Latest Update on the Senate Health Care Bill — Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Watch Facebook Live

Info Seeker

Re: Traveling On A Budget - Hostels

Message 11 of 29 (2,399 Views)

My daughter and I stayed at a hostel in Santa Monica, CA about 18 years ago. It was pretty nice and clean. There was a place outside to relax and grill, a lending library and a large sitting area. It was close to shopping and the beach, walking distance to both. I think there were different rooms you could stay in, we chose the dorm-style to keep the costs down.

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 29 (2,398 Views)

I went with my daughter to New York City a couple of months ago and stayed in a hostel for a week.  It was quiet and clean.  There were mostly international students there.  No one seemed to mind that I was an older adult.  We had a great time.  My first time in a hostel was a success!

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 29 (2,406 Views)

My family traveling in China recently stayed at a combination hostel/hotel in downtown Beijing. Our 22 year old son stayed in the hostel while we stayed in the hotel type room. It was great, economical and a super experience for our son. He met people from many countries in his age group and we were close by to keep valuables. He had a great time meeting people from Spain, Canada, and China. It was a great experience for a young adult, but I am not sure for an AARP member.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 29 (2,429 Views)

Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies.  I'm going to checkout the book on Hostels as well as Hostel International.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 29 (2,452 Views)

Traveled though Europe by train for 6 weeks with out a real itinerary. In a pinch we stayed in a few Hostels. Every hostel we stayed at was clean and modern. Most had 24/7 kitchens. Just be aware, if you want a private room, you have to book every bed in that room, usually 4-6 beds, (some more some less) and each room had 1 or 2 private bathrooms.

We usually booked the night before or that same day.

We used Hostel Booker at http://www.hostelbookers.com.

Never had a problem.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 29 (2,468 Views)

My husband and I have stayed in 3 hostels in Europe over the past 5 years.  We are in our mid 60's.

our experiences have been good- inexpensive, clean and conveniently located.  You do need to do research and clearly understand your options in rooms- dorm vs private, and ages of other guests.  Our first experience was an old castle on the Rhine River in Germany where we had a private room with ensuite.  Other 2 not as exciting but were comfortable.  Would definitely do it again.

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 29 (2,474 Views)

Hostels sound like a good budget deal. However, those who sponser,should go through an inspection and license grade, much like a resturant.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 29 (2,477 Views)

We have stayed in the Cleveland hostel many times - I can't say enough good things about it! We actually are locals; we live about 25 miles outside of Cleveland, but stay here on occasion when we don't want to drive home after a long night of "festivities".  The Cleveland Hostel has both shared and private rooms; the private rooms have two very comfortable double beds with clean towels provided. The shared bathrooms are single-use - so even though you share them with others currently staying there, each unit has just one shower, toilet and sink, so you still have privacy.

In addition, there is a huge, modern kitchen area and small lounge area. We've met some really fun folks by hanging out in the kitchen. There is also a rooftop patio with a view of the city, and it's in a trendy area. It's also close to transportation & just west of downtown. 

I imagine each hostel has different characteristics, just as hotels do. But I certainly would, and will, stay at this one again. I would check for reviews on any you are thinking of frequenting.

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 29 (2,476 Views)

I love hostels...at least the ones I have stayed in!  I have a senior membership, only $18 annually, and my grandson (who is sixteen) has a free membership until he is eighteen.  We plan to travel to some of the National Parks next summer and stay in hostels.  I want him to experience this ecomical way to travel and the fun and excitement of meeting people of all different backgrounds, cultures, and ages.

I depend heavily on a book by Paul Karr entitled, "Hostels USA" to choose my next place.  An excellent book...comprehensive, unofficial, and opiniated.  It is my TripAdvisor for US hostels.

I have stayed in bunk-styled rooms and private rooms and have only good memories of my hostelling adventures.  The camaraderie and community of hostels is fun and interesting.

I, for one, highly recommend hostels, as long as you do your "homework" first!

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 29 (4,587 Views)
You can find bedbugs in all major hotel and motel chains. This country has had a major outbreak, since they recovered from DDT spraying in the 1950's. To insinuate that only hostels have them is misleading.