What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 81 of 165

Early TV, wow.! That's late fifties early sixties. Some of the shows I watched, especially on Saturday were Sky King, Fury, My Friend Flicka, Wonderama, Mighty Mouse, The Lone Ranger, Pro Bowlers Tour, and Wide World of Sports. As a matter of fact, I have a set of cassette tapes, if you remember what does were, of every single TV show beginning and ending music, probably up to the late sixties.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 82 of 165

I loved the Flying Nun as a 12 year old in a Catholic grade school. Fantasies about nuns abounded anyway like what was under the habit that this program fed into.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 83 of 165

Didn't watch a lot of TV, but did see a few episodes of a lot of shows. I remember Lassie (always liked dogs). Flipper. A game show called Camoflage where you looked at a picture of random lines and tried to guess the picture of what was hidden in it. Leave It To Beaver. Dennis The Menace. Roy Rogers. Kung **bleep**.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 84 of 165

This is a really old show, taken off the air bec. it supposedly supported  racism (!) - The old "Amos & Andy" show...really funny, and MUCH funnier than any sitcom since, I think.   Yeah, there were sterotypes, but most were standard ones:  nagging wife (Sapphire), mother-in-law from the bad place, the shyster lawyer (a Mr. Calhoun) the con man (the Kingfish, whose laugh at end of show is still in my head!)..the kind of characters I still think are universal ones.   Was sorry that it was deemed negative-really; I see shows on TV now I think are much more stereotypically negative...!

Social Butterfly

Message 85 of 165

I grew up watching tv!  I had Howdy Doody, Uncle Miltie, Ding Dong School, Captain Kangaroo.  As I got a bit older, Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver, Ed Sullivan, American Bandstand (even at the tender age of 9!).  The old shows were great geared for families, clean and funny.  Today's shows depend on too much double entendres, sex and violence.  Watch Dragnet for a realistic cop show!

Conversationalist

Message 86 of 165

I grew up in Vermont and we had 3 vhannels and if the weather was bad there was no TV. We werer not allowed to watch unless it was raining out or after dinner. I findly remeber watching "The Lawrence Welk Show" every saturday night. I would sit on the step leading into the livingroom and be very excited to here the singers. I remember when Aurther would come out to dance I would also try to tap...Haha... so funny because even after I took tap I could not do it.

In 1989 I had my daughter and on Saturday night we would watch Lawrence Welk. When she went to school and the discussion was about music and she surprised her teacher with songs and singers from the 40s and big band era. I still watch Lawrence Welk with my mother (91) on Saturday only now it is on at 6pm on PBS. It still brings a smile to my face as I sing along with most all the songs. Fortunately I sing better than I tap. The tradition continues and cannot wait to introduce the music to my grandchildren oneday. So  for now I leave you with this....

Good night, sleep tight and pleasant dreams to you, here's a wish and prayer that all your dreams come true and now 'til we meet again... Adios, Orvour, Alvederzane. Good Night!

Info Seeker

Message 87 of 165

In my household we watched "Beenie and Cecil" , "The Lone Ranger", "Buck Rogers", then later "The Dinah Shore Show", "The Nelsons" (Ozzie, and Harriet & the boys), and "Ed Sullivan Show"among others!  

Info Seeker

Message 88 of 165

I remember my sister watching American Bandstand from the original studio in Philadelphia.  She watched it everyday and knew all the regulars and their boyfriends and girlfriends and ex-boyfriends and girlfriends.  When we were on a family vacation in 1960 we tried to get tickets to the show while we were in Philly. No luck.  So we went to Pop Singer's drugstore, where the Bandstand kids hungout, and talked to Pop Singer.  He got us tickets for the following day.  We called all our friends and told them to watch.  We gave Dick Clark a stuffed monkey while he interviewed us on the program.  Still a delight to remember our moment of fame!

Info Seeker

Message 89 of 165

I remember all of these and I loved December Bride. 

There was a spin-off from this early show, Pete & Gladys.

The star of Pete & Gladys maybe Henry Morgan (?) was later on M.A.S.H.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 90 of 165

The first show I remember watching on television other than the "test pattern" was the Howdy Doody Show.  My younger brother and I were allowed to sit on the living room floor to watch the show.  Other than that, or when there was company, we weren't allowed to go into the living room.  When I was older, some of the cast of the Howdy Doody show put on a show at the local high school, and students were asked to be volunteer ushers during the show, so I volunteered.  We met Claribel the clown in person.  So I got to see the Howdy Doody show in person after watching in on TV as a child.