How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

mq
Conversationalist

re: Traveling across the States

Message 11 of 22 (3,797 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi Nancy,

Just did AZ in Oct.  2009.  Drove to Vegas for 5th in a row AARP convention from my home,  Seal Beach,  CA.  Friend from CT met me there and we then drove to Lake Havasu,  Grand Canyon and Sedona ,  back to CA  but for only 5 days.  Want to return in better weather (would love to float down the Colorado River in GC) for more time there but probably not yet.  April may still be too cold for Grand Canyon and Sedona.  Check weather.com for averages by day of each month.  Oct .was colder,  windier than usual.  18 degrees expected that night.  Snow flurries started and we left GC as it was that huge snow storm that crippled Denver,  etc..  Snow flurries in Sedona too.  Am  planning to fly to FL then rent a car and wander for up to 21 days from FL to New England.  Based on last year it will probably be about $30./day,  w/no drop charge, as they are repositioning their fleets.  May do the same in 9/10 from North to Orando for AARP convention which starts 9/30.  I always do a road trip around the convention.  Have met 2 people on this board that I roomed with in DC for convention and sightseeing afterwards in 2008.  Does this interest you or anyone else?

Hi JeanniefromCA!

We are practically neighbors.  I live in Laguna Woods, CA.  I like the way you travel and would definitely be interested in going to an AARP convention.  I can't make any plans however until after my trip in April to Turkey.  I will be gone 22 days and I don't know if I will have any money or energy left after that.  But lets keep in touch.  Perhaps we could meet one day for lunch.  I lived in Seal Beach at one time in the late 70s and loved it.  Is that funny old restaurant with the airplane on top of it still there?  Maxine

Silver Conversationalist

Message 12 of 22 (3,797 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi Nancy!

You sound like someone I'd like to meet.  Your travel plans sound wonderful and something I would love to do, however, I already have plans in April.  I live in a wonderful community in Southern California and if you are ever in the vicinity, do contact me.  I'd love to meet you and perhaps we might plan a trip together.   Maxine

Hi, Maxine,

I live in LW,  Seal Beach.  Small world.  Just sent you a friend request.  See my posting I just added above.

JeanniefromCA

Silver Conversationalist

Message 13 of 22 (3,996 Views)
In Response to Traveling across the States:

Good morning all. Posted a few weeks ago and got no response ,figured I would try again. Isn't their any young old foggies out there that wants to be adventurest . I have done it a few times by myself but now that I am getting up there in age ( young 71) I would like to find someone to go with for company and to share expenses.My schedule is flexible but would like to go this April.

I live in Massachusetts,female  71 years young, love to drive, very down to earth, My trip this year is to travel to Arizona..Am leaning towards flying to Phoenics renting a suv (4x4) and driving to Tucson,Yuma,Sedona, ( back roads part of the way's).Expect to be gone for at least (7 to 10 day's) figured it would cost me about ( by myself ( $2500 to $3000 ) That includes plane fare, car rental, motels, food and whatever. Small word but big word    If    anyone is interested how about an e-mail to this post and if you have any questions to ask about me will gladly answer them .Have a great and enjoyable day  Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Just did AZ in Oct.  2009.  Drove to Vegas for 5th in a row AARP convention from my home,  Seal Beach,  CA.  Friend from CT met me there and we then drove to Lake Havasu,  Grand Canyon and Sedona ,  back to CA  but for only 5 days.  Want to return in better weather (would love to float down the Colorado River in GC) for more time there but probably not yet.  April may still be too cold for Grand Canyon and Sedona.  Check weather.com for averages by day of each month.  Oct .was colder,  windier than usual.  18 degrees expected that night.  Snow flurries started and we left GC as it was that huge snow storm that crippled Denver,  etc..  Snow flurries in Sedona too.  Am  planning to fly to FL then rent a car and wander for up to 21 days from FL to New England.  Based on last year it will probably be about $30./day,  w/no drop charge, as they are repositioning their fleets.  May do the same in 9/10 from North to Orando for AARP convention which starts 9/30.  I always do a road trip around the convention.  Have met 2 people on this board that I roomed with in DC for convention and sightseeing afterwards in 2008.  Does this interest you or anyone else?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 14 of 22 (3,996 Views)

Good morning all. Posted a few weeks ago and got no response ,figured I would try again. Isn't their any young old foggies out there that wants to be adventurest . I have done it a few times by myself but now that I am getting up there in age ( young 71) I would like to find someone to go with for company and to share expenses.My schedule is flexible but would like to go this April.

