Help AARP Foundation raise $125K by March 29 to fight hunger. Donate Now

Highlighted
Conversationalist

http://www.hotelsaintpaulparis.com

Message 1 of 31 (2,109 Views)

This hotel was amazing centrally located to everything, great breakfast,  Thet arrange everything, wish I was going.

CINDY

Community Manager

Re: Solo Traverler

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 31 (2,252 Views)

Thanks everyone for sharing some terrific tips & advice for @gaildt50. Excellent first-hand knowlege being shared here--I feel inspired to start planning a trip! Since this is your first time, @gaildt50, travelling alone oversees, may I also suggest checking out www.aarp.org/solotravel.There are many articles which may be of interest to you. Please do let us know how your trip goes!

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 31 (2,267 Views)

I rented an apartment in Le Marais. I HIGHLY recommend Rent Paris Apartments by Gregory. He is American but specializes in Paris apartments. You can find him on an online search and Facebook.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 31 (2,267 Views)

I was there in May. My favorite restaurant was La Petit Italien in Le Marais. You can reserve online on Open Table.

Don't miss climbing the bell tower at Notre Dame, amazing views

gaildt50 wrote:
Hi everyone just need some information on solo travel. I will be going to Paris in Feb - Mar needed help as where to eat some things to do their. This will be my first time oversees solo. Help please. Leggs6?

! An an hour at the Paris (Garnier) Opera House. And the Louvre, of course. 

You can reach Champagne in 41 mins on the bullet train. I went on a Champagne tasting tour and toured Reims on a walking tour. Amazing! Liked it better than Versailles. Anne, 52 from FL

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 31 (2,284 Views)
I agree, except I always wait and get my euros from an ATM at the first airport I arrive at in Europe. The exchange rates are consistently the best there, and my debit card rates are very reasonable.
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 31 (2,290 Views)

bt8429 wrote:

".... Make sure to write the numbers of your travelers checks down, this is, in case you get pick pocket, by some one.....".

No. No Travelers Cheques. They're pretty much gone, some places won't take them, usually higher rates are charged to exchange them. You need a debit card from one of the major banks and one that waives the ATM fees.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 31 (2,303 Views)
Few golden words from a French native. What ever you want or need, even direction or bus ticket, start with "bonjour" then "s'il vous plaît" and never forget "merci". Loosing this habit in US I get in trouble when back in France.
Air B & B. Works real fine. My family and friends are getting tired of having me squatting their couch, I use it now. I go their from the 18 to 7th of March. Enjoy, avoid tourist traps and chain restaurants go to a "brasserie " when ever it's possible. Buy a Paris pass, I have heard it's a good deal, depends how much energy you have.
Info Seeker

Message 8 of 31 (2,324 Views)

I personally would not go solo.  Having a partner is safer.  Make sure to write the numbers of your travelers checks down, this is, in case you get pick pocket, by some one.  Only take a certain amount of money you will need for expenses for the day.  The Eifel Tower Restaurant, will be very expensive.  Paris people don't really like Americans.  They can be very rude.  Do Not sit down at a cafe table unless you order something.  Carry your money in a very secure place on your body. That is all I can think of from my Trip to Paris.  Definitely go to the Louve to see the famous "Mona Lisa"..  It will be very crowded..  

Have safe and enjoyable tripp, take lots of pictures.

Brenda Tokar

DAV

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 31 (2,345 Views)

HI, get a copy of the 10 best sites to see in Paris. Stay in a good hotel. Get a good map.

Your hotel can direct you to a overview tour. You can get the hop on -hop off bus that takes you to the sites. Go to things in the same area. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. When you go in a store or business, say hello first. Sites to see : Notre Dame, ,the Eiffel tower, Arc de Triompe,

take a boat ride on the Seine at dusk. I do not plan ahead for meals, if I am hungry, I go to the nearest place and eat. Visit the classic places-Bofinger, Le train Bleu, The museums have cafe/restaurants. Do not forget the Louve, Musee Dorsay. That is more that enough to do over 1-2weeks. Next time I go to Paris, I plan to ask the hotel about hiring a guide, I do not like to be alone all the time. Have  a wonderful time.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 31 (2,355 Views)

There is a hotel called hotel du Levant just a block from PLace St Michel _ center of Paris.3 stars and only 85 euros for a single with full breakfast. The subway is 2 blocks and many attractions are within a mile.They have a good website. I have stayed there 3 times and loved it. Nice safe area with dozens of inexpensive restaurants.