Know Someone Over 50 Making a Difference? Nominate Them for the AARP Purpose Prize

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Casual bicycle tourist looking for ideas on finding travel companions

Message 1 of 9

Best idea yet! Facebook! Perfect. You're such a rockstar. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 9
I setup a private Facebook group, Tom's Cycling Tours, and invited my cycling friends. I tossed some ideas out for simple overnight tours. The response was bigger than I expected, almost 50 people joined. There has been good conversation. I just laid out that I would like to plan some friends cycling weekends. Some good ideas came up, the Niagara Falls tour is one. It's simple to easy to get to for most of my friends. This past summer I invited folks to my new home/farm in the country for a weekend of camping and cycling. 20 people came. Many want a repeat which I will do. I am seeing this takes time but I have a good start. The reality I see is that European travel is not cheap and takes time. As more of my friends retire or move to part-time work, they will most likely join me. Thanks. Tom

Message 3 of 9

@BearonaBicycle  Maybe plan a shortish tour to ease them into it? Or howabout getting them out to a rally? Is there one in your area in the winter (seems a longshot). That might be a way to get them fully excited about being around a bunch of other cyclists for a few days. Smiley Happy  

You'll get there. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 9
Giving a lot of thought to your post. I need to build this community. I haves good start. I just need to broaden to those interested in more serious longer touring. I also need to encourage my current cycling pals to put themselves out there and tour. I already volunteered to lead my club on two 4 day long weekend tours to the Niagara region and Pennsylvania. Hopefully that incents folk to tour more.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 5 of 9

Not sure why my second post did not post? Anyway, those are great suggestions. I guess it's a case of keep on pushing. I am a pretty outgoing person and make friends easily. I have a super group of cycling friends. As I mentioned, unfortunately, they are not able to travel as much as I can. I actually found a super blog post that also offer good tips: http://milestonerides.com/2014/12/16/10-ways-find-bicycle-touring-companions/ .

Right now I am leaning on just joining another European group tour and hoping to find community. I had hoped that from my first one but the group was a set of close friends who were just trying a bike tour and most likely will not do another one. Super nice people.

Thanks for your response. Now I will try to post that "lost" entry. 

Message 6 of 9

@BearonaBicycle  So I saw your second post via email, and am gonna reply even though it isn't posted here. Smiley Happy

DH and I are blessed with a pretty large and diverse (geographically and cycle-style wise) group of cycling compadres. We are still years from retirement (though we took this year off). Here's how we created this group:

Since we ourselves have a cycling specialty, we joined a forum focused on that type of bike. And we posted plenty. And we learned a lot. And we chatted and we set up easy-going group rides with locals and we migrated around to others' group rides and we ended up with a casual crew from there. (You can join any bike forum: they probably have a group ride section. Both of the ones I'm on do.)

We also train 2-3 days a week on local trails, so we got to know cyclists that are preparing for competition. First we waved and said hello, then we started to gear gab trailside. Soon we'd encounter these serious cyclists on the trail and ask to ride with them, they'd do the same. Now we gather socially, email each other stats, challenges or one liners and are fast friends.

Then there are the peeps we've encountered by traveling to Senior Games competitions in other states. A couple of years and 11 competitions later, we're at the point of planning trips and tours and even coordinate which events we are competing at.

So, my advice boiled down: go do what you love, be open to friendship, create opportunities to cultivate that friendship and have a grand old time. Smiley Happy

Best wishes as always,

Epster

Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 9

For many years I have cycled GOBA, Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure, Ohio's state week-long bicycle tour. I have also cycled and organized weekend and weeklong tours with my bicycle club. This year I did the Bike Florida winter ride and Cycle North Carolina coastal ride. These were with friends and cyclists I have known for years.

Retired, now I find myself wanting to do more. I would love to do it with friends but unfortunately almost all do not have the funds or time. I find my retirement and financial situation is a benefit and problem at the same time. My spouse still works with little time off. My friends are in the same boat. I want to explore by bicycle now while my health is good. Who knows what the future will bring.

I am looking for a way to connect with people who want to do some exploring on a bike to interesting places. My European tour was with a nice group of people that welcomed me in. That may not be the case for a single person in a group. 

I am interested in trying an unguided tour internationally but am uncomfortable doing it solo. That is probably the thing I am looking for most, a person who shares my love of cycling and discovery who is willing to share it with someone else.

Message 8 of 9

Hi @BearonaBicycle  Good to see you here. Are you interested in joining rides? There's Ride the Rockies, Ride the Plains, et cetera, ad nauseum. Or are you looking to plan your own tour, but want folks to join you?

Gold Conversationalist

Casual bicycle tourist looking for ideas on finding travel companions

Message 9 of 9

I am nearing the end of my first year of retirement. I m a 63-year-old casual cyclist who love bicycle touring. I spent 2 weeks cycling western Hungary as my retirement gift to myself. I now know I want to do much more in the coming years. My problem is finding cycling companions for my journey. My husband is not retired and most of my cycling friends are also not retired. I am looking for some help on how to find people interested in casual bicycle touring in the UDA and international. I was lucky on my Hungarian tour to join a group that welcomed me as a single (all other were couples). What suggestions do you have?