Make Your Weekend a Day or Two Longer With Cheap Trip Ideas at AARP Travel’s Take A Day.

Info Seeker

Re: Solo Traverler

Message 21 of 31 (2,336 Views)

My wife and I have been to Paris dozens of time over the past 45 years.

1st.) Plan to walk - pick a main street on either right or left back of the river--prefer the left bank. Walk in square grids--walking the small side streets. You will see and find some quaint small shops this way.

2nd.) Study and learn the Metro (subway system) - it is an easy convenient way to get around and if you have spot that is couple of miles away--use the Metro to get there. 

3rd.) Plan to do all the major tourist attractions

- Notre Dame

- The Louvre musem--but also on Left bank there are several smaller ones wirth going through

- Eiffel tower--and walk the park at night to see it lit up

- Hotel (hospital) of the Invallides - has great war musem in it--south end of Eiffel Tower Park

- Coffee in morning at small bistro cafes--people watch--same afternoon wine and beer from these small cafes--if warm enough street tables

- There is also a great small artist villiage north of downtown Paris on right bank- Sucre de Coure I think is area--it is on a high point so affrods view of Paris.

- fresh french bread--eat it every chance you get

- left bank has a food area- restaurants you need to walk through

Hope you are staying in small 3 star hotel--they are quaint--my favorite is ??? can't remember name right now

hope this helps

Info Seeker

Message 22 of 31 (4,917 Views)
http://eng.bigbustours.com/paris/home.html
Use these tour buses and if your in a city for several days buy the 2 or 3 day pass ! They go to all of the major tourist attractions along the major tourist interested thoroughfares !
Plenty of eating choices and if you don't speak the local language they are hassle free and and you will meet other tourist speaking your language who can give you hints of things they have done !
There are usually several major operations and the buses are usually red,yellow or orange ! We have used them in all the major cities of Europe and you can buy discounted quick entry tickets to major attractions also ! We love them and always use them when we have free time !
Enjoy !
Info Seeker

Message 23 of 31 (5,109 Views)

A woman traveling alone? You might join Women Welcome Women Worldwide (5W) (http://www.womenwelcomewomen.uk/) for their nominal fee, and meet local women who would love to meet you and show you Paris.

I joined in 1998 before I went to The Netherlands and Belgium to work as a journalist on assignment. After contacting and getting to know many women in both places, I had a grand time "being Dutch" or "being Belgian" while there with my new friends -- and seeing many places I wouldn't have otherwise, as I traveled all around both countries. I'm still in contact with quite a few of my 5W friends -- and some have managed to come visit and stay with us here in Vermont.

Nothing like being greeted in person at the airport by a friend. I highly recommend it!

Conversationalist

Message 24 of 31 (5,123 Views)

You can use Airbnb to find a place/room that suites your style and budget.  The subways are very easy to use; I've never tried the buses.  Take comfy walking shoes, but be aware that Parisians are quite stylish: dress simply (a nice scarf will go a long way and can cover your head when visiting churches - not always necessary); don't even think about wearing shorts.

The Louvre is HUGE; go if you like old masters.  The Centre Pompidou is big; go if you like very modern art. You can buy a Paris Museum Pass which avoids long lines - depends on how many you want to see and how much time you'll spend in Paris.  My favorite museums not to be missed:  Musee d'Orsay, Petit Palais (permanent collection free); L'Orangerie (a must); the Rodin Museum.  Do your research beforehand, so you won't waste your vacation time.

A little French will go a long way; Paris shopkeepers are often brusque, but don't worry, they're that way with everyone and they'll cut you slack if you try.  Plan on eating dinner late; if you go at 8, you may be the first person there.

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 31 (5,359 Views)

It's been a long time but check out Hotel Scandia.  It's a short metro ride frim the museums and the left bank, etc.  It was a very good and not costly hotel.

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 31 (5,383 Views)

Watch your wallet!  Eat at cafes and museum cafes, buy books, walk a lot, enjoy it.  Use the metro, but don't let people 'help' you with coin machines.  Don't ask me how I know this..........I didn't lose much but that was back in the centime/franc days.  Now it's euros and amounts are significant.   

Wish I were going along, I love Paris.  I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 31 (5,490 Views)

gaildt50 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I need to find a place to stay in Paris because the place I, was staying fell thought.

If anyone could offer you some places that not to over priced and close to most of the attaction.

Just repeating my post from a couple of weeks ago. Go into TripAdvisor and look at all the questions/answers on Paris. You will find many people have asked, and been answered, on places to stay that are reasonably priced.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 28 of 31 (5,544 Views)

Thanks for the advice. I need to find a place to stay in Paris because the place I, was staying fell thought.

If anyone could offer you some places that not to over priced and close to most of the attaction.

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 31 (5,586 Views)
I have traveled many places solo and have found that if you can learn a few simple phrases in the native language it can get you far. Also, purchase some euros before you leave in case you need to pay cash for taxi, tip, etc. Try to get a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee and has chip technology. But most of all enjoy the experience. I thoroughly enjoy solo travel and prefer to travel this way!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 31 (5,964 Views)

I'm a big fan of TripAdvisor. It's a free website. I use it frequently to post questions, and sometimes able to dispense advice myself, for travel to different areas.

The website is huge. But, it's broken down by country, than cities. You will find, already, that many people have asked the same questions about Paris (as they do for other major cities): what to see, where to eat, where to stay, how to get around.

I do a solo trip to England every year and have found the website an enormous help. You will also find links that people will provide for you to research yourself. 

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”