Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Info Seeker

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 61 of 306 (2,391 Views)

I am wondering what AARP and us citizens can do to stop the taking of our hard earned monies and entitlement to SSDI and SSI. I can do none else but pray to my Father in heaven (the Lord Jesus Christ)...that he will continue to provide for us in some manner. If push comes to shove; I am going to try and get support from a Christian source in the near future.

I really believe that people who are not living on a low income scale have nothing to complain about if they are able to pay their bills and have some money left over to do as they want with. When I hear of those who worry about losing their Social Security benefits who are only worried about paying thousands of dollars for their children to go to college, and can afford to live without their SS benefits when they are not disabled, nor don't lack a means of support; that really gets to me. And if people would just open their hearts and give to those in need; we would not feel like orphans with no one to help us.

Because of all that is going on in politics; I have decided not to vote. I find it hard to believe that any president, any senate, and congress can correct the damage done already in our nation. A few years back I was on a Catholic website where I read there were 60 million homeless people in our nation. That blew me away! It is time for us American citizens to care more about other people. I, myself, have allowed homeless individuals to stay in my home. One of them ended up getting back on her feet and got a job. She had only lived with me for two weeks, already had a job and lined up a place for her to stay. What I won't allow as far as someone that is homeless is someone who just wants me to buy them a twelve pack of beer, chain smoke, and watch T.V. most of the day. Here I was homeless myself, staying in a motel room, and running out of money, and this guy had not even tried to make any plans to help himself. He had a cell phone, and finally called to see if a family member would help him. They would not. I wonder why?

There is too much apathy going around, and people need to know that someone cares about them. But don't expect me to help you if you just want a free ride and want to spend any money you get from me on alcohol and cigarettes. I am a smoker myself, but food is one of the first things on my list. If I can't afford to pay for my food; I have no business smoking.

We need to stop judging people for being homeless and simply help them. If you don't want to take them into your home; give them some information about where they can go to get help, and even offer to give them a ride. These people do alot of walking and would really appreciate it. The shelters are overcrowded and you would think that someone would use one of these hotels to give these poor people a place to stay and some privacy. One person can make a difference if they own property, etc.    Well, I've said enough. May the Lord help us all, and may we do what he wants and not what we want.

Info Seeker

Message 62 of 306 (2,425 Views)
In the state of Hawaii there is a big problem in the making that is putting the lively hood of tens of people receiving social security. The 3 thousand or more that the IRS taxes social security benefits each year. With rental cost getting higher each year and insurance costs going up in 2016 seniors are having a hard time finding the money to pay the daily cost of living. The cost of getting old is not cheap. Seniors are taxed 25% or more on their benefit. The said part is while they were working they were paying tax on what went to social security by way of the pay role tax. No the government taxes the same money again when they need it the most. I don't understand why this issue is not the most important issue AARP could take up. Yet AARP has not lifted a finger on something that effects millions of American's. It's a shame and AARP should take a stand and after congress to get social security benefits tax fixed in so way. Seniors need help on this issue.
Silver Conversationalist

Message 63 of 306 (2,439 Views)
AFTER THE BILLS ARE PAID I HAVE $25.00 PER WEEK TO LIVE ON.THINKING ABOUT MOVING OUT OF THE COUNTRY
Info Seeker

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 64 of 306 (2,401 Views)

Well, I'm getting a $10.00 increase in 2016, a definate "inequity of passing out increases". Certainly not anywhere near an appropriatle annual increase.

Info Seeker

Message 65 of 306 (2,469 Views)

I applied for disability in 2006.  I was told at the time that I could apply for disabled widows benefits.They also told me that, since I was under the retirement age, I would get a partial payment from my husband's SS and when I reach 66 it would go up to the regular amount.  I've since had cause to question this.  What would be the truth?

Thanks

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 66 of 306 (2,394 Views)

RH, you are correct in the fact that Congress can do absolutely nothing and receive a raise. They designed it that way. Unless they vote AGAINST their own raise, they automatically receive one.

You probably already know they won't be raising the medicare part B premium. There's a clause called, "Do No Harm" or something like that and it prevents them from raising the B premiums for MOST recipients if there is no cost of living raise.

As far as the COL raise, it's beyond me how they don't figure there is inflation. The formula they use to decide if there'll be a raise hasn't changed and neither are the things they use for their tally. Me thinks their formula needs tweaking!

You should be commended for your ability and drive to continue working! Social security was never designed to be our total means of support, but the stock market wreaked havoc on even people like you who had intentions of saving and being responsible.  You sound like an awesome lady for having raised your grandchild and helping your adult daughter. Just remember to not let anyone use you. Take care of yourself, too. We often forget to do that!

