The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 51 of 306 (2,953 Views)

mh53321653 wrote:

What concerns me the most is the recent 57% !!! Rate increase in the monthly premium! I am astounded that this is even legal? I understand that increases are a fact of live, however, this level ofn crease is outrageous for seniors to absorb, especially since there was no increase for the cost of living index!  Is AARP tackling this issue?

This increase in Part B premiums was only for newly eligibles to Medicare.  IOW, those that are not covered by the hold harmless clause in Social Security. 

The increase to the newly eligibles was toned down some by the Budget deal in 12/2015; course we will all have to make it up whenever we do get another COLA.

You do understand how these Medicare Part B premiums are set, don't you?  They are set by what the actual cost to the program turns out to be.  The government covers about 75% of Part B cost and this comes out of General Revenues.  Part B premiums makes up the other 25%.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 52 of 306 (2,930 Views)

Baren wrote:

My wife had ssi due to her disabilities but they kicked her out at 62 because I was retired and was recieving too much money from disability ss.

Living in Texas we are denied medicade due to our republican governor won't expand it . She found help with a county hospital district . It isn't insurance but a pay program that goes by income .We qualified but since I am 65 I chose to use outside doctors with my medicare program.

My wife worked all of her life and paid taxes and this is how our government treats her when she needs help . Something has to give in the future or older Americans will do without proper care and die early .

If your wife worked all of her life and paid taxes, I am assuming that this was for earned income, then she should be able to qualify for her own Medicare benefit at 65 and her own Social Security Benefit (early retirement age is still 62; Full Retirement Age is now 66 + some months).

Info Seeker

Message 53 of 306 (2,915 Views)

I am referring to the Medicare premiums increase of 57%. ! In my earlier post.

Info Seeker

Message 54 of 306 (2,763 Views)

What concerns me the most is the recent 57% !!! Rate increase in the monthly premium! I am astounded that this is even legal? I understand that increases are a fact of live, however, this level ofn crease is outrageous for seniors to absorb, especially since there was no increase for the cost of living index!  Is AARP tackling this issue?

Info Seeker

Message 55 of 306 (2,737 Views)

My wife had ssi due to her disabilities but they kicked her out at 62 because I was retired and was recieving too much money from disability ss.

Living in Texas we are denied medicade due to our republican governor won't expand it . She found help with a county hospital district . It isn't insurance but a pay program that goes by income .We qualified but since I am 65 I chose to use outside doctors with my medicare program.

My wife worked all of her life and paid taxes and this is how our government treats her when she needs help . Something has to give in the future or older Americans will do without proper care and die early .

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 56 of 306 (2,686 Views)

"...SSI is totally un-funded...".

SSI is supplemental security income, dispensed under SS. You only get this if disabled and a number of other requirements. You can't take it at 62 unless you fulfill other requirements.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Conversationalist

Message 57 of 306 (2,590 Views)

SSI is totally un-funded, Collect what you can at the earliest age you can. It will run out. Maybe more sooner than later. I worked for 40 years, I would like to think that they saved enough to pay me back, they did not. Collect what ever you can for as long as you can. Sorry to break the news you already know. This is the real world, and there is no lock box on what you paid in. It was already spent before you paid in. Get out as much as possible as soon as you can. You get more at 70? what a load of crap. if it came down to it, they would hunt you down and kill you. (Chester the horse) do you get it? Something is very wrong, going on right now. Get what's left of the money ASAP. Collect at 62, keep paying in while still working. Don't plan on a check every month. 3 years tops It will be over. Just collect as early as you can, the system is bankrupt. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

[ Edited ]
Message 58 of 306 (2,625 Views)

Reply to rr49933996: Are you able to post a link to where you obtained your information about, Seniors are taxed 25% or more on their benefit.

I believe this is the amount I chose to have held out of my Social Security each month, however, so far I have gotten back most of this at the end of the year when I file my income taxes, on my total income.

My sister because of her total income has nothing withheld but, pays no income taxes, doesn't even have to file a return.

I live in Texas, she lives in Alabama.

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

GodBlessUSA

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 59 of 306 (2,673 Views)

"In the state of Hawaii there is a big problem in the making that is putting the lively hood of tens of people receiving social security................ Seniors are taxed 25% or more on their benefit......."

Thank you from bottem of my haert for possting this warning!

This is truely shockeing infermotion.   Was thinking of mooving myself to Aloha state for retirement.   Glad I sawed this post,  whew

there is truely nothing more serious  than loosing one's lively hood.   Just pondering such event gives me the Willys,  doesn't you? 

Think it might be feelsable  -  just an idea -  rent a large fleet of busses to transport these tens of people to Wash DC so they could lobby Congress? 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 60 of 306 (2,660 Views)

."... A few years back I was on a Catholic website where I read there were 60 million homeless people in our nation. That blew me away!....".

Of course it blew you away. The number is around 600,000.  60 mil would be close to 20% of the entire country.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.