Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Info Seeker

Re: 10 Things to Do Before You Leave For a Trip

Message 1 of 7

Wow! thanks for the video. I might as well add it to my list when I get to visit Finland after some positive Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort Hotel review. Cheers!

Report Inappropriate Content
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 7

We've been traveling for many years, so we agree with all the points mentioned in the video. It's mostly about cleaning the house. We've not done that on occasion, and know it feels far better to come back to a clean house. It's a great psychological boost when you return.

We once failed to clean a coffee cup, with some coffee in it. We were only gone three days, but yes, we had a science experiment which we did't think could happen with something acidic.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 7
#6 unplug everything except the lights on timers in #9
Conversationalist

Message 4 of 7
Tell your neighbors when you're leaving and how long you will be gone, and any expected visitors (like someone checking the house and their vehicle make).
Conversationalist

Message 5 of 7

Also, turn down the water heater to vacation setting, and shut off the water to avoid possible flooding from a leaking pipe.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 7

Well of course there's the 'have your mail held at the PO' and 'stop paper deliveries' mantra.

I've seen things that screamed: "Nobody is home!" and those are:

1 garbage cans left at the curb all week

2 a few freebie newspapers in the weeds at the end of the drive

3 curtains left open all night, lights on

My suggested fixes:

1 Either skip garbage pick up that week or have someone pull your wheelie bin (as they say in Jolly Old England) off the curb. The latter is probably best.

2 Have someone check your place for such debris and clean it up.

3 Install pull-down shades 1 - 2 ft from the top of your windows, and leave the shades down (curtains open) while you are gone. This allows light in for plants, but doesn't advertise your empty home.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Community Manager

10 Things to Do Before You Leave For a Trip

Message 7 of 7

Doing these 10 things before you leave on your trip will make coming home a joy. From cleaning your house to putting your lights on timers, in this video travel expert Samantha Brown shares her list of must-do things before you leave on that well planned trip.

Have we missed something? What's on your pre-travel checklist?