What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 61 of 165

wmolson wrote:

I remember having to alternate "Zorro" (my show) with Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life" (my Dad's show) because they were on at the same time. He was kind to me that way; not insisting on watching his show every week.

@wmolson  Do you remember "the duck" with the secret word?  I think it was a duck 😀

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 62 of 165

I remember having to alternate "Zorro" (my show) with Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life" (my Dad's show) because they were on at the same time. He was kind to me that way; not insisting on watching his show every week.

Message 63 of 165

mr5822 wrote:

Loved the poetry quoting mercenary, Paladin. But my favorite westerns were the neglected Sam Peckinpah "Westerner"  with Brian Keith and the melancholy "Outlaws"..

We saw Paladin for the first time a few weeks back while staying in Utah. We were pretty amused to see such an old show playing back to back. And yes: remarkably uncomplicated programming and acting. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 64 of 165

I vaguely remember watching 'What's My Line' '50-'57,John Daly was the host.

The regular panelists were:

Arlene Francis

Bennett Cerf

Dorothy Kilgallen

Steve Allen

I do remember watching'Howdy Doody Show' '47-'60. When I was watching in the late 50's,didn't know "Buffalo Bob Smith' was from my hometown,Buffalo,NY,he created "HD'. One of the actors who played 'Clarabell the Clown" was Bob Keeshian who went on to fame as 'Capt Kangeroo'.

I do remember watching'To Tell The Truth''56-'68,Bud Collyer hosted,Garry Moore took over '69-'77.The regular panelists were:

Peggy Cass

Kitty Carlisle

Tom Poston

I've watched the updated version of this show with Anthony Anderson as host,sometimes its good depending on who the panelists are. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides

Message 65 of 165

IrishScribe3471 wrote:

I was thinking the other day about a tv show I enjoyed as a child.  It was called Beat the Clock, and audience members were chosen to attempt to do things in a different way, such as being seated instead of being able to walk - or using their feet instead of their hands.  After watching the show, I used a rubber band to fasten a pencil between my toes and attempted to write that way.  More recently I have used a cane to move a hanger with a sweater on it from one place to another and had to laugh out loud while doing that.

As a child I also enjoyed  watching What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth.  

There was another show that came on after school and featured cowboy shows but also had a segment showing cattle brands and how they were designed.  I enjoyed the creativity of the designs but didn't like to think of the cattle being hurt.  I would have preferred that the brands be drawn on with a magic marker, which we didn't have yet at that time as I recall.  I think the name of that tv show was Western Roundup

I also liked Howdy Doody and especially liked Princess Summerfallwinterspring on that show.

I liked What's My Line as Well and

omg Howdy Doody!

Message 66 of 165

I Love Lucy

https://youtu.be/8NPzLBSBzPI

Social Butterfly

Message 67 of 165

I was thinking the other day about a tv show I enjoyed as a child.  It was called Beat the Clock, and audience members were chosen to attempt to do things in a different way, such as being seated instead of being able to walk - or using their feet instead of their hands.  After watching the show, I used a rubber band to fasten a pencil between my toes and attempted to write that way.  More recently I have used a cane to move a hanger with a sweater on it from one place to another and had to laugh out loud while doing that.

As a child I also enjoyed  watching What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth.  

There was another show that came on after school and featured cowboy shows but also had a segment showing cattle brands and how they were designed.  I enjoyed the creativity of the designs but didn't like to think of the cattle being hurt.  I would have preferred that the brands be drawn on with a magic marker, which we didn't have yet at that time as I recall.  I think the name of that tv show was Western Roundup

I also liked Howdy Doody and especially liked Princess Summerfallwinterspring on that show.

Message 68 of 165

dm98065675 wrote:

Carol Burnet , Ed Sulivan and Sammy Terrry

@dm98065675

Loved Carol Burnet and Ed Sullivan. Don't know Sammy Terry

Message 69 of 165

rb591746 wrote:

I think of "early TV" as late 40s-early 50s.  My memories of TV in this time are precious, because I got to see so little of it.  Hartford,  CT had no station then.  I only saw TV when visiting grandmothers in New York or Pittsburgh.  I cherish shows like "the Honeymooners' (which actually started as a "bit" on the Jackie Gleason show) and Kukla Fran & Ollie (both released now on DVD).  But I long to see again another "puppet show" Johnny Jupiter, but have never been able to secure any video release of same).  Puppet shows like cartoons are mostly dependant on the quality of their writing and I never liked "kidstuff" that talked down to me, like Hanna-Barbera cartoons.  In the 50s, NY stations showed the old theatrical cartoons- Warner Bros. (talking pre-1950), Paramount, etc. as well as the Fleischer classics.  These were made for adult appeal and reflected sometimes very specific historical events like the depression and WWII. 

Hi @rb591746

check youtube for Johnny Jupiter.  It appears that there are some videos of that show 

https://youtu.be/ijZ9X53_uCM

Info Seeker

Message 70 of 165

I think of "early TV" as late 40s-early 50s.  My memories of TV in this time are precious, because I got to see so little of it.  Hartford,  CT had no station then.  I only saw TV when visiting grandmothers in New York or Pittsburgh.  I cherish shows like "the Honeymooners' (which actually started as a "bit" on the Jackie Gleason show) and Kukla Fran & Ollie (both released now on DVD).  But I long to see again another "puppet show" Johnny Jupiter, but have never been able to secure any video release of same).  Puppet shows like cartoons are mostly dependant on the quality of their writing and I never liked "kidstuff" that talked down to me, like Hanna-Barbera cartoons.  In the 50s, NY stations showed the old theatrical cartoons- Warner Bros. (talking pre-1950), Paramount, etc. as well as the Fleischer classics.  These were made for adult appeal and reflected sometimes very specific historical events like the depression and WWII.