AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: "The Collection" on PBS

Message 1 of 7

I've caught up with this series. It's post WWII Paris, so it was an interesting time for the fashion industry. I enjoy seeing the designs and the creative process of getting to a finished garment, and then the big show!

But then you have the Sabine family, and the surrounding characters. Now it gets soapy! Mama Sabine is hiding a secret, possibly connected to the war, and apparently has something to do with Claude. Claude is known to be gay and the family seem to want to keep that hidden. Claude is also the character that pulls you in. Paul is a ruthless and forceful business operator, but would be nothing without Claude's designs. 

There are many interesting characters, like Nina, daughter of the lead dressmaker. We know that she had an out-of-wedlock child that was given up for adoption at a convent. She is later agonizing over not being able to see it again. She catches the eye of an American photographer, and becomes the 'accidental' model. Paul sees her potential and asks her to model the bridal gown for the showing of his first collection.

I loved watching Claude working with Nina and teaching her how to model in the last episode. And then Claude saving the bridal gown that was sabotaged by a jealous model, just in time for Nina to gracefully show it off to end the show!

I'm hooked.

Report Inappropriate Content
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 7

I didn't start to watch this one as I have other shows I want to watch that are on at the same time. Some nights there is a gold mine of good shows and other nights, eh.  N.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 7

This looks really good.  I have not seen it yet but will def check it out on the PBS site!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 7

I have it on DVR and may watch it tonight. It sounds very interesting.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 7

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I wish these shows were on earlier in the evening! Smiley Sad

Yes, so do I.  It usually means I have to play "catch-up" later and watch the video on the PBS website.  No matter...it's a good afternoon break!  Woman Very Happy

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 7

I wish these shows were on earlier in the evening! Smiley Sad

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

"The Collection" on PBS

Message 7 of 7

Did anyone catch "The Collection" on PBS following "Poldark" last Sunday night?  (10-8-2017)  What do you think???

It's something of a mystery, set in post-war Paris.  The clothes are fascinating.  There is a lot of B&W photography, a lot of "stop-action" and still shots, as well as the use of symbols and color.  The first episode uses a lot of green in the midst of the black & white...does it represent money...or the scramble to rebuild after the war?  Red shows up several times...anger?  Violence?  Murder?  The Sabines are a strange family and yet there's a closeness among them...very complicated individuals.  I'm hooked...both for the fashion and the circuitous storyline unfolding.  I'd love to hear what you have to say!  ~ Mimi

About the Show 2017

"World War II is over and Paul Sabine is restoring Paris as the fashion capital of the world. His dresses are a sensation, and only his shady past and an inconvenient
corpse block his way to success. Dressing up was never so dazzling—or dangerous.

The Collection is a story about the price of success, set during a pivotal moment in France’s history."

"The cast and creator of The Collection introduce you to the stylish, mysterious world of the post-war Paris fashion scene. The Collection starts Sunday, October 8th, 2017 at 10/9c on MASTERPIECE on PBS.   #TheCollectionPBS"

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/clips/the-collection-s1-behind-the-masks/

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.