What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 91 of 165

I remember watching the boys grow up on Ozzie and Harriet.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 92 of 165

Of course, you can’t forget the Ed Sullivan show, What’s My Line?, Highway Patrol, Cannon, Mannix, Art Linkletter Show.

i saw and introduced myself to Art Linkletter in the Tampa-St. Petersburg Airport in 1999. I saw him and just had to show my respects. I was later told he would frequent the airport and watch people...

Silver Conversationalist

Message 93 of 165

My mother told me early opera soap was Peyton place.see time I wasn't born .I was born 1964

Info Seeker

Message 94 of 165

the final one is "I don't know who's on third"

Info Seeker

Message 95 of 165

Replying to "Amos 'n Andy,

Don't forget the Kingfish's wife SapphireSmiley Happy

Info Seeker

Message 96 of 165
And RIn Tin Tin.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 97 of 165

ve got anvery obscure other short run show from the mid 1950's that was kind of an audience game show where they selected an unsuspecting someone out of the audience, no it wasn't 'The Price is Right', anybody want to make a guess, too late...it was 'Queen for a Day" sponsored by Playtex and starred Jack Bailey.  It ran on CBS channel 2 in Los Angeles from 1956-1960 and on ABC channel 7 from 1960-1964.  The premise was each woman in the audience was given a questionairre and asked why they should be chosen 'Queen for a Day"  It seems the best 'sob' story got the prize.  The women interviewed asked for simple things, such as a hearing aid for their deaf child or a new refrigerator.  it was usually something that would make any housewife at the time happy, a washwer-dryer combo, a refrigerator etc  An applause meter determined the winner.  Upon winning, the chosen 'Queen for a Day' the lady was draped with a fur wrap and a tiara and music started playing.  The usual description of the prize from the manufacturer was mentioned, hey, it was a great 'plug' for their product!. Commercials featuring womans fashons were some of the sponsors.  The show morphed from 30 - 45 minutes as it became more popular.  A really obscure show rhat didn't have any similar spinoffs!  One more thing about this show, it was popular at the time as a 'game show' yet the contestants, random women chosen from the audience didn't need to have knowledge of trivia, like for Jeopardy or Who wants to be a millionaire!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 98 of 165

've got another very obscure other short run show from the mid 1950's that was kind of an audience game show where they selected an unsuspecting female out of the audience, and no  it wasn't 'The Price is Right', anybody want to make a guess, too late...it was 'Queen for a Day" sponsored by Playtex and starred Jack Bailey.  It ran on CBS channel 2 in Los Angeles from 1956-1960 and on ABC channel 7 from 1960-1964.  The premise was each woman in the audience was given a questionaire and asked by Jack Bailey why they should be chosen 'Queen for a Day". It seems the best 'sob' story got the prize.  The women were nterviewed in front of the audience and asked for simple things, such as a hearing aid for their deaf child or a new refrigerator.  it was usually something that would make any housewife at the time happy, a washwer-dryer combo, a refrigerator, vacuum cleaner etc  An applause meter determined the winner.  Upon winning, the chosen 'Queen for a Day' was draped with a fur wrap and a tiara. Commercials featuring womans fashons were some of the sponsors.  The show morphed from 30 - 45 minutes as it became more popular.  Really obscure show rhat didn't have any similar spinoffs!

Silver Conversationalist
w972822m

Re: Early TV programs Do You Re
Conversationalist

Message 99 of 165

I see someone else beat me to the correction for "The Millionaire." Michael Anthony's unseen (but heard) employer was John Beresford Tipton. In my favorite remembered episode the check was deposited in a little girl's bank account. The parents thought it was a mistake but they found out by the end that it was real. Like most TV shows in those early days it was just a half-hour drama.

We had the first TV on our block when I was a kid. I can remember shows beginning from 1950, so many I've wanted to see again. There was a 1953 syndicated half-hour drama anthology, "Orient Express." There was "Stories of the Century," starring Jim Davis as a railroad detective who dealt with famous bandits of the old west. There was "I Married Joan," a marital sitcom with Joan Davis and Jim Backus, 1952-55. So many!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 100 of 165

I've got anvery obscure other short run show from the mid 1950's that was kind of an audience game show where they selected an unsuspecting someone out of the audience, no it wasn't 'The Price is Right', anybody want to make a guess, too late...it was 'Queen for a Day" sponsored by Playtex and starred Jack Bailey.  It ran on CBS channel 2 in Los Angeles from 1956-1960 and on ABC channel 7 from 1960-1964.  The premise was each woman in the audience was given a questionairre and asked why they should be chosen 'Queen for a Day"  It seems the best 'sob' story got the prize.  The women interviewed asked for simple things, such as a hearing aid for their deaf child or a new refrigerator.  it was usually something that would make any housewife at the time happy, a washwer-dryer combo, a refrigerator etc  An applause meter determined the winner.  Upon winning, the chosen 'Wueen for a Day' was draped with a fur wrap and a tiara. Commercials featuring womans fashons were some of the sponsors.  The show morphed from 30 - 45 minutes as it became more popular.  Really obscure show rhat didn't have any similar spinoffs!