Help AARP Foundation raise $125K by March 29 to fight hunger. Donate Now

Conversationalist

re: Looking To Make New Friends For Traveling

Message 31 of 54 (3,151 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi Janice,

I know a few people here but it gets kind of lonely here too.  I'm a transplant from Upstate NY...moved here about 8 years ago..  I haven't dated in over 5 years......I gave up on it.  lol  I keep myself pretty busy doing photography and artwork and always looking for good travel deals.  My time is my own and I answer to no one. 

What made you move to Arkansas, or dare I ask?  :0)

Well Michelle,

I married the wrong guy. We met in Florida and thought it would be a romantic concept to try something new. We married I closed my business and moved out here all in a matter of about 2 months. Too many changes, I  now know all at once. Anyway once we got here, he changed drastically, the honeymoon was way over before it even happened. A lot of drama and then he left me with tons of debt and this huge house with a crappy job. I have since gotten a better job and trying to rebuild my life. I don't plan on staying here, want to come home as soon as I'm able. However there is a house to sell,bla bla bla.

So in the meantime I've had little joy, except from my two little dogs, and books, I love to read. I've explored the area a little, but I'm not impressed. It was a major mistake to move here. The East Coast mentality is more my style rather than the Midwest.

I would like to meet some people to hook up with and have some fun and laughs and explore the world. I'm not going to wait to meet a guy in order to live my life and have joy and adventure. That my story.

Jan

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 32 of 54 (3,096 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi Michelle,

I am a transplant from Clearwater, Florida. Have been living in Little Rock for the past two years. It's been pretty lonely as I know no one except for co workers. I plan on returning to Florida when I am able to get all my affairs in order. I have a big house in the country, about 15 minutes from downtown Little Rock. There is a lot for a photogragher to see and shoot. Plenty of nature to see. I work full time but have weekends available to show anyone around the area.

Drop me a line.

Jan

Hi Janice,

I know a few people here but it gets kind of lonely here too.  I'm a transplant from Upstate NY...moved here about 8 years ago..  I haven't dated in over 5 years......I gave up on it.  lol  I keep myself pretty busy doing photography and artwork and always looking for good travel deals.  My time is my own and I answer to no one. 

What made you move to Arkansas, or dare I ask?  :0)

Conversationalist

Message 33 of 54 (3,096 Views)
In Response to post:

I live in California and looking for new friends to travel with.  I'm not retired yet but if I know far enough in advance I can save for the trip and get time off.   I'm a nurse consultant.

I too am looking for a friend to travel with. I work full time but can take time off with planning.

Jan

Conversationalist

Message 34 of 54 (3,096 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi everyone,

My name is Michele...55...single.  I travel alone all the time and sometimes it stinks, sometimes it's great. 

I live in Palm Bay, Florida.  I moved here about 8 years ago.  I have been all over this state from Jacksonville to the Keys, and St. Petersburg to Melbourne.  (Almost all the furthest places from me are 3 hours in any direction.)  I travel to do photography and I create artwork from it.  I am a digital artist and have sold quite a few pieces as well as having been interviewed on TV and published on the front cover of a local magazine with a full bio inside.

Here is my proposition.  Why don't you ladies (and gents) host each other?  What I mean by that is, You have someone come and stay at your place a few nights and then you go stay at their place a few nights.  You save on the horrible overpriced hotels that offer you ONLY a bed and sometimes with NO parking, plus, you are with someone who knows the area.  There are many benefits to this.

I recently hosted a young couple from Austria and I have an invite to visit there anytime.  Not that I ever will, but the offer is there. 

I recently rented an entire house in St. Augustine, 1 block from the Historic district and brought with me my little electric 2 wheeled red scooter.  I hopped around town all day long on that scooter and I got more shots using that scooter than I ever could have if I had been on foot.  People kept stopping me asking where they could rent one.  ha ha  I told them they can't....I own it. 

I also like to go to the Bahamas and St. Maarten and I'd love to fly down instead of cruise down so I can spend more time on land.   But in the next couple of weeks, I am loading up my 2 wheel scooter (it comes apart) and I am heading to Cedar Key on the opposite coast.  I researched it and it is an old fishing town, kind of like the little town in Jaws, but older.  Should make for some great photos and I found a cute little cottage to rent at a reasonable price.  I like ground floor places with a full kitchen so I can wheel my scooter inside and charge it up at night.

So..if any of you ladies would ever like to visit Florida on the East coast, I have a spare bedroom with a private bath and a huge inground, screened in pool.  I'm only 20 minutes to the beaches and 45 minutes south of Orlando airport and all the theme parks.

Here is a little house called "Mrs. Mango's" that I happened to pass on my way home from St. Augustine.  I had to do a U turn because I thought it was just an old house, but it's much more.  When you walk in the door, Mrs. Mango or one of her 2 older daughters will greet you and ask you if you'd like a glass of iced tea and a cookie.  They do this with everyone who stops in and they are so friendly and such nice people.  They have everything from all varieties of honey to soaps, to herbs and spices and antiques.  I will surely go back again.  It's the old style Florida hospitality that is rare to find these days. 

Hi Michelle,

I am a transplant from Clearwater, Florida. Have been living in Little Rock for the past two years. It's been pretty lonely as I know no one except for co workers. I plan on returning to Florida when I am able to get all my affairs in order. I have a big house in the country, about 15 minutes from downtown Little Rock. There is a lot for a photogragher to see and shoot. Plenty of nature to see. I work full time but have weekends available to show anyone around the area.

Drop me a line.

Jan

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 35 of 54 (3,072 Views)
In Response to Looking To Make New Friends For Traveling:

I live in Staten Island, NY, and am anxious to meet new friends for independent travel in 2010.  Love to chill

at resorts, beaches, pools, all-inclusive vacations.  I recently retired from working as a social worker and am hoping to begin a new life with new friends.

