How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Social Butterfly

Re: Traveling on a budget

Message 11 of 35 (1,701 Views)

I stayed in a youth hostel in Seattle.  I got up the next morning and had to sweep the sidewalk around the place.  I couldn't wait to get done so I could go out and explore.  Took a ferry to Bremerton. went up in the Space Needle, eventually hitchhiked out to Aberdeen and visited my cousins.  Stayed one night on the beach.  A dog tried to steal my jacket.  Wandered around Eliot Bay, checked out book stores. Camped a night in Vancouver.  Got to tour a Coast Guard cutter docked in the harbor.  Watched the Sea Fair on the street one night.  Two police motorcycles collided during part of the parade.

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 35 (1,736 Views)

I've stayed in a number of them in several countries.  All of them were different.  I first started using them in Alaska where Super8s were $129 a night in 2009.  There, some of them require you to do a 10-minute chore.  Haven't run into that recently.  I generally try to stay away from the youth-oriented ones, but am staying in one in Newfoundland, Canada this summer.  The management is usually very nice and helpful.  There's a Quaker hostel five blocks east of The Mall in D.C.  Strict rules on quiet time, could use a few more toilets, but very nice for $50/night.   There are a number of things that are not really hostels but work the same way, for instance, in New Zealand you have private hotels; sometimes non-chain hotels in the U.S. and a converted convent in NYC. The new thing being pushed in Canada right now is rooms at the universities during summer recess.  They tend to be pricier than I prefer.  Don't forget to check on the parking situation, if applicable.  I talked my way out of a reservation in a primary Vancouver Island city once because I wasn't sure my car and some of my possessions were safe.  Apparently you don't want to leave anything in your car in a public garage in Toronto but my hostel in Quebec City highly recommends that option.  Hope this helps.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 13 of 35 (2,083 Views)

Dear Unica1:  My name is Marika - a retired RN with my husband Pieter a retired MD.  We both love animals and I am wondering how you house sit/ pet sit etc. around the globe.  Do you have to maintain a mailing address?  What about Social Security?  Do you pay U.S. taxes if you don't live in the U.S. part of the time?  Just wondering how you live the way you live in order to do likewise and provide a much needed service.  Warm Regards!

Silver Conversationalist

Message 14 of 35 (4,384 Views)

Unica1 wrote:
Has anyone ever traveled using a house and pet sitting program? If so how was your experience?

We’ve been doing (free) house/pet sitting for the past 3 ½ years. We don’t get paid, but it’s a wonderful way to extend our travel budget since we care for the house and pet(s) in exchange for free accommodations. We’ve been to Australia for three months, twice in New Zealand for six weeks each time, four times in Spain each time 4-5 weeks in length, two months in London, Scotland, three months in Anguilla in the Caribbean. Closer to home, we’ve cared for pets in Santa Fe for three months, Southern California, Palm Springs, Arizona and multiple sits in Florida. It’s a wonderful concept. We get to travel and the pet owners get caring, responsible, pet-loving retirees who do in-home pet sitting at no cost….giving them peace of mind while they are traveling. There are literally thousands of qualified sitters as part of this network who have tremendous experience and are willing to watch pets and the home for free. There are various online websites you can join for a fee that connect the pet/homeowners who are traveling with the free in-home pet sitters. We belong to about seven of these sites, some are better than others. We've met wonderful people from around the world and it's been a great way to travel. If you’d like any more details, you can send a private message.
Info Seeker

Message 15 of 35 (4,954 Views)

I stayed in hostels in Costa Rica. I was 62 and it was a very positive experience. Each time I had my own private room. Go on Hostel World and it will provide reviews of all hostels.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 35 (5,196 Views)

I started Pet Sitting when I lost my dog in Hawaii in the 80's. I lived in and cared for many dogs, cats birds rodents etc. I have a clean record & do not drink or do drugs. Everyone was so very pleased with my service. Of course, they did not realize how much it meant to me, But all my time was given to the pets, so I was asked back. Since in Florida, I have been doing it in my area of Southbend, Port St. Lucie. We have had the most loving pets in our home & staying in their homes too.I wish I could find someone for our 2 cats now? The past two times have not worked out as the sitter worked (not telling us) & hence our pets were neglegted.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 17 of 35 (5,200 Views)

kl1259 wrote:

ab1413ccc wrote:
I haven't, but it has been awful the two times I had to board my cats. One came home both times with bladder infections and the other suddenly developed Feline Leukemia and passed soon after.

Is there a site for this sort of house sitting/pet sitting? I now have two cats and a dog and none of them like being in the car. I just can't leave them in a boarding house and wait for who knows what to happen again.

So sorry to hear about your cat dying.  As you point out, boarding isn't the best solution for many reasons.

That's why free in-home pet sitting is so wonderful.  Your cats and dog get to stay in their comfortable environment.  Plus, having someone in your home provides an additional level of security.

Having done free in-home pet sitting for the past three years, we have lots of tips and advise.

See www.retireespetsitforfree.com

We hope it works out for you....and your pets...and that you can travel with peace of mind knowing your pets are being well cared for.   Laurie and Keith

Sorry, forgot to mention that we aren't promoting ourselves, but rather the CONCEPT of free in-home pet sitting.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 18 of 35 (5,212 Views)

"....Has anyone stayed at any hostels and what was your experience?....".

Done a lot of traveling, but not stayed in a hostel. Have tourer a lot of them, have talked to a lot of people who have slept in them. Conclusion? They're all different. If you have specific ideas about where you might want to travel to, I would check to see if there are hostels available, then look at reviews. I'm a fan of Tripadvisor for travel info.

Some hostels are like boot camp in the army, some have separate bedrooms (at a higher cost, of course). Security concerns have to be addressed (where are you going to keep your wallet while sleeping?). Hostels come in all different sizes. Do you have any kitchen privileges, or is it just a place to bunk?  Are men and women separated, and by how much?

You'll have to spend the time researching if you're seriously considering doing this.

DW and I were long time tent campers. I won't stay in a hostel --- I would tent camp. Of course, that option is not for everyone

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 19 of 35 (5,218 Views)
I haven't, but it has been awful the two times I had to board my cats. One came home both times with bladder infections and the other suddenly developed Feline Leukemia and passed soon after.

Is there a site for this sort of house sitting/pet sitting? I now have two cats and a dog and none of them like being in the car. I just can't leave them in a boarding house and wait for who knows what to happen again.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 35 (5,274 Views)

@mg3876572 - Please edit your post & remove your personal e-mail address. It's a really dangerous thing to post, on a public website! You can reach the other poster by clicking on their name, which takes you to their own screen, and you can send them a private message, to exchange e-mail addresses!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!