How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Conversationalist

re: Looking To Make New Friends For Traveling

Message 11 of 54 (3,522 Views)
In Response to post:

New Orleans (been there, loved it), Sante Fe (never been to NM, want to), spent a day in Charleston (nice). Still vote for Mount Rushmore. No Grand Canyon? South Padre Island? Hot Springs, AR? Banff? the Maritimes? DC (been there many times, but love it)? These all come to mind without even a map in front of me.

Let's keep this idea on the table and hope other ladies read these postings.

Bonnie

Hi,

I'm new to this site but became interested because I thought I might find other single travelers here.  I'm really surprised at the number of people who seem to be in the same situation as I am.  I like your idea about meeting other people somewhere.  I will also be at the AARP convention in LV and would like to meet people there who are interested in traveling.

Carol

Info Seeker

Message 12 of 54 (3,158 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi everyone,

My name is Michele...55...single.  I travel alone all the time and sometimes it stinks, sometimes it's great. 

I live in Palm Bay, Florida.  I moved here about 8 years ago.  I have been all over this state from Jacksonville to the Keys, and St. Petersburg to Melbourne.  (Almost all the furthest places from me are 3 hours in any direction.)  I travel to do photography and I create artwork from it.  I am a digital artist and have sold quite a few pieces as well as having been interviewed on TV and published on the front cover of a local magazine with a full bio inside.

Here is my proposition.  Why don't you ladies (and gents) host each other?  What I mean by that is, You have someone come and stay at your place a few nights and then you go stay at their place a few nights.  You save on the horrible overpriced hotels that offer you ONLY a bed and sometimes with NO parking, plus, you are with someone who knows the area.  There are many benefits to this.

I recently hosted a young couple from Austria and I have an invite to visit there anytime.  Not that I ever will, but the offer is there. 

I recently rented an entire house in St. Augustine, 1 block from the Historic district and brought with me my little electric 2 wheeled red scooter.  I hopped around town all day long on that scooter and I got more shots using that scooter than I ever could have if I had been on foot.  People kept stopping me asking where they could rent one.  ha ha  I told them they can't....I own it. 

I also like to go to the Bahamas and St. Maarten and I'd love to fly down instead of cruise down so I can spend more time on land.   But in the next couple of weeks, I am loading up my 2 wheel scooter (it comes apart) and I am heading to Cedar Key on the opposite coast.  I researched it and it is an old fishing town, kind of like the little town in Jaws, but older.  Should make for some great photos and I found a cute little cottage to rent at a reasonable price.  I like ground floor places with a full kitchen so I can wheel my scooter inside and charge it up at night.

So..if any of you ladies would ever like to visit Florida on the East coast, I have a spare bedroom with a private bath and a huge inground, screened in pool.  I'm only 20 minutes to the beaches and 45 minutes south of Orlando airport and all the theme parks.

Here is a little house called "Mrs. Mango's" that I happened to pass on my way home from St. Augustine.  I had to do a U turn because I thought it was just an old house, but it's much more.  When you walk in the door, Mrs. Mango or one of her 2 older daughters will greet you and ask you if you'd like a glass of iced tea and a cookie.  They do this with everyone who stops in and they are so friendly and such nice people.  They have everything from all varieties of honey to soaps, to herbs and spices and antiques.  I will surely go back again.  It's the old style Florida hospitality that is rare to find these days. 

I
love what Michelle proposed about hosting visitors in each
others homes. Besides the financial aspect, it is always nice
having a new friend in a new city. I have a lovely home in
Jacksonville, Florida, near beaches, golf, downtown and St
Augustine. I would enjoy showing a house guest what the
area has to offer. I would be excited to visit
anywhere in the northeast, NYC and Boston are always favorites.
Is anyone else interested in hosting a visitor?

Silver Conversationalist

Message 13 of 54 (3,157 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi Nelida:

I am coming to the east coast next month, would you like to meet for lunch?

Dee

Hello Jennifer,

I will be in Cleveland. Ohio for one week starting September 17th.  Maybe we can arrange something for next month and meet for lunch. 

Nelida

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 54 (3,157 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi,

I vote for New Orleans or Santa Fe, or even Charleston. All would offer good rates to get us to stay a few days.

Air fare to any of those cities would not be bad either.

Jan

New Orleans (been there, loved it), Sante Fe (never been to NM, want to), spent a day in Charleston (nice). Still vote for Mount Rushmore. No Grand Canyon? South Padre Island? Hot Springs, AR? Banff? the Maritimes? DC (been there many times, but love it)? These all come to mind without even a map in front of me.

