Help AARP Foundation raise $125K by March 29 to fight hunger. Donate Now

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Re: Traveling On A Budget - Hostels

Message 1 of 29 (2,346 Views)

For me, I just need a place for sleep, so hostels, guesthouses or budget hotels are all OK.

Hey, has anyone try home-stay at local houses? I stayed with locals at Lak village on my trip to Mai Chau (Vietnam) & had meals with my host family. I was really impressed with friend ethnic people their. 

Info Seeker +

Message 2 of 29 (2,640 Views)

I would recommend membership in Hosteling International, as they vet the operations. It's fun meeting people from all over the world, and it's great to have a kitchen so you can cook your own food, especially if you have food allergies or sensitivities and find dining out to be difficult or just too expensive. My daughter and I have stayed at many different HI hostels in the U.S. over the years, and each one was clean and comfortable. The rooms have dorm-style bunkbeds, hard-surface flooring (great if you have allergies or asthma), the bathroom is down the hall, and the hostel provides clean bedding, pillow and towel. I bring a padlock to secure my locker, and flip-flops for wearing in the shower. We travel with a cooler and shop at food co-ops (we never leave on a road trip without the National Co-op Directory http://www.nationalco-opdirectory.com) because we're familiar with the brand names that the co-ops carry and can get organic produce. At least a third of the people staying at the hostels are over age 50. The one problem I've sometimes run into is there's no cheap place to park if you're in a city. But even the hostel plus expensive overnight parking is probably less costly than a hotel.

AllNaturalEverything
Conversationalist

Message 3 of 29 (2,753 Views)

I stayed a the Lakeside Inn in Mount Dora, FL for two days.  It was wonderful just the get away, like walking into another world.  If you are looking for a place to relax this is the place, beautiful sunsets and nice little quaint shops.  If you are staying at the Lakeside Inn everything is in walking distance.

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 29 (2,762 Views)

I would stay home rather than stay in a hostel. I have such a worry about "cleanliness" that I

need my own space ------ but such is life.  My husband always travels with me and we do

just fine sharing a room. 

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 29 (2,797 Views)

We came to hosteling later in life, with our first stay only about twenty-five years ago. Since then, we have stayed in hostels throughout the Pacific Northwest, all over Germany and in Ottawa and each provincial capital of Canada. We keep to the Hosteling Internatiional and American Youth Hostels and have never been disappointed. Our favorite was the HI-Seattle near the Pike Place Market, and it was a sad time when it closed. The new American Hotel Hostel in the International District is a fine replacement, and it is only a few blocks from the Seattle King Street Amtrak Station. We also frequently stay at the Northwest Portland Hostel. We have stayed in large dorms and rooms for 2-3 couples, but most often we get a private room, washroom down the hall. We might not always save money in a hostel but we take satisfaction that we are  supporting something quite worthwhile. Hostels are great places for travel stories and information about the local city. We’ve never encountered bed bugs or crime. We did meet a deaf mouse in Victoria, BC, and some really meager breakfasts. We keep saying, “We’re probably too old for this,” but we keep checking in.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 29 (2,801 Views)

We stayed in a couple of Hostels in Ireland. They were clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. We had full use of the kitchen and the rooms were very comfortable and had full baths. I would highly recommend this as a way of traveling in Ireland. We would do this again.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 29 (2,813 Views)

I spent 3 qweeks traveling through Alaska staying only in hostels.  What I expected to find were hostels filled entirely with younger people.  What I found is that half of my hostel mates were my age, the mix made for a great experience.  By talking with the people staying in the hostels I found about sights I would have never found on my own, it was amazing.  I found all off the places I stayed(Juneau, Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Homer, plus a few nights on the Alaska ferry system camped on the deck) to be clean, well run, quite and quite enjoyable.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 29 (2,818 Views)

I won't use hostels, but I'm glad to see people wanting, and doing, travel. If hostels work for you, go for it!

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 29 (2,823 Views)

I have loved staying in hostels. Met interesting people and it was nice to,be able to eat with others while traveling alone.made a few life long friends. Even enjoyed the Western Samoa hostel with a frig filled with roaches,,!,!

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 29 (2,831 Views)

My brother (age 85) and I (age 74) have travelled extensively for the past 10 years in SE Asia and Europe and have always stayed in Hostels with no problems.  We tried "Couch Sitting" a few times and they were a "bummer".  The hostels in China were equivalent to 3 star hotels in the USA and we met and made a lot of friends from all over the world and saved a bunch of money.  We always checked out the reviews before we booked and have never been disappointed.  I recommend them to anyone, even for old buzzards like us.