Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: TV Shows Available through Netflix

Message 1 of 12 (1,987 Views)

My wife and I recently discovered "Gran Hotel" (no 'd' in Gran) on Netflix.  It's a Spanish TV show similar to 'Downton Abbey' plus 'The Grand' (BBC) plus 'Monk'.  It takes place starting around 1904 and is filled with mystery, romance, and light comedy.

They speak Castilian Spanish but Netflix provides fairly good subtitles. 

The cinematography is particularly good for a TV show...a bit better than Downton Abbey and much, much better than The Grand. 

Netflix has 2 of 3 seasons available.  If you can bear to read subtitles...I encourage you to give, at least, the first two episodes a try.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 12 (2,033 Views)

MsStretch wrote:

I've been catching up with Hell On Wheels. I also need to start the 2nd season of Orange Is The New Black. I have a couple more on my To-Watch list which I haven't even started. Tried House of Cards; I know it's been critically acclaimed, but I just haven't gotten into it.

Hi
I am not familiar with either of these.  I will have to look them up.  Thanks
Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 3 of 12 (2,317 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"...House of Cards looks good and I will probably add that pretty soon!...".

Please consider renting the original English version. As most British TV, far superior.

Good point!  Will do,  I do rent foreign films in general fairly often.  It is interesting to see the differences.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 12 (2,333 Views)

I've been catching up with Hell On Wheels. I also need to start the 2nd season of Orange Is The New Black. I have a couple more on my To-Watch list which I haven't even started. Tried House of Cards; I know it's been critically acclaimed, but I just haven't gotten into it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 12 (2,344 Views)

We've been on Netflix for 5 years. 90% of what we watch is via Netflix, mostly series from the U.K., TV and film. Also have rented at least 100 foreign films from France, Japan, Poland, China, Russia, Germany, Netherlands, and a smattering from other western European countries.  Some really different stuff out there.

But, I dislike most of American mainstream crappola (IMHO) so you have to enjoy films that are more 'difficult' to like my picks. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 12 (2,346 Views)

"...House of Cards looks good and I will probably add that pretty soon!...".

Please consider renting the original English version. As most British TV, far superior.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 7 of 12 (2,364 Views)

RavenofNewt wrote:

I watched the whole first season of Blacklist last weekend so I would be ready for the Premiere Monday. Was great,really enjoyed binge watching. Also watching House of Cards with Kevin Spacy, wonderful show.Catching up on Fringe , CSI Miami, Flashpoint, House, and Lost. Saw the last few, just rewatching from the beginning. Netflix also good for movies. This afternoon watched ALL IS LOST with Redford marooned at sea on a sinking boat. He was excellent even though there was hardly any dialogue. What I like most about Netflix is you have your own shows on MY LIst so no one else can mess up where you left off. Can come back a few days or even a week later and pick up where I left off. Thanks Netflix!

House of Cards looks good and I will probably add that pretty soon!  Thanks for the other suggestions!

Message 8 of 12 (2,367 Views)

MichaelSpitzer wrote:
We have enjoyed Netflix for revisiting old TV shows like Incredible Hulk, Quincy, Quantum Leap, Leave It to Beaver, The Munsters, Crossing Jordan,

We have also used it to check out newer shows that may already be 2-3 seasons along but we missed them when they started..........

Our latest discovery was The BlackList

Good point that there are old classic shows available.. and older series.. like Sex and the Single Girl!  Thank you.  Havn't checked out Blacklist yet.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 12 (2,372 Views)

I watched the whole first season of Blacklist last weekend so I would be ready for the Premiere Monday. Was great,really enjoyed binge watching. Also watching House of Cards with Kevin Spacy, wonderful show.Catching up on Fringe , CSI Miami, Flashpoint, House, and Lost. Saw the last few, just rewatching from the beginning. Netflix also good for movies. This afternoon watched ALL IS LOST with Redford marooned at sea on a sinking boat. He was excellent even though there was hardly any dialogue. What I like most about Netflix is you have your own shows on MY LIst so no one else can mess up where you left off. Can come back a few days or even a week later and pick up where I left off. Thanks Netflix!

Mary Ann
Super Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 12 (2,401 Views)
We have enjoyed Netflix for revisiting old TV shows like Incredible Hulk, Quincy, Quantum Leap, Leave It to Beaver, The Munsters, Crossing Jordan,

We have also used it to check out newer shows that may already be 2-3 seasons along but we missed them when they started..........

Our latest discovery was The BlackList