Make Your Weekend a Day or Two Longer With Cheap Trip Ideas at AARP Travel’s Take A Day.

Conversationalist

re: Looking To Make New Friends For Traveling

Message 21 of 54 (3,549 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi,

Scotland was higher on my list of places to go until last week when their government let the Lockerbie criminal go home. I guess I'd still go, though.

I just joined this forum tonight and have written to a few ladies already.

I need some new girlfriends to travel with. I retired four years ago and travelled back to back trips each year to the point where, as soon as I got home, I was asked "Where are you going next?" Then everything went flat.

I never thought I'd say I should go back to work but that's how I feel.

So many ladies post messages about wanting travel companions. We should all plan to meet in one place!

Bonnie

I think this is a great idea. Anyone who is looking for a travel buddy. We all meet in some neat town, probably in the states and get to know one another. Future trips could then be planned.

Jan

Conversationalist

Message 22 of 54 (3,554 Views)
In Response to post:

I had a feeling it must be a man.  That's why I'm single!  I'm not taking any more chances. 

As far as I know..isn't Arkansas wayyyyyy out there with hillbilly's way out of the cities?  I'd love to do a photoshoot there, but I would never move there. 

I've settled for traveling alone because I'm not waiting on a man either.  Heck, I'm not waiting on anyone for that fact.  lol  It'd be nice to find someone with similiar interests be it a man or a woman, but I'd feel like they were just tagging along.  I'd like to find someone that really wants to explore places either on foot, or by scooter or by rental car...it doesn't matter to me. 

Cruising is really inexpensive if you share a cabin...but I had the cruise line hook me up with another female that was looking for a room mate and let me tell you ...she was the room mate from HELL!!  Long story but I got her out of my cabin really fast and had the huge cabin all to myself.  Serves her right for complaining and trying to make me move out of the cabin.  I'm a seasoned cruiser...cruised 3 times in 5 months....this was her first.  I'm an easy going person but when someone gangs up on me because their friends are in the next cabin....it's just not going to happen.   She tried to get ME to move to an inside cabin thats no bigger than a closet and I have NEVER had an inside cabin.  She ended up taking it.  ha ha

Anyway, I love to travel and I dont even mind road trips.  Actually, I would LOVE to rent an RV and drive to different states, but I don't want to do it alone.  I also want to rent a house boat for a week in Colorado..but not alone.  Most things I will do alone, I don't mind...but at this stage of my life...I'd love to have a friend along to enjoy it with.  Know what I mean?

The hillbillies are in the northern part of the state, up in the mountains.Little Rock is a rather together small city. They have a great art center, some music comes here, and of course the Bill Clinton Library is here which attracts a lot of people

The men are not my type, they all love to hunt and fish even if they are executives.Camping, hiking are also big here. For me I like to hike a good mall or shops in a new interesting town lol.

I work for a very successful lawyer, and he supports time off from work. So I plan on taking some trips when I can.

I would like to cruise the Mediterrain, especially the Greek islands. I also would like to go to Paris and to Istan Bul. for starters. I've pretty much seen the entire US. There are some favorite cities I will always go back to visit like Charleston,New York,San Francisco, Key West just to name a few.

You will enjoy Cedar Key, I've been there several times. Make sure you go to the hotel in the main part of town, it is really old. They used to serve good food and had peanut butter pie, something very southern and very sweet.

I have only been on one cruise and had been paried up with a mate from hell. She wanted to party with the crew, bringing people to our cabin. I tried to stay out of the cabin as much as possible, she would follow me around and keep asking if I wanted to go below and party with the crew and this is something I didn't  want to do. Anyway had such a bad taste in my mouth from this cruise, I said the only way I would cruise again would be to have my own cabin or go with someone I knew.

I'm putting my house up for sale this next week, so you never know I may be back in Florida before you know it.

Jan

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 23 of 54 (3,554 Views)
In Response to post:

Hello Gayle, I live in Brooklyn and have been looking for a travel companion, or two, as well. I've looked everywhere, put my name on lists and websites - you name it - put I've made no progress.  

I, however, retired four years ago and travelled my brains out the whole entire time. "Chilling" is now only part of what I enjoy. I thought I was beginning "a new life" with friends I already had, but I'm disappointed in two of them. The third one still works and plans to do so for the at least the next 3-4 years. I'm now "singing a tune" I thought I never would: I should go back to work.

Bonnie

Have you tried the singles cruises or hosted group travel? I started out there and met a nice lady to travel with, we are going on our 6th cruise in September!  Don't give up, it's worth the effort, she is now one of my best friends.  Carol in CA

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 24 of 54 (3,554 Views)
In Response to Looking To Make New Friends For Traveling:

I live in Staten Island, NY, and am anxious to meet new friends for independent travel in 2010.  Love to chill

at resorts, beaches, pools, all-inclusive vacations.  I recently retired from working as a social worker and am hoping to begin a new life with new friends.

