTW your rig sounds like a blast!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 26

We use the GPS sometimes, but I agree about the maps.  I just like to take out the US Road Atlas (I carry one in the van and in the motorhome!) and look at all the wonderful places to go and see.  We laugh at some of the names of towns we see, and sometimes just fo to one so we can say we've been there.  Our RV is in for service, and I really wanted to go leaf peeping, however I guess that's in the plans for next year.  Thought of going to the Catskills in NY.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 26

Me too! I'm a road trip kinda gal!  Gimme a map, a buncha music and the open road! (DH uses GPS and Apple maps, but I luvs me a road atlas.)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving