The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: TV Stars We Lost in 2017

Message 1 of 43 (61 Views)

John Hillerman who's best known TV role was the stuffy British manservant,"Jonathan Higgins' on CBS  detective drama,'Magnum,PI" '80-'88 died yesterday at age 84

His other TV appearances was a semi regular on 'Murder She Wrote" '86-'92

John won a best supp actor Emmy in '87 for Magnum

He retired from acting in 1999

R.I. P John,you'll be missed

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 43 (116 Views)

Jack Bannon,who's best known TV role was 'Art Donovan",asst city editor on long running CBS drama'Lou Grant' '77-'82 died last month age 77.

This show was a spinoff of classic sitcom,'Mary Tyler Moore Show' '70-'77.

Ed Asner who played Mary's boss,'Lou Grant' starred in this show

Jack's parents were also actors, his dad,Jim played 'Red Ryder' in several films. His mom,Bea Benaderet, was one of the stars of CBS sitcom,Petticoat Junction" '63-'70

Jack is survived by his wife,Ellen Travolta{John's sister},step daughter,Molly

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 43 (198 Views)

Robert Guillaume who's best known TV role was the butler/cook,'Benson" on ABC sitcom,'Soap '77-'81 which was a funny satire on soap operas  died yesterday age 89 of cancer.

His other TV roles were 'Benson" '79-'86, a spinoff from 'Soap". Robert continued with same character,in this show he helped Gov.Gaitling,who was well meaning,sweet man but very naive.

Robert's other TV role was "Isaac',demanding boss on 'Sportsnight" '98-'00

I loved Robert's role in Soap,he was very funny in the role as he dealt with 2 families,the wealthy Tates and their 'blue collar' cousins,the Campbells who lived across town

He won an Emmy for best supp actor in '78  Sue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 43 (228 Views)

@DougIvy Hi,thanks for your kind words.

I have been doing a yearly journal for over 30yrs, I have top 10 new stories/sports and a section on well know TV/movie stars that have died.Even though its sad when they have left us,its the memories of their work whether in TV or movies,we'll remember. Sue

Silver Conversationalist

Message 5 of 43 (257 Views)

Although this topic makes me so sad, (and I had to take a moment), I will say thank you to those who keep us informed on this subject.

So many wonderful memories come flooding back by thinking about all the fun, joy, laughter and serious subject matter portrayals that all of these great actors and other 'people' brought to me, (us?), for so many years.

Yes - gone, but not forgotton.

R.I.P.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 43 (405 Views)

@doglover52 - It's actually nice to hear that some of these stars lived well into their 90s! I think that years ago, with primative TV & movie systems, the stars & crews dealt with makeup & other products that were dangerous with long-term use, and they died much younger.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 43 (410 Views)

Monty Hall who was host of the long running game show,"Lets Make A Deal ' '63-'76 died yesterday at age 96 of heart failure.

He would pick audience contestants who came dressed up in outrageous costumes to get his attention.The contestants could trade something they brought to get the 1st prize,then trade the prize for objects hidden either in boxes or behind the curtains. The hidden prizes were expensive jewelry,money,trips or  worthless items.

Monty is survived by 3 children,son Richard, 2 daughters, Sharon,Joanna Gleason who I know is an actress.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 43 (428 Views)

Anne Jeffreys whose best known TV role was playing a glamourous ghost in CBS comedy,'Topper" '53-'56 died on Weds age 94.

In the show{ based on the 1937 movie},she and her real life husband,Robert Sterling play "Marion&George Kirby" who have died in an accident. They come back to haunt their house and the new owner,a banker,"Cosmo Topper" played by Leo J. Carroll

Anne's other TV role was playing"Amanda Barrington" on 2 soap operas,"General Hosptial' and a spinoff'Port Charles" '84-'03

Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 43 (611 Views)

doglover52 wrote:

Richard Anderson whose best known TV role was gov't agent,"Oscar Goldman" on 2 ABC shows 'The 6 Million Dollar Man" ''74-'78 starring Lee Majors,the spinoff,"The Bionic Woman" '76-'78 starring Lindsay Wagner,died yesterday age 91. I had a crush on him Sue

Thank you for continuing to keep us updated.  Always gives us the opportunity to remember all of these people that watched and enjoyed and were entertained by.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 43 (644 Views)

Richard Anderson whose best known TV role was gov't agent,"Oscar Goldman" on 2 ABC shows 'The 6 Million Dollar Man" ''74-'78 starring Lee Majors,the spinoff,"The Bionic Woman" '76-'78 starring Lindsay Wagner,died yesterday age 91. I had a crush on him Sue