Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: AARP Services Warning

Message 1 of 3 (135 Views)

@p316296d  Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with a car rental booked through the AARP Travel Center, powered by Expedia.  We’d like to have an opportunity to further review the CDW charges you incurred from Easirent. Will you please send an email to member@aarp.org with your name and AARP membership number? Please include “Expedia Concern” in the subject of your email.  A copy of your itinerary as well as your bill from Easirent, would be helpful for our review of this matter. We look forward to hearing from you.

AARPTeri
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: AARP Services Warning

Message 2 of 3 (201 Views)

Become a savy consumer and traveler - here and abroad.  Sometimes taking a few steps to prepare for "just in case" saves time and headache.  I would say that perhaps teaching people how to be this way is a good role for AARP but we can also learn it other ways too.

You have learned by experience - me too, when I traveled a great deal in my profession - fool me once but never again !

USA Today. 09/11/ 2016. For the Last Time: Car Rental Coverage Is Not Mandatory

from the link - 

So where does that leave you? Car rental companies will sometimes say anything to persuade you to buy their coverage, including bending a few facts and withholding the car keys. You need to be ready with ample documentation of coverage and a little knowledge of state insurance law (see below). That's the only fix — you have to fight fallacy with facts.

More info at the link 

Info Seeker

AARP Services Warning

Message 3 of 3 (215 Views)

I thought it appropriate to share an experience with you, one that should serve as a warning to you while using AARP services.
Recently I traveled to England and booked a car rental through AARP. On arriving to pick up that vehicle, I was refused an opportunity to decline the CDW, only being allowed to take the car on payment of the additional CDW.
I was forced to pay for insurance I neither wanted nor required. The stated reason being that they required written proof that the credit card being used covered the insurance. There were three people ahead of me in the rental line who were forced to pay this unwanted charge and the person behind me, when they reached the desk, confirmed they were being forced into a similar charge.
Those following the Wells Fargo saga will realise, though in the two cases it was a different type of insurance involved, there is a clear legal term for the practice: FRAUD.
On return to the US, I reported these events to AARP, fully expecting they would be deeply concerned and eager to take steps to ensure members did not continue to be defrauded.
There was an initial show of concern, but that disappeared quickly when I received a email denying my claim (I didn't realise I had made a claim, I was simply alerting AARP to the situation so they could protect their members). The reason stated for the denial was because the confirmation email informed me written proof was required for the credit card.
The email did of course contain no such statement or warning. Two return emails inviting them to show me where it contained that warning were ignored.
Last week as an experiment I reserved, and subsequently cancelled, a car rental with the same company, which is called Easirent in the UK but appears to be part of the Fox car rental group. I have no doubt that had I arrived to collect that vehicle, I would have suffered the same fate.
There was no warning that written proof was required for the credit card. Further digging using the links on the confirmation email took me to a paragraph describing insurance which offered an ooprotunity to reserve extra insurance, but stating that those wishing to decline the optional CDW need do no more. The terms on the confirmation emails state exactly the opposite of what was enforced in the rental office. Simply they refused to accept the terms of the confirmation email.
While AARP can only protect from frauds and scams that have been brought to their attention, in this case they are now well aware of the practice and have demonstrated no interest in correcting it to protect members.
This is not really what I had expected from an organisation that claims to support and protect the elder members of society from scams and abuse. To say it is deeply worrying really doesn't describe the feeling. If they are happy to allow members to be exposed to this sort of fraud, how deep does it go, who can be trusted.
If the short period I was in the rental office was typical, then over opening hours throughout the year, the total extracted from customers would be around ten million dollars. This is not a minor scheme, it is wholesale fraud!
Whether Fox USA are aware what is happening, I have no idea, but would recommend exercising caution with either company.
Also, be cautious in using the AARP services as they clearly demonstart a total lack of concern for those who have been victims of fraud thought their services.