Senate Unveils Health Bill — and It’s Bad.  Call Toll-Free 844-259-9351 to Urge Your Senator to Vote 'No'

Info Seeker

Re: Solo Traverler

Message 11 of 31 (1,987 Views)

A few years ago I traveled to Paris, Lyon and Avignon with Road Scholar. It was an awesome, educational experience, with no worries about where to stay, where to eat or how to get around. I've gone on many Road Scholar trips because they do all the planning, there's always someone looking out for you, and you meet so many wonderful people.

gaildt50 wrote:
Hi everyone just need some information on solo travel. I will be going to Paris in Feb - Mar needed help as where to eat some things to do their. This will be my first time oversees solo. Help please. Leggs6?

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 31 (2,059 Views)

Hi, my wife and I travel all over the world since we are retired and we found that, including in Paris, a good way to find hotels within your price range and desired locations is to go to Booking.com. I am absolutely not connected with that organization but I used them a lot as I found their site is well done and easy to use. In Paris, incidentally I am French, resident in the USA since 1979, I would recommend an hotel in the center of Paris, either on the left or right banks of the river Seine, so you can walk easily to a lot of fascinating sites in the city. Try to get entrance tickets in advance on line. All museums, such as Orsay or the Louvre, have internet sites in English where you will find detailed instructions on how to buy tickets on line which will allow you to bypass long entry lines by using special entrances to the museums. Paris is a fascinating city to stroll in, shopping in the small narrow streets of the Latin Quarter or along the river taking in the unique views of Notre Dame and the Louvre. Go slow, enjoy, and don't forget to stop in a couple of pastry shops, they will blow your mind, and your taste buds....

Info Seeker

Message 13 of 31 (2,074 Views)

I travel alone all over the world and do my best to have an idea ahead of time of what sites---museums, cathedrals, etc,--I want to see and then locate a few restaurants nearby. You can do this with a little online searching.

As far as Paris, I would advise a few negative/watch out for things and then the rest positive.

First the negative----DO use the Metro, but make sure you do NOT have anything loose outside of your pockets or even on your arms (like a watch) ---and especially make sure that you do NOT have a cell phone or tablet out and waving it around. Also-----try NOT to sit by the door. I have witness 3 different "grab and run" situations---when the doors are opening and closing. Theives will time it perfectly to either grab and run as the doors are closing or even pretend to run up to catch the Metro as the doors are closing and quick reach inside. These people are PROFESSIONAL theifs.

Also---though most taxi drivers are safe and trustworthy, I HAVE had a few attempt to pick a fight with me because I am American. Mostly Middle-Eastern men who ask where I am from---and then start asking questions or making statements about USA. Say as little as possible and do NOT make any comments that could be taken incorrectly (I asked for one driver to trun down his LOUD Arab music---so I could talk with my companion----and he felt I was dis'ing the music. 

Positive? Walk a boulevard during the day and stop in to any cafe to get a coffee or glass of wine. Check out the menu and especially see if they have a "fixed price" lunch board. This is usually a GREAT deal and will tell you if it is a place you want to return to for dinner. Order a 1/2liter of house wine. Usually the less expensive way to go and usually good wine. 

Order just a coffee at a cafe during the morning hours-----and they will usually serve it with some bread and butter and jam. If that is enough for your breakfast---all it cost you is the price of the coffee. if you want more, you can order a croissant or something else. 

For a finer restaurant? Ask a concierge at a hotel or in your wanderings,  find an older style "bistro" for dinner. There are some exceptional places that are not TOO expensive yet do not solely serve the tourist crowd. Avoid the tourist spots. Every "neighborhood" has it's local cafe or bistro that the locals go to. Look, obviously, for the ones that are the most popular----and adjust your schedule to start dinner later than usual here in the USA. Most restaurants do not really get going until after 9pm.

Say "Bonjour" when entering a store ---even if you are just looking---and also say "au revoir" when leaving. We in the USA seem to feel that sneaking in and not being disturbed is the way to shop. It is taken as rude and insulting in Europe. Greet them and then thank them-----and you may find that they. not only, let you shop BUT they will watch you and offer better deals or guide you to similar items

and lastly------------smile and flirt!

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 31 (2,153 Views)

There is no one "main attraction" location. Far better to find lodging near a stop with more than 1 Metro line. The Metro & bus lines are your friends in Paris. You can find a Metro map online and most hotel descriptions will show the nearest station.  I often stay in less touristy areas - better lodginhg deal and more authentic experience. I am 69 and travel to Paris solo often. Never a problem. As in any big city, be aware of your surroundings and don't be foolish.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 31 (2,170 Views)
our entire family was in Paris in early 2014. We had a great time, were well received by all Parisians (contrary to rumors). I recommend the Metro which is amazing once you are comfortable with it. WALK everywhere you can, look at the architecture, visit the gorgeous bakeries, and use your best looking eyes to absorb it all. Go to the top of the ARC, (which we didn't know you could!), and buy that wonderful museum pass for four consecutive days admission to lots of wonderful museums! Download Rick Steve's guide to Paris on your phone and listen to all of it. Be prepared that PARIS is indeed EXPENSIVE!
Info Seeker

Message 16 of 31 (2,185 Views)
I've had great experiences with Airbnb. Be sure to read the previous users' comments. Very important.
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 31 (2,183 Views)

Rick Steves' guide has been very useful for me on several trips to Paris. I've enjoyed many of  his restaurant suggestions. A bonus - European restaurants post their menus outside, so you can see if you like what they serve. Many French compannies subsidize their employees' lunches up to 12 euros, so most restaurants  have very good selections at that price point, so I usually eat my main mealaat mid day and just pick up something light at one of the markets for my evening meal. Bon appetit!

gaildt50 wrote:
Hi everyone just need some information on solo travel. I will be going to Paris in Feb - Mar needed help as where to eat some things to do their. This will be my first time oversees solo. Help please. Leggs6?

gaildt50 wrote:

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 31 (2,190 Views)

When I traveled to Paris, I used Airbnb to find a place to stay.  It's a wonderful site for all types of accommodations.  You can rent a single bedroom, an entire flat, or even a whole house.  Have a great time in Paris.  

Info Seeker

Re: Solo Traveler

Message 19 of 31 (2,202 Views)

Have a look at:

http://www.journeywoman.com/SoloTravel/SoloIndex.htm

http://www.nextavenue.org/why-you-should-travel-alone/?hide_newsletter=true&utm_source=Next+Avenue+E...

I also came across a free book of tips for solo women travelers but unfortunately can't find the book or ther email offer.

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 31 (2,216 Views)
Place to eat: Buvette on Rue Henri Monier. Great food, relaxed atmosphere.
Tips: use the metro. If you have an iphone use the Paris Metro app. its easy to use, and you can use it offline. The signs in the metro are easy to follow. Also get the iphone app of the Collins Eng-French Phrasebook and Dictionary.
Reference guide: Fodors City Guide to Paris. Visit: don't walk up the Eiffel Tower. Go to the Arc de Triomphe. You can walk up the spiral staircase and get a beautiful view from the top -- including the Eiffel Tower.
Have fun!