readers and tablets

Caring for loved ones?

Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Community
Work & Retirement

Trusted Social Butterfly
Richva

Has anyone done a long distance move with a pod?

I noticed a couple of posts on movers and I think this may be a good option for us. We are planning to selll our VA home and move to our NM retirement home in the next 2 years.  We plan to shed a lot of our Ikea furniture before the move and are furnishing the retirment house with new. Still, we have household items, some furniture we will keep, and a baby grand to send out there as part of "the big move". 

I wondered if anyone had an experience to share. 

Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
retiredtraveler

Re: Has anyone done a long distance move with a pod?

[ Edited ]

I have not done this personally, but had a relative use this option. She was happy with the much less-expensive cost, but it was a lot of work. If you're willing to put the time and effort into packing, it's a great option. She did hire, on an hourly basis, some people to load the larger stuff into the pods and to unload at the other end. 

The key to all this is good packing. Long distance moves means a whole lot of shaking and banging going down the road.  All her issues were with not protecting the furniture well enough as corners got banged up and such. 

Her advice, after doing the move, was to spend more money, and time, on making sure heavy bubble wrap (or other protective materials), is applied to all surfaces on furniture. Everyone balks at the cost of this stuff, but that will save your possessions.  You'll save thousands on a long-distance move, so spend the hundreds extra on materials to protect what you're moving.

(I'd sure like to move to VA if DW would let me --- just got back from annual DC trip :smileyvery-happy:)

"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see". - Gilbert K. Chesterton
“Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quiestest chambers.” – Pat Conroy
Please use plain text.
Trusted Social Butterfly
Richva

retiredtraveler wrote:

I have not done this personally, but had a relative use this option. She was happy with the much less-expensive cost, but it was a lot of work. If you're willing to put the time and effort into packing, it's a great option. She did hire, on an hourly basis, some people to load the larger stuff into the pods and to unload at the other end. 

The key to all this is good packing. Long distance moves means a whole lot of shaking and banging going down the road.  All her issues were with not protecting the furniture well enough as corners got banged up and such. 

Her advice, after doing the move, was to spend more money, and time, on making sure heavy bubble wrap (or other protective materials), is applied to all surfaces on furniture. Everyone balks at the cost of this stuff, but that will save your possessions.  You'll save thousands on a long-distance move, so spend the hundreds extra on materials to protect what you're moving.

(I'd sure like to move to VA if DW would let me --- just got back from annual DC trip :smileyvery-happy:)

Sorry we missed you. DC is a wonderful place to visit but you would not want to live here. Actually, it is a lot of fun even with the traffic and constant helicopter overflights but we are ready for a quieter lifestyle.  Makes sens on the bublle wrap/blankets. I wonder if you could open a hatch on tip when finished packing and fill with styrofoam peanuts?

Please use plain text.
PRN
Info Seeker
PRN

Pod is a company name. There are other companies that do the same thing differently. Smaller cubes, different rates, etc.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
likethesoup

We did a long distance move last year and after getting several quotes from professional moving companies decided we could do it ourselves for half the cost.  After checking into the pod idea, we used a self pack service called ABF U-Pack instead.  This service includes delivery of a 28 foot trailer (like a small tractor trailer) which was dropped off in our driveway.  We had a week to carefully and securely packed it with LOTS of stuff.  If we would have needed more or less time by a day or two either way to pack, ABF would have accommodated us without any financial penalty.  When the trailer was ready for pickup, we called ABF back and they were out the next morning to pick it up and haul it away.

They had a four day trip duration and called us promptly when the trailer arrived at their depot on the other end.  We asked them to deliver it to us two days later and they were here right on time, parked the trailer in our new driveway and told us to call them back when it was empty and ready for pickup.  Again, we had a week to unpack but that process only took us two days, so we called them when the trailer was empty and they were out the next day to take it away.

These guys charge you by the linear foot in their trailers, so if you don't need the full 28 feet, and only use 15 for example, you are only charged for 15 feet.  At the back of your load, you install a locakable bulkhead to secure your belongings.  ABF then attempts to sell the remaining footage for a commercial customer along the way if they can.  In our case, the trailer was used exclusively for our belongings and the remaining 6 linear feet went unused.

I would definitely use this service again and would recommend it to anybody, as long as you have the patience and willingness to pack your own belongings carefully and securely.  We didn't damage a single item, primarily because we worked hard on the packing end and used lots of padding, strapping, tape and wrap especially for the fragile items.  In the end, we did save half the cost of a professional mover and we actually had better flexibility on both the pickup and delivery ends as we specified all the dates and knew all our costs exactly up front.  The movers we talked to could not commit to firm delivery dates and all of their cost "estimates" were subject to change based on fuel surcharges, load weights, etc. 

ABF doesn't care how much your stuff weighs, and for the most part they don't care what you want to ship.  Movers are much pickier about what they will actually move for you.  ABF's charges are based solely on your linear foot requirements in the trailer and the distance they need to haul your belongings, all of which they will firmly quote up front.  

I must sound like a TV ad for these guys by now, but before trying it myself I had never heard of this option.  I'm very happy now that we learned about it for our last move.

Please use plain text.
Bronze Conversationalist
pagardener

I agree. We used ABF to bring all of my father's things from Florida to Pennsylvania when he finally decided to come north to be near family. It was everything "likethesoup" states. So easy and so economical. My daughter also used this when she went from her former home to her new one. This option is much better than "movers".

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
ProfPolly

We went from DC to upstate NY in 2007, packed a pod ourselves with help of a pro and watched the pod fall off the trailer and land on its side on the day of the pickup and nearly fall again at delivery. Lots of chips and scratches, but, miraculously, nothing was a total loss either.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
cattailsfarm

We used a similar service (United Mayflower) to move from rural Illinois to Sarasota. It worked very well for us. Nothing was broken or noticeably marred, even with mostly old blankets for padding. Your mention of a baby grand piano raises several concerns, though.

I'm sure I don't know the right way to pack a heavy piano for a long, bumpy ride (on its side? disassembled and on its side?). You should research this, even if you end up hiring a full-up moving company. One thing I'm fairly sure of--put nothing on top of the piano. Extra weight would increase risk to the instrument. 

Best of luck.

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
JAdamsID

We used Pods for a short-distance move and everything was fine until we unpacked. Several of the blankets we used (rented from Pods) had maggots in them and all over a couple of pieces of furniture. We notified the company and they said it was obviously our fault! Since there was no food type stuff in the Pod, the bugs had to have been in the blankets we we rented them. Pods was completely inflexible and refused to consider a part refund. Have never used them again and have advised others not to.
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
nancyj222

We moved from Mass to Florida a year ago last January and we did use a large pod from POD service.  I only kept a bedroom set (no mattresses) some end tables and everything else was packed in plastic tubs I bought (moving to Florida, I did not want items in paper boxes due to humidity etc) I did buy lots of bubble wrap (Lowes or Home Depot) to wrap everything which I was very glad to have done.  I kept old blankets to put between furniture and to stuff any open areas/holes inside the pod.  You can bungee cord or tie with rope different sections as you are loading the Pod so items stay in place.  I am very happy to say that everything I packed stayed intact and perfect condition.  My Pod had to stay at a storage site in Florida while I spent a couple of months searching for my retirement house and when I was ready to move in my house I only needed a few days notice for them to bring it back to me!    As long as you plan ahead how to pack and downsize as much as possible I highly recommend using a Pod!  I had the Pod in my yard for two weeks in order to pack it and when I had to unload it, I also  had it in my driveway for a month. You rent by the month so you can plan your move with ease.  Good Luck future movers!

Please use plain text.