Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Info Seeker

Re: Traveling across the States

Message 1 of 22 (2,957 Views)
Hi, Nancy and all....it was great to run across your post. I live in Georgia and am a solo traveler. I'm going to Arizona in 2016. I plan on driving to Williams with back road side trips and flying home. I've often wondered if I could find a fellow traveler and this just might be the way. Hope it all works out for you and your companion is fun.....
Mary
Silver Conversationalist

re: Traveling across the States

Message 2 of 22 (3,753 Views)
In Response to post:

Dot,

I'd love to have you over for coffee!  I live in Belmont, a suburb of Boston.  Belmont is still officially a town but extremely urban.  We have wall-to-wall houses; the total area of the town is slightly over 4 square miles and the population hovers around 30,000.

Where is your daughter in New Hampshire?

-Edie

Hello Edie,

I will be in N.H. on the weekend of the 12th and not sure which way I will travel.  I am going to my daughters on the 12th but won't have time that day because they will have dinner plans.  I will see what the weather is like and if I go back the Pike I can give you a call.  Why don't you email me at dotdugs2004@yahoo.com and give me your numer there so y ou don't have to post it to the world.  I am really looking forward to meeting you so we'll see what happens that weekend. 

dot

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 22 (4,301 Views)
In Response to post:

Hello Edie,

Thanks for writing. I will keep you phone number and email address and when I am heading in that direction, I'll give you a shout.

dot

Great, Dot!

Hope to meet you sometime in the future!

-Edie

Silver Conversationalist

Message 4 of 22 (4,301 Views)
In Response to post:

Dot,

Ah, yes! Candia, NH is right next to Hookset!  I would love to meet you someday when you're in the area.  You can learn more about me through my website which is on my Profile ( www.mobilenotaryres.com )  I have a home office and you can get to Belmont by taking Rte. 93 to Rte, 95/128. You don't have to go into Boston to get here.

I know Hookset because once we had a flat tire there on our way to Vermont.

-Edie 

Hello Edie,

Thanks for writing. I will keep you phone number and email address and when I am heading in that direction, I'll give you a shout.

dot

Silver Conversationalist

Message 5 of 22 (4,301 Views)
In Response to Traveling across the States:

Good morning all. Posted a few weeks ago and got no response ,figured I would try again. Isn't their any young old foggies out there that wants to be adventurest . I have done it a few times by myself but now that I am getting up there in age ( young 71) I would like to find someone to go with for company and to share expenses.My schedule is flexible but would like to go this April.

I live in Massachusetts,female  71 years young, love to drive, very down to earth, My trip this year is to travel to Arizona..Am leaning towards flying to Phoenics renting a suv (4x4) and driving to Tucson,Yuma,Sedona, ( back roads part of the way's).Expect to be gone for at least (7 to 10 day's) figured it would cost me about ( by myself ( $2500 to $3000 ) That includes plane fare, car rental, motels, food and whatever. Small word but big word    If    anyone is interested how about an e-mail to this post and if you have any questions to ask about me will gladly answer them .Have a great and enjoyable day  Nancy

http://www.elderhostel.com/

Exploritas is the new

program name for Elderhostel, Inc.

Dear Nancy:

At 71, I do not think you should travel alone, especially in a van.  I am not advocating the above, but do know many who think their trips are OK.  Some church groups sponsor trips too.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 6 of 22 (4,301 Views)
In Response to post:

Dot,

I'd love to have you over for coffee!  I live in Belmont, a suburb of Boston.  Belmont is still officially a town but extremely urban.  We have wall-to-wall houses; the total area of the town is slightly over 4 square miles and the population hovers around 30,000.

-Edie

Hi Edie,

My daughter lives in Candia N.H.  I use the mountain route when I can through Brattleboro and into Keene because the scenery is so beautiful and there are great spots along the way to stop at.  I will let you know when I have another trip planned and maybe I can go through Belmont and we could have coffee.  That has been such fun meeting new people on this site.  Thanks Edie and talk to you soon.

dot 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 7 of 22 (4,301 Views)
In Response to post:

Cowboystuff, I have GPS files of the entire route (Route 66, that is). They are in Delorme Street Atlas format, but probably could be converted to some other GPS system. I have a set of maps, but when I go, I will likely have Street Atlas open on my laptop.

I don't have or use GPS. Just regular road maps and my sense of direction and adventure.

I have a guide and maps already.

Thanks

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 22 (4,301 Views)
In Response to post:

I'm kind of working on plans for driving west. A photo trip out old Rt-66 with side trips in all directions for photo purposes and sight seeing. Not sure of all the routes I might take or how long I will take for this trip.

I'll be driving my conversion van, towing a 19' travel trailer, for this trip. At the moment I have no idea when I might be doing this as I'm currently recovering from back surgery and my spring and summer horse photo work will start up around the end of April. I'll be photographing Barrel Racing for about 6 months. So it won't be before next Fall though.

I just thought I might mention my plans.

I am also in New York State near Saratoga.

Larry

Cowboystuff, I have GPS files of the entire route (Route 66, that is). They are in Delorme Street Atlas format, but probably could be converted to some other GPS system. I have a set of maps, but when I go, I will likely have Street Atlas open on my laptop.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 22 (4,301 Views)
In Response to post:

Dot,

-Edie

Well Dear,

I have siblings who live in  Surprise, Arizona.  I stayed with them for two weeks.  I live to travel and I have planned a trip to the Middle East with my church members and friends.  In the future I would love to meet traveling companion who like adventure.  

Missmaam

Gold Conversationalist

Message 10 of 22 (4,301 Views)
In Response to post:

This is a great site.  I only live over in New York in theAlbany area so I am close to Mass.  I have a daughter in N.H. and just love that area and go over as much as I can.  What part of Mass. do you live.  Maybe we can hook up for coffee on one of my trips that way.  

thanks

dot 

Dot,

-Edie