The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: 40 Best Science Fiction TV Shows of All Time

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 6 (312 Views)

"...The Rand Corporation in planning the show, which gave it a sense of realism, albeit theoretical realism....".

That's one of the definitions of good sci-fi. Take accepted fact and theory, then build on that. Being a nerd, I used to read about the science behind the ship, operating system, weapons, etc. I mean, who would not want to learn about photon torpedoes???  Smiley Very Happy

"...The conversion of 1kg of mass into energy yields ~21.5 Megatons. 3kg of Antimatter reacting with 3kg of Matter would give ~21.5 x 6 = ~129 Megatons. That's 2.58 times the detonated yield of the Soviet Tsar Bomba and 1.29 times the design yield. Why on Earth or any planet would you need a weapon that strong? That means that those so called shields are impossible - no ship could take one hit from something like that let alone multiple hits - something like that could vaporize a fleet of Enterprise - A class starships not to mention the gamma and X-ray flux would spread out over a vast area since there isn't an atmosphere to diffuse them....".

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 6 (326 Views)

For my money, Star Trek set the standard for space-based, futuristic Science Fiction Television.  With some A-List writers creating the stories, it's great special effects (for the time), its almost obsessive zeal to maintain continuity between shows and characters and it's attempt to show respect for all races and species as worthy of respect (even the 'bad guys') the show was way ahead of it's time.

And it was the best recruiting tool NASA ever had.

I also absolutely loved The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, but they were not episodic series' and more 'anthologies.  Star Trek was more episodic but with a central theme as its backstory (the technology, the Federation and even the 'villians' were pretty consistent.  It was the series that made a lot of us growing up in the 60s think "hey, this could actually happen".

As for Star Wars, although I loved the series of movies, it was not science fiction.  It was science fantasy, as it had almost no connection to actual science (although having weird crap in my bloodstream giving me super powers would be cool).

Star Trek, OTOH did their best to be as scientifically accurate as was possible within the confines of an 'action-adventure' show.  Gene Roddenberry even consulted with actual scientists, engineers and the big-name think tank, The Rand Corporation in planning the show, which gave it a sense of realism, albeit theoretical realism.  The often forgotten 'Space 1999' had some of that theoretical realism  too, although the real year 1999 was nothing like it.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6 (380 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

Don't agree. Never liked Dr. Who. Didn't think Battlestart Gallactica was good.

Where is the Outer Limits?  Babylon 5, Torchwood. #1 to me would be Next Gen. I do realize original Star Trek set the bar. It's too silly to watch now, but Next Gen still stands the time test. Of course, Outer Limits is outdated, but how it was done was so original. I would put X-files up in the top 10.

Oh well. We all have our faves........ I've stated before that 100% of my pleasure reading is sci-fi. But I've also stated that most TV/film sci-fi is not very well done. It's difficult to do good sci-fi.

"...Mulder: We've both lost so much... but I believe that what we're looking for is in the X-Files. I'm more certain than ever that the truth is in there.

Scully: I've heard the truth, Mulder. Now what I want are the answers....".

I agree that it is sometimes hard to portray sci-fi on tv...  agree on The Outer Limits!!  and  I LOVE  X-Files

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6 (421 Views)

Don't agree. Never liked Dr. Who. Didn't think Battlestart Gallactica was good.

Where is the Outer Limits?  Babylon 5, Torchwood. #1 to me would be Next Gen. I do realize original Star Trek set the bar. It's too silly to watch now, but Next Gen still stands the time test. Of course, Outer Limits is outdated, but how it was done was so original. I would put X-files up in the top 10.

Oh well. We all have our faves........ I've stated before that 100% of my pleasure reading is sci-fi. But I've also stated that most TV/film sci-fi is not very well done. It's difficult to do good sci-fi.

"...Mulder: We've both lost so much... but I believe that what we're looking for is in the X-Files. I'm more certain than ever that the truth is in there.

Scully: I've heard the truth, Mulder. Now what I want are the answers....".

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 5 of 6 (465 Views)

Do you agree with the list and rankings?

40 Best Science Fiction TV Shows of All Time

Message 6 of 6 (466 Views)

6. 'The X-Files' (1993-2016)

Like its shape-shifting alien bounty hunters, Chris Carter's pop-paranoia series could be a different show every week. David Duchovny's true-believing Mulder and Gillian Anderson's skeptical Scully might be hot on the trail of a government conspiracy, then track down a supernatural mystery or stumble straight into a horror movie. Its mutability gave writers and directors a chance to develop their own distinctive styles — you knew that if Kim Manners showed up in the credits you were in for a treat — and its visual sophistication paved the way for bringing cinematic values to the small screen. But the consistent way it treated paranormal phenomenon gave The X-Filessome serious sci-fi bona fides regardless of the route it took. It made you want to believe. SA

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/40-best-science-fiction-tv-shows-20160526/the-x-files-1993-2016...