The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re:Divorced Spouse's Share of Social Security

Message 71 of 306 (2,417 Views)

I am divorced after a 40-yer marriage and have not remarried. I only receive $600 per month Social Security. My ex-spouse's social security payments are lower than mine because he quit working. Is there any way I can receive a portion of his Social Security to add to mine? 

Info Seeker

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 72 of 306 (2,434 Views)
Will they provide that information for an individual based on their situation?
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 73 of 306 (2,429 Views)

@ag33003889 - If you asked someone at SSA, would they be able to generate a detailed comparison of how much you'd collect by age 80, 90, etc., based on different scenarios for when you began collecting? Telling someone that doing X would only result in "a very small increase" is vague; I'd want to know the numbers!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 74 of 306 (2,492 Views)

In your text you point out that delaying receiving social security benefits will mean an increase of 8% per each year that you delay.  The SSA told me that that is only the case if you continue to work and contribute.  I never see this important detail mentioned in articles on this topic and have to conclude that without mentioning this condition, an article is going to be misleading. 

I was misled because I intended to delay taking the benefit but live on my own resources for a few years.  But the SSA told me that such waiting would result in a very small increase in benefits and that I may as well start taking my social security immediately on reaching 'Full Retirement Age' (66 in my case).

Any comments?

Info Seeker

Message 75 of 306 (2,529 Views)
I read there is not going to be a cost of living raise this year ( hope I am wrong) rent went up. Grogery went up and most likely everything will follow. What I read was they feel that inflation did not go up much in the past year, which I feel is a bunch of crock. Seniors in this country are very lucky to be able to buy food We know how to handle our money., but really. Such a shame I will just go with the flow and hope for the best
Info Seeker

Message 76 of 306 (2,536 Views)

While George W. Bush was in office, he borrowed !.37 Trillion from Socialy Security, to cover a tax break for the rich.  The money has not been paid back.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 77 of 306 (2,386 Views)

vc79014255 wrote:
I am trying to live on $1,218.00 a month. I have nothing left after I pay my bills. I was married for 21 years to my now EX- husband. When can I claim on his SS ?

Here is some reading material that should answer all your questions.

From the AARP:

AARP 09/09/2013 Social Security Mailbox - 
 Divorce and Social Security Benefits

There was a good blog advice / help article in the Huffington Post just the other day about this:

Huffington Post 08/20/2015 Retirement Planner: Benefits For Your Divorced Spouse

and here is the Social Security Administration page on just this subject:

Social Security.gov - Retirement Planner: Benefits For Your Divorced Spouse

Info Seeker

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 78 of 306 (2,370 Views)
I am trying to live on $1,218.00 a month. I have nothing left after I pay my bills. I was married for 21 years to my now EX- husband. When can I claim on his SS ?
Info Seeker

Message 79 of 306 (2,291 Views)
Not having enough money to care for people who have paid into SS
Info Seeker

Message 80 of 306 (2,297 Views)