The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Gold Conversationalist

Re: SOLO TRAVEL DESTINATIONS

Message 21 of 33 (4,834 Views)

Most of my road trips are throughout the desert Southwest. I like the vast expanses of nothingness and the solitude. On my trip last spring, 3300 miles through five states, I actually had reservations at predetermined stops. During my 2700 mile motorcycle trip in 2015, I stopped where I stopped & rolled the dice as far as getting a roof over my head. I always carry a map, 'cuz I can't depend on T-mobile and their shoddy service. I've been lucky so far...never been stranded, never had any trouble with critters (two- or four-legged), no breakdowns, two wheels or four. I've seen a lot, but there's a lot more out there yet to be seen.

Conversationalist

Message 22 of 33 (4,124 Views)

Thanks for your feedback and sahring your story! what a lovely photo!!!! souds you had a great experience! Smiley Happy when you travel-do you pick the country and the place randomply, you have you wish lits or how do you make a desition?

Also, what's your favourite solo travel destination and why?

Thanks!

Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 23 of 33 (3,932 Views)

(It would be so nice if AARP didn't take up the top 1/3 of the page with their banner.)

I just came back from five days in the desert. Spent two nights in the Guadaulpe Mountains, but had to leave because it was too crowded (half the 20 campsites were taken, so yeah...too many people). So, it was back to Angel Peak in NW New Mexico.

Angel PeakAngel Peak

I always travel solo. And the places I go, I have to take everything I need (including an ample supply of water). The solitude is what I enjoy the most. I had neighbors this time, but they were a young couple who were quiet & left me alone. This probably wouldn't suit most folks, though, as there's no water, no electricity, the closest town is 15 miles away, but there is internet. It's fair hot during the day, but a breeze is always blowing. In fact, there was a decent breeze my second night...+50mph winds and a bit of rain. (AARP doesn't recognize the URL of my video link.) Most folks probably don't want to go through the work of setting up camp & sleeping on the ground, either. I'm starting to feel that way, so I might invest in a folding cot for my next trip.

Conversationalist

Message 24 of 33 (3,033 Views)

Dear @ASTRAEA,

Nobody will take care of us, we have to tace care of ourselves. When and if we travel we have to keep everything in mind-if we are on medication is it strick times to have it etc.

In relation to the fringe-nearly every hotels has a little fridge. If you need water-you can always have a bottle with you wherever you go (this is what so many people do not to get hydrated), in relation to the food- even celiacs etc have a places that can enjoy it, and you can always contact the catering place and order something special-to your needs and requirements,usually these places are more that happy to help you.

People do solo traveling,people travel no matter what their age, people travel wiht kids and toddlers etc

As long as you feel ok...and if you want, there is always a way to solve any issues.

Have a good day!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 33 (2,821 Views)

@m992572m - That sounds great, but when you get down to details, it's not so easy. If you're going away for longer than a weekend, what do you do about medication that needs to be refrigerated? What if you need to take medication that needs to be mixed with a lot of water, during times you're on a bus? What do you do if you're on a particular schedule at home that's good for your digestion, but you're with a group that eats at totally different times? How much fun is it to negotiate a strict diet, with tour operators, hotels, and small local restaurants .. especially if the tour operator arranges for everything to be prepared ahead of time, to save time when the group stops?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Conversationalist

Message 26 of 33 (2,787 Views)

That is so true @ASTRAEA.

The world is so beautiful, so many countries, so many places, so much on the table...we are spoilt for choices.

we agree that with the age we have more requirements, but this shouldn't stop us from seeing the beautiful world and experiencing different cultures.

Travelling-is a theraphy Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 33 (2,064 Views)

@m992572m - So many places I haven't even seen once, and so little time! And the older you get, the more restrictions/requirements you have .. a comfortable bed or you can't sleep, healthy food, etc.

Conversationalist

Message 28 of 33 (1,761 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Dublin has changed a lot since them. Who knows, maybe you come back and spend more time here Smiley Happy

Conversationalist

Message 29 of 33 (1,428 Views)

Oh absolutely we can go anywhere. But what i meant was the bets and your favourite. We all have our favourite cities and countries. So tough we could share out favourite destinations Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 33 (1,418 Views)

@m992572m - I was in Dublin many years ago; back in the late 1970s, a few years after college graduation. I was on a tour, but found the food in Ireland wonderful, and the people very friendly. I wish we'd had more time in Dublin (but I think people always say that on tours, about the larger cities)! Smiley Happy