Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: SOLO TRAVEL DESTINATIONS

Message 1 of 33 (183 Views)

I travel solo for a number of reasons. 

In the U.S.:

1) I like being able to go at my own pace, seeing what I am interested in, when and where. 2) I don't get a lot of time off and our slow season is around the holidays when all my friends are tied up with family. 3) Also, while many of my friends talk about going places here, they will rarely actually do it. 

International:

I'm taking my first international trip this year - solo but with Smithsonian Journeys to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana. My friends think it's cool, adventurous, and slightly crazy. Why spend all that money do go into the African bush instead of bebopping around Europe? They have a hard time understanding that I want to live and experience diverse cultures, see amazing wildlife and build a wealth of memories.

I've already booked a trip on the Amazon River in Peru for next year, and the following year will be Nepal and Bhutan. My goal is to set foot on every continent - including Antarctica - in the next 5 years.

Meanwhile they're heading off to London, Scotland, cruising the Danube, or lounging at all-inclusive Caribbean resorts.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 33 (397 Views)

ReTiReD51 wrote:

"....I’d like to hear the reasons people chose to travel solo.  I’ve never traveled solo but I’m sure it has some good points.....".

Wife and I travel quite a bit, mainly hiking in national parks in U.S. and Canada. But, I travel solo to UK every year because DW won't fly for 8 hours, over the pond. I would prefer we both go, but she doesn't mind me going, and I don't want to skip these trips. I do stay in B&B's, so I have some interaction with other people.

So, I 'choose' to go solo because I like traveling to the U.K. As I stated in earlier postings, I'm comfortable traveling there with a common language (until you get further north with those unintelligible accents Smiley Tongue).

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 33 (737 Views)
As I read your posting I thought to myself. "Hey, I could have written that!" I have found that getting a vacation rental in a place that I would really like to explore is a great way to go. One time I rented an apartment in Portland Oregon for a month. That allowed me to get a good grip on public transportation and to explore various parts of the city at length. I enjoyed going to second-hand shops and Portland seems to have many of them along with excellent public transportation.

Another time several months after my husband died, I just needed to get away to someplace I've never been to before and I didn't really care where it would be. Some years before I head gone to Honolulu with Elderhostel, volunteering to work at the zoo for a couple of weeks. Now you can find their trips by going to Road Scholar. They were going to be heading to New Zealand, a place I've never been to where they speak English and that never seems to be part of the dreadful news reports. Joining a Road Scholar educational tour is fine for me and since I'm willing to share a room with another Solo Traveler, I do not have to pay the single supplement, which ordinarily would deter me from making a trip. Road Scholar programs are not overly demanding and are offered according to your own activity preference. I have found there's plenty of free time for my own exploration and perhaps getting somewhat acquainted with local people. I enjoy taking public transportation, because if I see something interesting I can hop off and continue my trip when I'm ready or simply go back to my accommodation.

Of course there are pros and cons to any life experience, but for me solo travel suits me just fine. On the other hand, being with a small group for 10 days is not a problem, because I have found that I enjoy being with people as much as I enjoy being alone. Joining a group like Road Scholar gets you behind the scenes at some locations and provides you with lectures by local experts. Such would not be available to a typical Solo Traveler. I hope that what I've shared enables somebody else to have a unique and thoroughly enjoyable vacation.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 4 of 33 (1,915 Views)

You sound like a loving community person.  A family focused individual who smiles when surrounded by those you love.  If you can enjoy the things of interest to you and be surrounded by the community you love, you are very lucky.  I don't feel that way about most people in my life and our interests vary greatly.  Travel together would create enemies.  I like the freedom of spending hours in museums of interest to me. I climb steps and read historical references at every stop.  I try new foods and keep a neat space.  One of my my worse trips was a slob "on vacation" from cleaning and common sense.  New music and time w/ a book is not wasted (per one relative) but enjoyable experiences for me. Don't demand to know what time I will eat breakfast.  Without familiar family & friends, I'm forced to expand my adventures.  Being on my own forced advance research which also makes me a sharper traveler.  BUT: If you are lucky enough to love your expanded neighborhood of love and support at home and on vacation, then enjoy every moment.  I have never had that. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 33 (1,925 Views)
Love your comments. Sensible suggestions for the uninitiated.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 6 of 33 (1,928 Views)

I started travel w/ an Air Force friend who left our neighborhood and told me I had to experience the world.  As she traveled w/out me and I focused on my child, she had gone all the places of interest to me or picked up other travel mates and even a boyfriend past 65.  That meant stay home or go alone. Like you, friends had no funds, no interest, no vacation.  Off I went and never looked back.   Have wished family could experience, and someday I may help the grands enjoy some off my experiences.  Admire your continuing to keep going.  Never feel obligated to do what I don't want to do or work my schedule around slower people (many friends/family lazy walkers & overweight) or wait for Miss Model to apply make-up & color coordinate for the day.  You sound like you have no regrets. 

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 33 (5,590 Views)

thanks I really like that idea..I seem to get worse as the years go by..I would be ok except for all of the music and ads and commercial stuff..So I think that I will go to a beach for this Christmas ..thanks

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 33 (5,717 Views)
I simply adore your free spirit approach to travelling!!!
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 33 (5,718 Views)
Love your free spirit approach!!
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 33 (5,785 Views)

I've lived in England travelled all 50 states only 13 countries but STILL my favorite is England and the Cotswolds is my favorite EVER!!

Announcements
Rush Aid To Hurricane Irma victims and Your Gift Will Be Matched, Up To a Total of a $750,000. Donate.
Top Kudoed Authors