Gayle

Hi everyone,

My name is Michele...55...single.  I travel alone all the time and sometimes it stinks, sometimes it's great. 

I live in Palm Bay, Florida.  I moved here about 8 years ago.  I have been all over this state from Jacksonville to the Keys, and St. Petersburg to Melbourne.  (Almost all the furthest places from me are 3 hours in any direction.)  I travel to do photography and I create artwork from it.  I am a digital artist and have sold quite a few pieces as well as having been interviewed on TV and published on the front cover of a local magazine with a full bio inside.

Here is my proposition.  Why don't you ladies (and gents) host each other?  What I mean by that is, You have someone come and stay at your place a few nights and then you go stay at their place a few nights.  You save on the horrible overpriced hotels that offer you ONLY a bed and sometimes with NO parking, plus, you are with someone who knows the area.  There are many benefits to this.

I recently hosted a young couple from Austria and I have an invite to visit there anytime.  Not that I ever will, but the offer is there. 

I recently rented an entire house in St. Augustine, 1 block from the Historic district and brought with me my little electric 2 wheeled red scooter.  I hopped around town all day long on that scooter and I got more shots using that scooter than I ever could have if I had been on foot.  People kept stopping me asking where they could rent one.  ha ha  I told them they can't....I own it. 

I also like to go to the Bahamas and St. Maarten and I'd love to fly down instead of cruise down so I can spend more time on land.   But in the next couple of weeks, I am loading up my 2 wheel scooter (it comes apart) and I am heading to Cedar Key on the opposite coast.  I researched it and it is an old fishing town, kind of like the little town in Jaws, but older.  Should make for some great photos and I found a cute little cottage to rent at a reasonable price.  I like ground floor places with a full kitchen so I can wheel my scooter inside and charge it up at night.

So..if any of you ladies would ever like to visit Florida on the East coast, I have a spare bedroom with a private bath and a huge inground, screened in pool.  I'm only 20 minutes to the beaches and 45 minutes south of Orlando airport and all the theme parks.

Here is a little house called "Mrs. Mango's" that I happened to pass on my way home from St. Augustine.  I had to do a U turn because I thought it was just an old house, but it's much more.  When you walk in the door, Mrs. Mango or one of her 2 older daughters will greet you and ask you if you'd like a glass of iced tea and a cookie.  They do this with everyone who stops in and they are so friendly and such nice people.  They have everything from all varieties of honey to soaps, to herbs and spices and antiques.  I will surely go back again.  It's the old style Florida hospitality that is rare to find these days. 

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 54 (3,072 Views)
In Response to post:

I recently retired as an educator.  I also enjoy meeting new people, beaches and resorts.  I am planning to do some traveling during 2010.  I live on Long Island.

Nelida

Hi Nelida:

I am coming to the east coast next month, would you like to meet for lunch?

Dee

Silver Conversationalist

Message 37 of 54 (3,072 Views)
In Response to Looking To Make New Friends For Traveling:

I live in Staten Island, NY, and am anxious to meet new friends for independent travel in 2010.  Love to chill

at resorts, beaches, pools, all-inclusive vacations.  I recently retired from working as a social worker and am hoping to begin a new life with new friends.

Gayle

I recently retired as an educator.  I also enjoy meeting new people, beaches and resorts.  I am planning to do some traveling during 2010.  I live on Long Island.

Nelida

Silver Conversationalist

Message 38 of 54 (3,072 Views)
In Response to post:

Wave on your way to Pawley's Island....it's about 2 hours from me here in Florence.   Not much on beach travel but the fall trip sounds yummy if I can't get a partner to do Grand Canyon.    I have spring trip planned but didn't get my fall trip this year so would really like to make sure I do at least two a year from now on.   Been doing that  until this year.   Bummer!

Martha's Vineyard - also my dream trip.  This will sound really corny - but it's true - I used to love watching "Murder She Wrote".  I want to ride around the island on a bike like Jessica Fletcher!  

Dena

Silver Conversationalist

Message 39 of 54 (3,072 Views)
In Response to post:

Cmcburnett,

I also have a desire to travel out west in the fall.  I've just put in a new bathroom in my home in MI, so that's the only place I'll be traveling this year.  I've traveled quite a bit in the southwest, but have seen nothing in in the mid and northwest.  I'd love to see some of the parks out there.  I used to travel with my sister and her husband, but they're not doing much traveling now.  I'm still working.  Let's keep in touch.

Lisa

Lisa, seems we have a bit in common. I have always traveled with my sister and her husband but now all she wants to do is cruise. I like cruises but I also like to venture other places. I would love to take a train across Colorado, its been a dream of mine since I was a little girl. Please drop me an email here on AARP or my yahoo email Cmcburnett@yahoo.com  anytime. Also, if you are ever in the GA area we have some great National Parks I'd be glad to show you around.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 40 of 54 (3,072 Views)
In Response to post:

I'm in SC and had planned to fly to Vegas with a grade school friend and rent a car to drive down to the Grand Canyon this fall but her husband's health stopped that.   If you would like to continue to correspond and see if we are compatible for that sort of trip, contact me at mgriffith542@yahoo.com.   I say that as it is so easy to lose posts here when there are so many....and we are talking next year.    I'm thinking fall myself as I'm moving in Jan and going to Houston to see friends either March or shudder summer!   You can see more about me at my profile.   Kitty

Kitty, sounds good to me. I really love to travel and if I could afford it I would stay on the road in a different City everyday. Feel free to email me at Cmcburnett@yahoo.com anytime. Please put "Kittie" in the subject line so I will know who you are and won't delete the message. You can also drop me an email here as I check them everyday. Nice to hear from you and hope to see you around the forums.