I live in Massachusetts,female  71 years young, love to drive, very down to earth, My trip this year is to travel to Arizona..Am leaning towards flying to Phoenics renting a suv (4x4) and driving to Tucson,Yuma,Sedona, ( back roads part of the way's).Expect to be gone for at least (7 to 10 day's) figured it would cost me about ( by myself ( $2500 to $3000 ) That includes plane fare, car rental, motels, food and whatever. Small word but big word    If    anyone is interested how about an e-mail to this post and if you have any questions to ask about me will gladly answer them .Have a great and enjoyable day  Nancy

I'm kind of working on plans for driving west. A photo trip out old Rt-66 with side trips in all directions for photo purposes and sight seeing. Not sure of all the routes I might take or how long I will take for this trip.

I'll be driving my conversion van, towing a 19' travel trailer, for this trip. At the moment I have no idea when I might be doing this as I'm currently recovering from back surgery and my spring and summer horse photo work will start up around the end of April. I'll be photographing Barrel Racing for about 6 months. So it won't be before next Fall though.

I just thought I might mention my plans.

I am also in New York State near Saratoga.

Larry

Silver Conversationalist

Message 15 of 22 (3,996 Views)

Hello Tristan!

I still work full-time and cannot get on this website as often as I would like to.  I am retiring in July and will be moving back home, the the Carolinas, in September.  I can't do any vacations this year because of my move but keep me in mind for next year.  I like to drive and don't mind being the chauffeur.  Would love to meet you sometime.  One of the grandest vacations I've ever taken was in June-July of 2002.  My son-in-law was stationed in Newport, RI, and I flew back to visit he and my daughter for two weeks.  I drove out on Cape Cod, down to Mystic Seaport,CT, toured the Newport "cottages", and ended the trip visiting Salem and being on the Charles River at the Hatch Shell to hear the Boston Pops and see those wonderful fireworks.  My daughter and I also spent a weekend in New York City, playing tourist and also visiting Ground Zero.  That was a very moving experience.  However, I know there is so much more I would love to see in New England.  Keep in touch!

Anna

mq
Conversationalist

Message 16 of 22 (3,996 Views)

Hi Nancy!

You sound like someone I'd like to meet.  Your travel plans sound wonderful and something I would love to do, however, I already have plans in April.  I live in a wonderful community in Southern California and if you are ever in the vicinity, do contact me.  I'd love to meet you and perhaps we might plan a trip together.   Maxine

Silver Conversationalist

Message 17 of 22 (3,996 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi!

I saw your original post but didn't post because I knew I wouldn't be taking a long trip this year.

However, it looks like you might have found a traveling companion from Maine--Good luck!

I'm also in Massachusetts and I also love to drive, but my next big trip will be by train, hopefully.  For Thanksgiving, I took the train to Chicago and loved it.  Hence, I am hoping to make a cross country train trip next year on the Empire Builder which goes from Chicago to Seattle.

I wish you a great trip out west!

-Edie

This is a great site.  I only live over in New York in theAlbany area so I am close to Mass.  I have a daughter in N.H. and just love that area and go over as much as I can.  What part of Mass. do you live.  Maybe we can hook up for coffee on one of my trips that way.  

thanks

dot 

Silver Conversationalist

Message 18 of 22 (3,996 Views)

What a neat site !

Conversationalist

Message 19 of 22 (3,996 Views)

Hi Tristan,

I live in Tucson! So if you come here, I could show you some places to see in and around Tucson. Reply by email personally if you wish and I'll give you my phone no.

Lynda Hendrell

Gold Conversationalist

Message 20 of 22 (3,996 Views)

Hi!

I saw your original post but didn't post because I knew I wouldn't be taking a long trip this year.

However, it looks like you might have found a traveling companion from Maine--Good luck!

I'm also in Massachusetts and I also love to drive, but my next big trip will be by train, hopefully.  For Thanksgiving, I took the train to Chicago and loved it.  Hence, I am hoping to make a cross country train trip next year on the Empire Builder which goes from Chicago to Seattle.

I wish you a great trip out west!

-Edie