Join the Summer of Service to SeniorsSM - sign AARP Foundation's banner

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: 2016 Solo Travelling -- undetermined country

[ Edited ]
Message 21 of 26 (3,431 Views)

"...That country in particular requires a passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival...."

An acquaintence of mine ran into that. I never heard of such a thing before. I might spend some time looking at info on passports and see if there are any fine-print warnings about this. 

Update: Found this in 60 seconds on U.S. Dept. of State site:

".... When does your passport expire? Some countries require that a traveler’s passport be valid for at least six months beyond the dates of the trip. Contact the embassy of your foreign destination for more information. Foreign embassy and consulate contact information can also be found in our Country Specific Information pages.....".

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Community Manager

Message 22 of 26 (3,432 Views)

I couldn't agree more with @retiredtraveler. Last year I was faced with getting an expedited passport at the last minute (almost literally). That country in particular requires a passport valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival. I was travelling in March and my Passport was valid until mid-August so it hadn't even occurred to me. Crisis averted and lesson learned!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 26 (3,434 Views)

Be sure your passport is up-to-date and won't expire when you actually get that trip planned!

Super Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 26 (3,457 Views)

Thanks for your quick response Pat.  Europe will probably be my first trip but haven't narrowed my list of places to visit yet.  I read on another link about Trafalgar and think I will check them out.

Helen

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 25 of 26 (3,466 Views)

I've been going to the U.K. for the past several years, solo. It can sometimes be a bit daunting to go someplace, by yourself, and handle all accomodations, transportation, food and such.

The U.K. would be an easy way to get your feet wet.  English everywhere, including signs. The case can be made that English is universal, and you could get around in any western European country, but again, I'm suggesting U.K. as a first trip (assuming you wish to travel further in the future).

As far as where to visit, depends entirely on your interests.

If you start getting into planning, I would look at sites like TripAdvisor where you can post questions about locations you might be interested in. Of course, your PC can open the world to you. I even look at bus and train schedules online in order to plan how to get around an area using public transportation.

Super Social Butterfly

2016 Solo Travelling -- undetermined country

Message 26 of 26 (3,473 Views)
Hi All, I'm looking to do my first solo travel and looking for safe places to visit outside of the US. Naturally, I would prefer a countries that are "American" friendly. If I can swing it from work, I'd like to be gone for two weeks. I would love to have a buddy but most of my friends are in relationships and/or married. Thanks in advance.