Let's keep this idea on the table and hope other ladies read these postings.

Bonnie

Conversationalist

Message 15 of 54 (3,168 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi Janice,

I'm so glad you liked my idea. I liked it too! A fun place could be voted on (I vote for Mount Rushmore first!) and whoever wants to go, shows up. If it's planned for off-season, lodging shouldn't be too big a problem and we should have some vague idea through this website of how many ladies are "in". This might be a bit simplistic but it was just off the top of my head and is certainly open for discussion.

Ladies, any thoughts? I feel better already!

Just think of the possibilities: New Orleans, Taos, Grand Canyon.....

Hi,

I vote for New Orleans or Santa Fe, or even Charleston. All would offer good rates to get us to stay a few days.

Air fare to any of those cities would not be bad either.

Jan

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 54 (3,168 Views)
In Response to post:

I think this is a great idea. Anyone who is looking for a travel buddy. We all meet in some neat town, probably in the states and get to know one another. Future trips could then be planned.

Jan

Hi Janice,

I'm so glad you liked my idea. I liked it too! A fun place could be voted on (I vote for Mount Rushmore first!) and whoever wants to go, shows up. If it's planned for off-season, lodging shouldn't be too big a problem and we should have some vague idea through this website of how many ladies are "in". This might be a bit simplistic but it was just off the top of my head and is certainly open for discussion.

Ladies, any thoughts? I feel better already!

Just think of the possibilities: New Orleans, Taos, Grand Canyon.....

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 54 (3,168 Views)
In Response to Looking To Make New Friends For Traveling:

I live in Staten Island, NY, and am anxious to meet new friends for independent travel in 2010.  Love to chill

at resorts, beaches, pools, all-inclusive vacations.  I recently retired from working as a social worker and am hoping to begin a new life with new friends.

Gayle

Cardmaker58 :  I am a retired teacher and soon to be divorced. I live in Seymour, CT and also love to chill (resorts, beaches, pools, all-inclusive vacations, cruises) with an occasional glas of Pinot Grigio. I too, would love some new friends who wish to travel.

Diane

Conversationalist

Message 18 of 54 (3,168 Views)
In Response to post:

Hi Merrill,   I live in Northern, NJ also!!   I'm not retired yet  (63)  and still working in New York.  I would love to meet someone to travel with.   My idea of a successful vacation is one where I do a lot of sightseeing and learning about different things.  I'm not the kind of person to just stay on a beach or sit by a pool.  I can do that when I visit my niece and her kids.  I love going to shows on Broadway, I belong to the Theatre Development Fund.    I'd love to hear from you if you are interested in planning a trip some time.   I wanted to try something different like the Scandinavian countries or even Austria, Poland, Russia...     ibernard1006

I have heard of the Theater Development Fund & have considered joining to purchase tickets.  Does that work out well?

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 54 (3,168 Views)
In Response to post:

I live in northern NJ.  I am a retired special ed teacher and substitute teach (wonderful way to stay active and involved). I also would like to meet new friends for travel and to meet in NYC for museums, theater, etc.      I went to London last summer, my first time in Europe! I am looking forward to more traveling.  A day in NYC is always entertaining.  I am a member of MoMA and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There are also many TV shows that are free (Martha, The View, Rachel Ray, etc) to attend and it's a great way to spend a day.

Hi Merrill,   I live in Northern, NJ also!!   I'm not retired yet  (63)  and still working in New York.  I would love to meet someone to travel with.   My idea of a successful vacation is one where I do a lot of sightseeing and learning about different things.  I'm not the kind of person to just stay on a beach or sit by a pool.  I can do that when I visit my niece and her kids.  I love going to shows on Broadway, I belong to the Theatre Development Fund.    I'd love to hear from you if you are interested in planning a trip some time.   I wanted to try something different like the Scandinavian countries or even Austria, Poland, Russia...     ibernard1006

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 20 of 54 (3,168 Views)
In Response to post:

Any one living in the Pacific NW that would like to have and be a travel buddy?  Right now just weekend short trips but I plan on retiring next September and would love to have a friend to travel with.

Rose

Hello Rose!  I am in Chico, Ca and I am retired, late 50s.  I like to cruise and go to all inclusive or American style (no meals included) resorts.  I am considering a cruise to Hawaii and a week in Cancun at a resort.  I am also open to new ideas, destinations, etc.  I have done many shares and 99% worked out fine, we have emailed prior to travel and worked out any potential hazards!  About 1/3 were eliminated because of obvious differences but that's the process I have used. My email is JeanieRich@aol.com if you care to email.  Carol in CA