Help AARP Foundation raise $125K by March 29 to fight hunger. Donate Now

Info Seeker

Hostels are great!!

Message 21 of 29 (4,335 Views)

I have been traveling on a budget for years and a life member on American International Youth Hostels. Most of my experiences have been great. The best thing about Hosteling is you get to meet your fellow travelers, in both your room and in the community kitchens and day rooms. There are often impromptu  guitar performances and sing alongs. I have met so many interesting people over the years. As to to the the nay Sayers, who have brought up bed bugs. Get real, because this is a danger in all Hostels, hotels, motels, Pensions and guest houses. There is a huge outbreak of bedbugs in this country and any place that travelers stay can get them. This includes Hilton's, Marriott and popular motel chains. You just do not hear about the big chains having bedbugs because they have lots of money to cover up these infestations. If you go on one of those bedbug reporting websites for your area, you will see a bunch of major chain places named. The bedbugs are transported in people's luggage and clothes. These people pick them up on buses, trains, people's homes and other hotels, motels etc. I personally have never had any experience with bedbugs at any hostel I have stayed in.

Info Seeker

Re: Traveling On A Budget - Hostels

Message 22 of 29 (4,443 Views)

I've stayed at three different hostels in San Francisco -- Green Tortoise, Adelaide, and Hostelling International Civic Center -- and they were great. Only $39/night instead of hundreds for a hotel room or at least twice that for Airbnb, and they were really cool buildings with great community spaces, free breakfasts, sometimes free dinners as well, etc. After staying at Green Tortoise I was describing all the great amenities to one of my sons, and he said, "Why doesn't everyone in San Francisco just *live* there?" :-) You can also get a private room (I did that when traveling with my other son once) and it will still be a lot cheaper than a hotel.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 23 of 29 (4,463 Views)

In the 70's we took our children all over Europe staying in Hostels.  The Hostels were clean, very cheap and fun.  While in London we were at the Astor in Hyde Park.  In Amsterdam we stayed at Cocomama.  In Paris at St. Christopher's Inn.  In Rome at The Yellow.  We were young, our children were teriffic travlers and this experience provided us with an incrediable opportunity to travel that we could not have otherwise afforded.  With the Hostels were were able to travel and due things that we remember and talk about to this day.  Our careers turned out to be successful as did those of our children and when we travel today we do it up scale.  I honestly believe that our grandchildren are missing out by not experiencing what their parents experienced by our staying in hostels.  We have friends who have stayed in senior hostels throughout Europe and for the most part reported them as being OK.  Would we stay in hostels today, I would go for it, my wife and adult children wouldn't consider staying in any hostel in the US and are not in favor of doing it in Europe either.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 29 (4,566 Views)

No, I have never stayed at a hostel and, at this age, they have no appeal to me whatsoever.  I would stay at a nice, clean, private hotel since I can afford it.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 29 (4,580 Views)
Thanks for your input harpersal!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 29 (4,589 Views)
Eweeee! Bed bugs.
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 27 of 29 (4,623 Views)

Hi Social Butterfly. I have only stay once in a Hostel and I'm a hostel member. I stayed in Washington D.C. to attend the AARP Convention a few years ago. When staying in a hostel, check to see if they offer single rooms. I stayed in a single room in Washington and loved it. I had no problem with sharing the bathroom down the hall. There were individual shows and several individual stalls. The breakfast consisted of cereal, milk, coffee, tea, bagels, yogurt, toast, sweet rolls and fruit. So if you don't mind sleeping in a room with strangers, then check to see if they have a single room. Also there are no TV in the room. My room had beds similar to bunk beds but they were not stack up.  At some point I plan on going to a hostel where they do not have single rooms. Just make sure they have a locker you can lock up your stuff.  I'm in Chicago and they have a beautiful Hostel in the downtown area on Congress Street.  So where ever you are going, be safe, enjoy and take plenty of pictures. I'm a member of Hostel International. Also keep in mind that there are a lot hostel that are not the same. That's why I have included this web site for you so you can see pictures of the rooms. http://www.hiusa.org/membershipSingle room hostel in chicagoSingle room hostel in chicago

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 29 (4,640 Views)
My daughters stayed in one in Chicago in July about 5 years ago. It was nasty, no air conditioner or fans and no screens on the windows. Oh and this one had bed bugs. I would highly recommend to search for ratings for each individual one you are considering.
Super Social Butterfly

Traveling On A Budget - Hostels

Message 29 of 29 (5,079 Views)

Has anyone traveled using hostels as their accommodations? 

If so, what where your experience(s)? 

Would you stay at them again?

Thanks in advance.