AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Baseball Fans.

Message 1 of 12 (1,890 Views)

m814261n wrote:

I agree that baseball loses a lot on TV, although with today's technology there are some very interesting aspects of the game that can be seen only on the small screen. Baseball, though, is a radio game. And radio commercials were not as long as those on TV, but now they are, because the game has to wait for the TV commercials anyway. This will not fly, I'm sure, but I think there should be either one 60-second commercial or two 30-second commercials between innings - no more! And no commercials during pitching changes or other time-outs, although it's OK to sponsor those (e.g. "This Rockies pitching change is brought to you by Mel's Marijuana Bar.)" 

I completely agree. As a young boy, 90% of the home-team games were caught on the radio. I still listen to the radio when I'm travelling for my job. We had a small B&W TV set, and our family watched the entire 1965 World Series on it (Twins vs Dodgers). Fuzzy picture, no more than like 2 cameras on the field, poor sound - it was great! And something else your post reminded me of - very few commercial interruptions. 3-hour games were awfully rare back then. Ahh, those were good times...

Well, TV technology has advanced beyond belief since those days. But, that hasn't come without a cost.

Unfortunately, the owners' appetites for profit has also skyrocketed. And, MLB has been more than happy to accommodate their greedy interests. The game is still great, make no mistake about that. But, the effect of obscene payrolls is undeniable - and has diminished the game to some extent. I realize that it's not just in baseball, but in all pro sports today. A handful of folks get wealthy, while most of America can't afford to take their kids to the ballpark. That's a real disgrace.

I really can't envision a turnaround, though. Money talks.  But......We still have the radio.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 12 (1,894 Views)

Well, you got your wish. Cubbies go the distance! Hands-down the best World Series I've ever watched. Yes, they did choke. These are, after all, the Cubs we're talking about. But that just made the series even more exciting. Hope you saw it all happen.

This is not your father's Cubs. Or grandpa, or great-grandpa.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 12 (2,180 Views)

I'm  a  Phillies  fan  so  it  is  another  disappointing  season  for  me.   At  least  they' ll  have  more wins  this  year  than  in  2015.  I'd  like  to  see  the  Cubs  win  the  Series,  but  they  will  probably  choke  somewhere   in  the  playoffs.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 12 (2,250 Views)

I love baseball but I guess I'm a little partial because my son plays for the Red Sox

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 12 (2,291 Views)
Players adjust their wrist bands for better grip and control of the bats.
The helmets and hats are adjusted for comfort as they are playing a game that requires quick thought and decisions and comfort is needed.
I think the length of the games are fine, do not want them shortened.
I love when extra innings happen, so exciting!
Yes, they make a lot of money but they have a lot of expenditures also during their career to be able to play.
There are many sports and even other careers (non sports affiliated) that are paid too much, but such is life and we just have to go with the flow.
If you enjoy baseball, watch it, quit griping, and get in the game!
I do have one gripe of my own about the announcers of a game.
When there is just one guy, that is great, like radio, you are told what is happening and that is it.
But let there be two of three, then it gets ridiculous.
Most of us just want to hear the game play by play and the update on an injured player.
We could care less about the announcers and when they played ball and what they would have done different and what was done wrong and how to correct it.
Come on, if they do a documentary about you one day and anyone wants to watch it, so be it, but for now, just tell us about this game we are watching today and leave the chit chat out.
Also, do not fault a player for missing a ball or throwing a bit off or missing a hit with the bat.
This game is played fast, very fast and you have to make that split second decision of where to run and put your glove out at, when to hit a ball or even if to swing at it or not.
Plus you got managers and coaches cueing you on what to do or at least try to do.
You may be very talented at the sport but there is more than just talent, luck, yes, my friends, luck has a lot to do with it also.
Just being off one fraction of an inch, one tiny fraction, can cause a miss, not intentional at all.
For any of you that gripe and groan about a play that does not go your way, get out there and see if you can do any better yourself, bet you can't.
Just enjoy the game, it is a great sport even thought it has it's danger.
Just my thoughts, I love the Detroit Tigers and Tampa Bay Rays.
Dede
Super Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 12 (2,387 Views)

Baseball is okay but it is too slow!  I am passionate about hockey.  Now there is a fast moving game that runs 2 1/2 hours instead of 4.  Yawn!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 12 (2,518 Views)

I enjoyed reading your article. I too played sports (team captain) during my school years. Being a Boston Red Sox fan I had to comment on last nights game. The Yankee pitcher was on fire and only allowed four hits until he departed after the seventh inning. The Sox were losing 5-2 going into the bottom of the ninth and with the Yankee closer now pitching the Sox rallied for 5 runs capped off by a Hanley Ramirez walk off 3 run homer. This probably seems boring to read but if you're a Red Sox fan during a pennant race you've got to love it. Great comeback!!

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 12 (2,567 Views)
I played three sports growing up and found that baseball was without a doubt the most intriguing and difficult to play. Where else do you need exceptional eye hand coordination to hit a 90+ mph object being thrown at you. You need coordination, speed, strength and awareness to be competitive in the game. I do agree that there is a definite excitement that exists going to the park as opposed to watching on TV and also there is a tendency for the game to be too slow. This I believe could be better controlled by disallowing players from basically redressing every time they are at the plate or on the bases. Between taking multiple deep breaths, adjusting both gloves, cleaning the bat, tapping the plate, adjusting their helmet, stepping away to "get ready" , these players need to simply play the game and not worry about how "pretty" they look or readjust everything they are wearing. The cost of the game, in all sports, is totally out of control. I do not believe that any player in baseball or any other sport is worth what they are paid. For a family of 3 to go to the game is now reaching $200 before your drive, parking and any food you may purchase. This definitely reduces ones ability to go to a game. I also do not adhere to the argument that their careers are short lived which justifies the money. How many people that work hard for 30-40 years can say that they have made $90-$100 million over the course of their working life. I would tend to think very few.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 9 of 12 (2,647 Views)

I agree that baseball loses a lot on TV, although with today's technology there are some very interesting aspects of the game that can be seen only on the small screen. Baseball, though, is a radio game. And radio commercials were not as long as those on TV, but now they are, because the game has to wait for the TV commercials anyway. This will not fly, I'm sure, but I think there should be either one 60-second commercial or two 30-second commercials between innings - no more! And no commercials during pitching changes or other time-outs, although it's OK to sponsor those (e.g. "This Rockies pitching change is brought to you by Mel's Marijuana Bar.)" 

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 12 (2,709 Views)

I have 3 grandsons who are really into playing baseball. All are on at least one home team and a travel team (really hard on the parents and I help out when I can). Its a great sport for those that are not aggressive enough, or don't have the desire, or don't have the parents that will allow their children to play aggressive contact sports. My issue is that the typical schedule, particularly during the summer months, is not very friendly to younger children. the future of baseball is in our youth. Hoping for better discounts for the young, as well as better schedules for their viewing, and revisions to the game to make it more watchable on TV. Baseball is great at the ballpark, but loses so much on the screen. What can be done? Make eliminate some waste time, for one thing. Other things? I don't know, but if it doesn't change soon I feel it will be too late t save the game.