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
Frequent Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 67 of 306 (2,201 Views)

DD, you're listening to incorrect information. The only person who can collect s/s benefits without paying in is a spouse who was married ten years or longer. They are allowed to collect 50% of their spouse's benefits, while that spouse collects 100%. No one who has not worked at least ten years and has at least 40 credits is drawing social security. It's a myth perpetutated by the far fringes of one party and it's only meant to bring in votes and enrage people.

The age limit is not climbing at this point. The revamping was done by President Reagan in 1983 and the age hasn't increased since that time. He set the birth years and the time we'd be eligible for full retirement benefits. That should be enough info if you'd like to do research on his entire restructuring of s/s. He also added in that at certain income levels, 50% would be taxed and at a higher income level, 85% would be taxed. None of this has changed since 1983.

DD, you're correct on the candidates who want to eliminate both programs. There are others and they all belong to the same party. Let's all choose carefully when we vote so we aren't voting against our own best interests. Keep in mind which party started Social Security and Medicare and which party is trying to abolish it. Stop listening to what you hear at the coffee shop or on certain news channels. Do your own research and listen to the speeches of the candidates, go to their websites to see what their plans for our generation are.

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
Info Seeker

Message 68 of 306 (2,259 Views)

GetRealQuick wrote:
GOP Front runner Cain's 999 plan calls for abolishing Social Security and Medicare (New York Times, 11/13/11). Perry has called SS a ponzi scheme and unlawful. The GOP is against SS and Medicare by principle and would love to abolish/privatize them, as soon as they get in power, whether it be 2012, 2016, 2020, etc. And I don't believe their promises of not affecting those currently 50 or greater. They have a proven record of flip flopping and it is often a part of their plan. SO this issue is not going away; it is dangerous for us, and is dangerous for future generations.

Should they get elected and abolish/privatize Social Security and Medicare, it will be a stupendous, catastrophic, disaster for the 10s of millions of poor and disabled elderly. Their only choice will be to wheel themselves out to th the trashcan and wait to die. This is the GOP plan for America in the 21st century, whether we like it or not. The day they get the power will be the day they begin their dismantling project.

What is out only rational response? Is it to wheel ourselves out to the trashcan to die in misery? Of course not! We must therefore demand the Right To Die via a $99.00 Death Drug (we don't want any ahandouts). This is our only rational response because this "Dead Deal", the opposite of the New Deal, of the GOP is coming and nobody can stop it. Therefore we must do the only rational thing and demand the Right to Die. This is the unavoidable future of America.

GetRealQuick wrote:
GOP Front runner Cain's 999 plan calls for abolishing Social Security and Medicare (New York Times, 11/13/11). Perry has called SS a ponzi scheme and unlawful. The GOP is against SS and Medicare by principle and would love to abolish/privatize them, as soon as they get in power, whether it be 2012, 2016, 2020, etc. And I don't believe their promises of not affecting those currently 50 or greater. They have a proven record of flip flopping and it is often a part of their plan. SO this issue is not going away; it is dangerous for us, and is dangerous for future generations.

Should they get elected and abolish/privatize Social Security and Medicare, it will be a stupendous, catastrophic, disaster for the 10s of millions of poor and disabled elderly. Their only choice will be to wheel themselves out to th the trashcan and wait to die. This is the GOP plan for America in the 21st century, whether we like it or not. The day they get the power will be the day they begin their dismantling project.

What is out only rational response? Is it to wheel ourselves out to the trashcan to die in misery? Of course not! We must therefore demand the Right To Die via a $99.00 Death Drug (we don't want any ahandouts). This is our only rational response because this "Dead Deal", the opposite of the New Deal, of the GOP is coming and nobody can stop it. Therefore we must do the only rational thing and demand the Right to Die. This is the unavoidable future of America.

I feel people coming to this country from where ever, should NOT be allowed to collect social security benifits. Most imigrants have never put anything into the system, but are allowed to collect off of the hard working people as myself, who is now being told i have to work years longer to collect. I have worked for over 40 years now , and the age limit continues to climb upward , so we can continue to pay for unwanted outsiders to come and be allowed by the law to collect.

Info Seeker

Message 69 of 306 (2,183 Views)

I feel people coming to this country from where ever, should NOT be allowed to collect social security benifits. Most imigrants have never put anything into the system, but are allowed to collect off of the hard working people as myself, who is now being told i have to work years longer to collect. I have worked for over 40 years now , and the age limit continues to climb upward , so we can continue to pay for unwanted outsiders to come and be allowed by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to benifit. Awlful 

Info Seeker

Message 70 of 306 (2,222 Views)
The scare tactics of big corp America and the congressman in their pockets are a way of trying to cut our SS. How about cutting our the subsidies and freebies that they receive? Social Security has some spare funds, remember the huge amounts of money that was BURROWED from SS, it has not been repaid yet! We are old not ignorant speak up.