Know Someone Over 50 Making a Difference? Nominate Them for the AARP Purpose Prize

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: The Voice Season 13

Message 21 of 292

It's looking like Addison and Chloe are still the front runners on iTunes. I've been rooting for Chloe as I would like to see a rock 'n roller win, but any win by one the girls is fine with me! Red is okay, but he sounds like any other traditional country male vocalist. It seemed that Blake was playing it up for Chloe to win more so than Red. 

All of the original songs were very good, and all of them charted in the top 10 on iTunes. I liked Chloe's song (Wish I Didn't Love You) maybe just a hair better than Addison's (Tennessee Rain), but they were both excellent! The song that Red wrote (I Pray) was very beautiful. Miley helped to write Brooke's original (What Is Beautiful), which made it very personal for Brooke. 

Of the coach duos, I liked Addison and Adam with Falling Slowly the best (it's the only duo to hit the top 10). Chloe and Blake had a good one with the Roy Orbison classic, You Got It. It was a good meeting point for country and rock. Miley and Brooke with Wrecking Ball was fun to watch. But the Blake and Red duo was just another corny country song, and I didn't care for it at all. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 292

@nyadrn,@MaVolta,@ASTRAEA, You all pose good questions and suggestions. They should put us all in charge.

Diane, you make a good point about the "Blake Machine," (even though I love Blake.) Not sure if it is just him, or the pure down to earth, red clay country artists that just flock to him. Was it just last season...I'm getting mixed up...that Sundance Head won the whole darn show?

Chloe ended up on his team by no trick of his, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if she walked away with it tonight.

Last night's performances were all fine IMO. Dumb song for Blake and Red as a duet, and what in the world was Brooke wearing for her original song performance? Cat Tongue YIKES!

All considered, I only voted for one artist last night...so not like me to do that! I truly believe in Brooke, and pray she wins, but if I had to place a monetary bet, it would be on Chloe. Now if Red wins, I won't watch the show next season. Cat LOL N.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 292

One other issue is the Blake machine.  It is undeniable that the country supporters are really a strong group and vote their favorites in.  That reinforces Blake’s position on the show and naturally he wins alot of the contestants to his team.  It is a self fulfilling process.  Just look at how well Red has done this season.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 24 of 292

MaVolta wrote:

I never watched AI, so I don't know how that show differed in it's handling of the contestants and winners once the seasons ended. However, there have been many from AI that become very successful, while The Voice people tend to linger. 

One thing that stood out to me in the article was the way artists were handled and treated by the record company. Several had cut ties with company including Sawyer Fredericks and Alisan Porter. Both cited that the record company had not allowed them artistic control over their records and songwriting. It was more important to them to retain their individuality, and be true to themselves as artists, than to stick with a bad deal. Others mentioned the failure of the record company to promote their music. That's a fairly good indication that the record deal isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Good points.  Sawyer won on Pharrell’s team. Pharrell is a producer. Wouldn’t he have contacts and influence?  

Message 25 of 292

ASTRAEA wrote:

OK - Big strategy question .. For "American Idol" and "The Voice" .. Do you think that instead of giving the judges/coaches $10 - $25 million each, that they give them $1 million less each, and use that extra ~$4 million to do more either for the winner, or even the top 4 or 6?

I don’t know.  The show should have lined up a good decent record contract for their winner.  Not sure if Money is the issue.  Were any of the Voice winners as good as Carrie Underwood?   

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 292

I never watched AI, so I don't know how that show differed in it's handling of the contestants and winners once the seasons ended. However, there have been many from AI that become very successful, while The Voice people tend to linger. 

One thing that stood out to me in the article was the way artists were handled and treated by the record company. Several had cut ties with company including Sawyer Fredericks and Alisan Porter. Both cited that the record company had not allowed them artistic control over their records and songwriting. It was more important to them to retain their individuality, and be true to themselves as artists, than to stick with a bad deal. Others mentioned the failure of the record company to promote their music. That's a fairly good indication that the record deal isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Message 27 of 292

OK - Big strategy question .. For "American Idol" and "The Voice" .. Do you think that instead of giving the judges/coaches $10 - $25 million each, that they give them $1 million less each, and use that extra ~$4 million to do more either for the winner, or even the top 4 or 6?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 28 of 292

ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - I'll probably watch tonight .. at least for a while. If things drag out too much, I'm changing channels.

Kind of disappointed in that article, which focused on the history of show partipants, but didn't really give any insight into why they don't do better commercially. I thought it was a MAJOR cop-out, to say that the purpose of "The Voice" wasn't to generate superstars like AI .. so they always intended to take participants who start out with more talent & presence than AI's contestants, and wind up with "winners" who just float around in the 2nd tier of the industry?!

I agree on the cop-out part  but seriously I do not think they know why participants are not doing better or they (the show) would take steps to help them as this is a constant complaint of the show.. but then again,  they are still a big hit show and so maybe it is not a major concern.

I love Jordan Smith and I am glad that he has done so well..  I will definitely see him if I had an opportunity.  He married his sweetheart after the show

Woman Very Happy

Message 29 of 292

@nyadrn - I'll probably watch tonight .. at least for a while. If things drag out too much, I'm changing channels.

Kind of disappointed in that article, which focused on the history of show partipants, but didn't really give any insight into why they don't do better commercially. I thought it was a MAJOR cop-out, to say that the purpose of "The Voice" wasn't to generate superstars like AI .. so they always intended to take participants who start out with more talent & presence than AI's contestants, and wind up with "winners" who just float around in the 2nd tier of the industry?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 30 of 292

MaVolta wrote:

@nyadrn - Thanks for posting the Huffpost article. It's the best one that I've read concerning past winners and contestants from the show's history. I had not noticed that Mark Burnett and Roma Downey were executive producers. They are good people!

It's interesting to see how varied the experiences are for the post-Voice careers. 

@MaVolta   I also thought it was a good article.. very informative.