How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: TRAVEL PARTNER ......(Female)

Message 11 of 25 (3,256 Views)

Funny you should mention Motality. I had that same conversation with a friend last night at the meet up group I was with. It came up because my Birthday is Friday and I'll be 3/4's of  a Century Young. ha. I'm the last "ONE STANDING out of 14 as they say. I lost my sister in 2014@ 96 and My brother @85 xmas week of 2015. I'm shooting for at least a Century as my marker. I never realized what age was until recently.

AL
In San Diego
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 25 (3,262 Views)

MrSanDiego wrote:

I did say Dennis passed away last year.

Oh yes, I understood what you were saying.  I kind of skirted around the question because I didn't want to ask it outright.  I knew you two enjoyed traveling together.  I was wondering if you knew of anyone else who had passed away who had been active on AARP.  After the last platform change, many people didn't come back.  You kept that wonderful "hometown list" so I wondered if you'd kept in touch with any of those folks.  I used to hear from "LynnieBlue" and "Cajeha" and a few others but lost touch after some computer problems.  I took a long break but decided to come back.  I've lost three friends in rapid succession recently...it tends to make one re-evaluate the important things in life.  I'm happy to see that you are doing the traveling you so love to do.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 13 of 25 (3,266 Views)

I did say Dennis passed away last year.

AL
In San Diego
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 25 (3,083 Views)

MrSanDiego wrote:

I'll tell you what I think would be fun...to go to VRBO / Homeaway and find a big place to rent in the US or another country with about a half dozen others who like independent travel vs. tours.

I did this with my All female group which I hosted at my home and 5 usd rened a house on the Sea of Cortez shortly after our meet up 3gais & 2 guys. It was fun and a very nice experience. It anyone wants to, Set ONE UP. I'll go where ever.

Dennis who was from DC was the guy I did do a couple of trips with passed away unexpectlty last year.

Lasr April I started a 2 1/2 months Journey with a Lady from Miami ona Transatlantic crossig to  in Spain, Portugal, (Holly got sick with a major flew & intestinalissues and had to return to the States after the 1st month)  and I went on alone to UK, Poland, Czek Republic, Hungry, Austria, Italy in that order. I may do 3 weeks in Vienna, Budapest, Prague if I can find the right travel partner. This gives you an idea of my activity lately.

Thanks for catching me up!  You've really done a lot of traveling in the last few years!  Good for you!

I was afraid you were going to tell me your friend Dennis passed away.  Do you know of anyone else we might have known through the AARP forums who might also have passed?

This was in my email today:  http://www.oyster.com/articles/52252-5-popular-spots-threatening-to-limit-tourists-and-why-thats-oka...

Do you know of any other hot tourist destinations that are putting a cap on the number of visitors they will allow?

Message 15 of 25 (3,009 Views)

I'll tell you what I think would be fun...to go to VRBO / Homeaway and find a big place to rent in the US or another country with about a half dozen others who like independent travel vs. tours.

I did this with my All female group which I hosted at my home and 5 usd rened a house on the Sea of Cortez shortly after our meet up 3gais & 2 guys. It was fun and a very nice experience. It anyone wants to, Set ONE UP. I'll go where ever.

Dennis who was from DC was the guy I did do a couple of trips with passed away unexpectlty last year.

Lasr April I started a 2 1/2 months Journey with a Lady from Miami ona Transatlantic crossig to  in Spain, Portugal, (Holly got sick with a major flew & intestinalissues and had to return to the States after the 1st month)  and I went on alone to UK, Poland, Czek Republic, Hungry, Austria, Italy in that order. I may do 3 weeks in Vienna, Budapest, Prague if I can find the right travel partner. This gives you an idea of my activity lately.

AL
In San Diego
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 16 of 25 (3,092 Views)

MrSanDiego wrote:
You all did read that I want a meet first. I can offer references. By the way I'm an open book. Good to know people are reading the post. I haven't been on here for a Very Long time and I'm not comfortable with how to navigate this site now. Soosie thanks for the advise.

Keep on posting here, Al.  You will soon get accustomed to the site. We all miss your input and observations!  There are three of us still on this site who are very happy to see you here again!

There are women who post here from time to time looking for a travel partner and who either have no preference or specifically state that they would like a male companion.  There are a fair number of women who feel that having a man to travel with adds an extra layer of protection. I agree with that.  Having another set of eyes & ears is always an advantage.  Some of them need to have it stated up front that they should travel "light" and be prepared to handle their own bags.

I certainly think it opens up more interesting conversations...men and women observe the same sights, sounds and experiences in different ways, so traveling with the opposite sex adds another couple of facets to the trip...and can spice it up as well...lol!

You used to travel with another fellow for a while as I remember.  At our ages, many times our activities partners become infirm, find a love interest, run out of funds or just tire of being away from their home base for too long at a time. (Then again, they may be like me and worry about their pets.)   It IS tough to find a compatible person to travel with and one who can maintain an energy level to keep up with the pace of the trip and the expected activities.  I suppose those are all issues you will be discussing with a potential travel partner.

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals

Have you tried "Road Scholar?"  They send out great catalogues of their trips and are quite descriptive in communicating the level of physical activity one will encounter on the trip.  They can also help find a "roommate" to double up with if one is so inclined and wants to eliminate the singles supplement.

https://www.roadscholar.org/

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 25 (2,788 Views)
Al, I know that you are a great man. I had the opportunity to meet you and found you to be honest and fun to be around. I don't mean to sound negative, but in today's times it takes about 6 months for someone to show their true self. This is the voice of experience talking. Stay in touch.

PS: I am still working. I'm happiest when I am busy.

Your friend,
Soosie

Message 18 of 25 (2,794 Views)
You all did read that I want a meet first. I can offer references. By the way I'm an open book. Good to know people are reading the post. I haven't been on here for a Very Long time and I'm not comfortable with how to navigate this site now. Soosie thanks for the advise.
AL
In San Diego
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 25 (2,792 Views)

@Soosie - Years ago a friend of mine went on a group tour to the canyons of the SW U.S., with a couple (unmarried but committed) she knew from an organization to which they all belonged. It was funny & awkward to hear her side of the story when she returned, because I could read between the lines, about what happened. She brought too much stuff .. expecting the man to haul her overly large suitcase, as well as his own! At the end when she settled her bill at the hotel, she swore that she was charged for extras they'd ordered for their room, which they denied. When they returned, they didn't even talk to each other anymore!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 25 (2,600 Views)
Sorry, my bad. I looked too quickly. I am glad to see him post, but think one has to be very careful these days.

I know a man who traveled west with a lady he hardly knew. She turned out to be a compulsive gambler. I think she spent her money and most of his also.

Soosie