The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: "American Medevac" on PBS

Message 1 of 7 (455 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

ASTRAEA wrote:

@retiredtraveler - Did you serve in the military, were you a protester, or just generally embarassed about the whole thing?

I was a protester, but I was in the very first lottery. My number was over 300, so I did not get called. But I knew people who are on 'the wall' in DC.

I think the whole thing was such a waste of people.............

So long ago so had forgotten the lottery. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 7 (532 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@retiredtraveler - Did you serve in the military, were you a protester, or just generally embarassed about the whole thing?

I was a protester, but I was in the very first lottery. My number was over 300, so I did not get called. But I knew people who are on 'the wall' in DC.

I think the whole thing was such a waste of people.............

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 7 (541 Views)

@powgeorge - Thank you for your service, and what you went through for our country! Do you have residual effects from your traumatic experience .. or is it something you'd rather than think/talk about now?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Conversationalist

Message 4 of 7 (545 Views)
I was captured on 24 December 1961 and held for six onths.

Message 5 of 7 (553 Views)

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 7 (572 Views)

"...Has anyone else watched the documentary .. it's definitely worth it!...".

This may sound like a 'bad' comment, but I'm trying to forget that part of my life. Don't want to be reminded....

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

"American Medevac" on PBS

Message 7 of 7 (576 Views)

I watched this "American Medevac" documentary a few days ago, on PBS. It featured 8 men who shared a traumatic experience as young men in Vietnam, 40+ years ago. From Channel 13:

"During the Vietnam War, CBS News correspondent Morton Dean and cameraman Greg Cooke flew on a harrowing medevac mission to rescue three wounded infantrymen from an enemy infested rice paddy. Dean long wondered what had become of the medevac crew and the bloodied men who were airlifted to safety on that day in 1971. American Medevac tells the story of their reunion, more than 40 years later."

Seven of the 9 men involved are still alive, and were interviewed for the program. In addition to the correspondent & cameraman and 3 injured men, the helicopter pilot & copilot participated; sadly the medic had died before their filming.

There were some interesting similarities in the post-war lives of the pilot & copilot, that were different from those of the pilot & co-pilot.

Those men were all about my age at that time (I think the correspondent & cameramen might have been a few years older). Most of the guys I knew were in college & didn't serve; in retrospect, I was very insulated from the war. As a woman, I was actually surprised to see that 7 out of the 8 guys are still alive .. I wonder how what % of women born in the early 1950s have died of cancer already?!

Has anyone else watched the documentary .. it's definitely worth it!