How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Topics: 0
Kudos: 0

Re: Did you know AARP offers discounts to the solo traveler?

Message 1 of 13 (3,021 Views)
No I did not know.
Retired in connecticut
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 13 (3,301 Views)

Finally, vacationan organization who really cares about solo travelers.  I know that there is oftentimes a penalty for going solo on a trip. (Think cruises, etc.) Individual travelers are charged a premium for rooms because most rooms can be booked for 2 or more. I don't understand is why in the case of cruises, the premium amounts to nearly 1 1/2times the rate for a reservation for each party when there are 2 persons sharing a room.  I will definitely use the AARP website to find vacation spots where solo travelers are treated equally or better yet rewarded.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 3 of 13 (3,338 Views)
its so hard to travel solo because all prices are quoted on double occupancy. I own a timeshare and its such a waste to book beautiful condo and be there by yourself.
I have two companion airline tickets and still cant find anyone to share with. I am retired married female but my husband doesn't want to travel as I do. Anyone interesting to share the tickets expenses?
Conversationalist

Message 4 of 13 (4,027 Views)
nice
Conversationalist

Message 5 of 13 (4,150 Views)
Nice!
Conversationalist

Message 6 of 13 (4,326 Views)

Yah, those Single Supplements are a killer...

I like to do "Dive Trips" (SCUBA) to So Seas or now to the Caribbean and get hit with those "Single Supps" all the time...

Geesh, it's almost the same as finding someone on the street and offering to pay their way.. heheh, not quite, but close...

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 13 (4,370 Views)

"...@retiredtraveler: I hope you'll share more with us about your U.K. solo travel adventures!...".

Thanks for the thought, but nothing to 'share'.  I'm always posting to these forums, but when talking travel, I don't relate travel experiences other than factual. I keep it very prosaic. I can't relate the 'experience' of travel --- some people try to, and a few can do so eloquently and poetically. I lack that writing ability (hey, I was a computer programmer --- hard core code).

I am active on TripAdvisor, but again, posting factual, or sometimes, an opinion as to the worthiness of such-and-such an activity.

You're traveled. I don't know if you think you can relate your experience in Istanbul to someone that thinks Branson, MO should be on everyone's bucket list. 

So, I don't try.    (I figure you understand the full meaning of my signature)

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Community Manager

Message 8 of 13 (4,400 Views)

@retiredtraveler: I hope you'll share more with us about your U.K. solo travel adventures!

Community Manager

Message 9 of 13 (4,403 Views)

@ASTRAEA: I agree, solo travel means different things to different people. According to respondents of AARP's recent solo travel survey (aarp.org/solotravelresearch), they describe themselves as traveling alone as part of a tour. (You can find the full report here in PDF format.)

From what I can see, the benefit to some of the AARP offers are that they provide substantial savings on single supplement fees, or in some cases no single supplement. For example, the Norwegian offer provides solo travelers 5% saving plus no single supplement.

"There's a big difference between traveling on your own, and traveling as a single with a group. To what are you referring? My experience is that few organizations give any discounts to people who are by themselves, on a group tour. You wind up paying a very hefty "single supplement", and often wind up getting rooms that are too small for people traveling as a couple or with a friend."

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 13 (4,439 Views)

I didn't realize the link went to a screen with read-thru-them-yourself advertisements.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!