Gayle

Please keep me in mind for all inclusive vacations.  I went to Puerta Vallarta in June and stayed at an all inclusive and it was wonderful except for the fact I was traveling alone which I am used too but how nice it would have been to have a friend along.  I am retired also (Aquisitions Analyst) in my late 50s, female, straight and enjoy the resorts, beaches and cruises. I was thinking of Cancun in December, one resort has a 50% off regular prices, you can go for under 1K ($700 to $900) for a week including air.  I've done many shares on cruises and 99% were wonderful! Carol in CA

Silver Conversationalist

Message 25 of 54 (3,601 Views)

I live in Staten Island, NY, and am anxious to meet new friends for independent travel in 2010.  Love to chill

at resorts, beaches, pools, all-inclusive vacations.  I recently retired from working as a social worker and am hoping to begin a new life with new friends.

Gayle

Info Seeker

Message 26 of 54 (3,601 Views)

Gayle

Hi, I live in KY and I love to travel.  I was a travel agent before retirement, so I still look for great deals.  Kay

Conversationalist

Message 27 of 54 (3,601 Views)

Gayle

I live in northern NJ.  I am a retired special ed teacher and substitute teach (wonderful way to stay active and involved). I also would like to meet new friends for travel and to meet in NYC for museums, theater, etc.      I went to London last summer, my first time in Europe! I am looking forward to more traveling.  A day in NYC is always entertaining.  I am a member of MoMA and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There are also many TV shows that are free (Martha, The View, Rachel Ray, etc) to attend and it's a great way to spend a day.

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 54 (3,601 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi all:

Next year I plan on a two week tour of Scotland.....all the highlights with ferry ride to the Orkneys and Shetlands.  Would love to find a travel buddy for that one. 

Dorothy

Hi,

Scotland was higher on my list of places to go until last week when their government let the Lockerbie criminal go home. I guess I'd still go, though.

I just joined this forum tonight and have written to a few ladies already.

I need some new girlfriends to travel with. I retired four years ago and travelled back to back trips each year to the point where, as soon as I got home, I was asked "Where are you going next?" Then everything went flat.

I never thought I'd say I should go back to work but that's how I feel.

So many ladies post messages about wanting travel companions. We should all plan to meet in one place!

Bonnie

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 54 (3,601 Views)

Gayle

Hello Gayle, I live in Brooklyn and have been looking for a travel companion, or two, as well. I've looked everywhere, put my name on lists and websites - you name it - put I've made no progress.  

I, however, retired four years ago and travelled my brains out the whole entire time. "Chilling" is now only part of what I enjoy. I thought I was beginning "a new life" with friends I already had, but I'm disappointed in two of them. The third one still works and plans to do so for the at least the next 3-4 years. I'm now "singing a tune" I thought I never would: I should go back to work.

Bonnie

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 30 of 54 (3,601 Views)
In Response to post:

Well Michelle,

I married the wrong guy. We met in Florida and thought it would be a romantic concept to try something new. We married I closed my business and moved out here all in a matter of about 2 months. Too many changes, I  now know all at once. Anyway once we got here, he changed drastically, the honeymoon was way over before it even happened. A lot of drama and then he left me with tons of debt and this huge house with a crappy job. I have since gotten a better job and trying to rebuild my life. I don't plan on staying here, want to come home as soon as I'm able. However there is a house to sell,bla bla bla.

So in the meantime I've had little joy, except from my two little dogs, and books, I love to read. I've explored the area a little, but I'm not impressed. It was a major mistake to move here. The East Coast mentality is more my style rather than the Midwest.

I would like to meet some people to hook up with and have some fun and laughs and explore the world. I'm not going to wait to meet a guy in order to live my life and have joy and adventure. That my story.

Jan

I had a feeling it must be a man.  That's why I'm single!  I'm not taking any more chances. 

As far as I know..isn't Arkansas wayyyyyy out there with hillbilly's way out of the cities?  I'd love to do a photoshoot there, but I would never move there. 

I've settled for traveling alone because I'm not waiting on a man either.  Heck, I'm not waiting on anyone for that fact.  lol  It'd be nice to find someone with similiar interests be it a man or a woman, but I'd feel like they were just tagging along.  I'd like to find someone that really wants to explore places either on foot, or by scooter or by rental car...it doesn't matter to me. 

Cruising is really inexpensive if you share a cabin...but I had the cruise line hook me up with another female that was looking for a room mate and let me tell you ...she was the room mate from HELL!!  Long story but I got her out of my cabin really fast and had the huge cabin all to myself.  Serves her right for complaining and trying to make me move out of the cabin.  I'm a seasoned cruiser...cruised 3 times in 5 months....this was her first.  I'm an easy going person but when someone gangs up on me because their friends are in the next cabin....it's just not going to happen.   She tried to get ME to move to an inside cabin thats no bigger than a closet and I have NEVER had an inside cabin.  She ended up taking it.  ha ha

Anyway, I love to travel and I dont even mind road trips.  Actually, I would LOVE to rent an RV and drive to different states, but I don't want to do it alone.  I also want to rent a house boat for a week in Colorado..but not alone.  Most things I will do alone, I don't mind...but at this stage of my life...I'd love to have a friend along to enjoy it with.  Know what I mean?