Call Your Senator at 844-222-0104 and Urge Them to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Bill

Info Seeker

Re: Best World Series In My Lifetime

Message 1 of 5 (645 Views)

Last years World Series was a highly packed action-nostalgia event. All of the games provided some kind of excitement along with nail biting and hair pulling. It was a masterful set of games played well by both clubs that played to a thrilling.

Congrats to the long suffering Cubs and their loyal fans.

In retrospect, I still vote for the 1960 Series that also had exciting games and a down to the wire finish, literally. 

The heavy (poor) underdog (Pirates) going up against the mighty upper class (Yankees). All of the three Yankee victories were runaways while Pittsburgh fought off to win three close ones. The seventh game, now legendary went back and forth. The snobby Yankees going ahead, then behind. The Pirates had something that couldn't be bought with money-pride and grit, not to mention heart.

A Bill Mazeroski homer in the bottom of the ninth won the Series and most of the country's fans.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 5 (1,032 Views)

TappDoubt wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

That was a very thoughtful and nice post.  While I appreciate your comments and congratulate you on your win  we want a winner.   Thank goodness for The Cavs!

That does take the edge off, doesn't it? Congrats, Cleveland - it's about time your city got the respect it deserved. Now, about my hopeless Buffalo Bills ....

...Forget about it!

Ha   the Bills.. have you checked The Browns lately?   they have a lot in common : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 5 (1,051 Views)

nyadrn wrote:

TappDoubt wrote:

Odd that this year's WS discussion stopped after game six. Looks like that was a forum exclusively for Cleveland fans. Here's another perspective, though - from a 40+ year loyal Cubs fan:

First off, let me say that Wahoo's tribe put up an amazing performance. Game seven could have easily gone either way. Throughout the entire series, Tito and the boys found ways to confound the team with the best record in regular season play. I had just about given the Cubbies up for dead after game 4. I mean, what are the odds?

I hate blowouts in the World Series, but sometimes it happens. Those series usually don't stay in fans' memories very long. Ho-hum. But then, it got interesting...

The Cubs lineup woke up. Not with the long ball, but with bunts, infield hits, gappers, hit-and-run, stolen bases - and single, after single, after single. Small ball, baby. Suddenly it was a dogfight to the death. Maddon finally figured out why the Tribe was walking all over them. From that point on, we had real World Series.

Skipper against skipper, lineup against rotation, unbelievable defense against incredible base-running. The Cubs hit, the Tribe hit right back. No longer a series of pitcher's duels, it was obvious that the two best teams in baseball were now playing. Records were broken, stars were born, and some of the most unorthodox strategy ever seen in baseball emerged. You probably won't see that kind of action during the regular season, especially overworking the relief pitchers. Incredible.

Yup, this was the finest World Series I've ever watched. The curse was broken, thanks to a team that pressed so hard that it forced the Cubs to play the best ball they had ever played.

That team was the Cleveland Indians. Now Cub Nation passes the torch to those worthy opponents. We all know how you fans feel - oh lord how we know! I'm quite sure the Tribe will return this Spring on track for a rematch. A bit of advice, though - ignore all the talk about curses, jinxes, and the like. Just believe.

That was a very thoughtful and nice post.  While I appreciate your comments and congratulate you on your win  we want a winner.   Thank goodness for The Cavs!

That does take the edge off, doesn't it? Congrats, Cleveland - it's about time your city got the respect it deserved. Now, about my hopeless Buffalo Bills ....

...Forget about it!

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 5 (1,058 Views)

TappDoubt wrote:

Odd that this year's WS discussion stopped after game six. Looks like that was a forum exclusively for Cleveland fans. Here's another perspective, though - from a 40+ year loyal Cubs fan:

First off, let me say that Wahoo's tribe put up an amazing performance. Game seven could have easily gone either way. Throughout the entire series, Tito and the boys found ways to confound the team with the best record in regular season play. I had just about given the Cubbies up for dead after game 4. I mean, what are the odds?

I hate blowouts in the World Series, but sometimes it happens. Those series usually don't stay in fans' memories very long. Ho-hum. But then, it got interesting...

The Cubs lineup woke up. Not with the long ball, but with bunts, infield hits, gappers, hit-and-run, stolen bases - and single, after single, after single. Small ball, baby. Suddenly it was a dogfight to the death. Maddon finally figured out why the Tribe was walking all over them. From that point on, we had real World Series.

Skipper against skipper, lineup against rotation, unbelievable defense against incredible base-running. The Cubs hit, the Tribe hit right back. No longer a series of pitcher's duels, it was obvious that the two best teams in baseball were now playing. Records were broken, stars were born, and some of the most unorthodox strategy ever seen in baseball emerged. You probably won't see that kind of action during the regular season, especially overworking the relief pitchers. Incredible.

Yup, this was the finest World Series I've ever watched. The curse was broken, thanks to a team that pressed so hard that it forced the Cubs to play the best ball they had ever played.

That team was the Cleveland Indians. Now Cub Nation passes the torch to those worthy opponents. We all know how you fans feel - oh lord how we know! I'm quite sure the Tribe will return this Spring on track for a rematch. A bit of advice, though - ignore all the talk about curses, jinxes, and the like. Just believe.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Frequent Social Butterfly

Best World Series In My Lifetime

Message 5 of 5 (1,071 Views)

Announcements
Rush Aid To Hurricane Irma victims and Your Gift Will Be Matched, Up To a Total of a $750,000. Donate.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count