Info Seeker

Re: Traveling on a budget

Message 1 of 35 (579 Views)

Thank you for this correction.

Retired Traveler
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 35 (589 Views)

"....Their pet and house sitters are vetted and many have recommendations from previous assignments......".

No. They are not all vetted. That comes right from the website.

"....As part of our industry-leading Trust & Safety features, house & pet sitters registered with TrustedHousesitters have the option to complete three levels of ID checks and verification.....".

It's optional. It's up to you to check what level of vetting was done.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 35 (640 Views)

Yes, we have used TrustedHousesitters.com several times for house and petsitting when we travel. We have met some wonderful pet lovers through this site. Their pet and house sitters are vetted and many have recommendations from previous assignments. 

Retired Traveler
Info Seeker

Message 4 of 35 (643 Views)

Yes, we have used TrustedHousesitters.com several times for house and petsit ting when we travel. We have met some wonderful pet lovers through this site.

Retired Traveler
Super Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 35 (652 Views)

No, I've never done that.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 35 (661 Views)

Hi!

I used to have my vet's daughter look after my pets until she moved away. Then I spent a loooong time looking for someone else, going through a myriad of issues (individuals agreeing to care for my pets then cancelling at the last minute, unauthorized people showing up, etc.) until I finally went to Pet Sitters Interntional's web site and found a small, locally-run company called Your Critter Companions -- this company is owned by 2 brothers, not a "broker" or web site. I really like that they use vetted staff sitters / walkers. So far I've been very satisfied with their service, and have used them for over 2 years. I like that they are available 365, even for very last-minute requests. I'd recommend checking the PSI web site and steering clear of sites like Rover since those don't do any vetting of the people who post there....PSI provides a lot of guidance and a place you can search for reputable services in your area......

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 35 (674 Views)

I signed up for Trustedhousesitters.com.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 35 (719 Views)

To Silver Conversationalist,

I house sit here in my area for a small group of friends and has spread out to friends of friends. But due to retire and am considering to do it to travel.  Could you please let me know of some of the organizations that you us,

Thank You,

Debbie

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 35 (721 Views)

I have used hostels in large cities that offer private rooms.  The location is important.  Expect them to be cozier, noisier and may have stairs to climb with your luggage.

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 35 (722 Views)

Use VacationsToGo for discounted cruises.  Use public transportation (Amtrak, Bart, bus) to get to the airport.  Shuttles are more expensive.  Use FlipKey or VRBO to secure lodging.  An apartment is more comfortable and usually less expensive than staying in a hotel.  Stay in the middle of the action to save money by walking everywhere.  Hire a reliable petsitter/housesitter to stay in your home while you are gone.  Travel light!  Use a carryon that has straps so you can wear it on your back to climb stairs, ride a ferry.  Choose a color for the trip to help coordinate different outfits with as few pieces as possible.  Research excursions available in cities/ports as well as transportation to important sites to see.  Tours and excursions from travel/cruise are expensive.  Rick Steves gives excellent directions for taking your own tours on public transportation, all for the price of a current guidebook.  If you rent a car, choose Budget, and take pictures underneath the car as well as any dent, mark you see outside car.  Avoid independent car rental companies.  Use a credit card that does not charge a fee for transactions in a foreign country.  Use that card when reserving hotel rooms, tours to avoid unnecessary charges.