Watch AARP’s New Celebrity Video Series with Don Rickles, ‘Dinner with Don,’ on Our YouTube Channel

Info Seeker

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 41 of 306 (2,915 Views)

NO COLA FOR THE THIRD TIME DURING THE PRESIDENCY OF THE ONE WHO IS SITTING IN THE OVAL OFFICE NOW - WITH HIS FEET UP ON OUR DESK !!   Vote very carefully in November, Seniors !

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 42 of 306 (2,944 Views)

ds11972849 wrote:

"...I heard some money saving loopholes will be closed at the end of this April in social securiy that could get seniors more money and benefits.I wonder if this is true and if I'm eligible....".

Here's a link:   Your Money: The End of Social Security Loopholes: What ...

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Conversationalist

Message 43 of 306 (2,932 Views)

I heard some money saving loopholes will be closed at the end of this April in social securiy that could get seniors more money and benefits.I wonder if this is true and if I'm eligible.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 44 of 306 (2,928 Views)

Are you under age 60? 

If you are age 60 or older,  you can re-marry,  and not lose your survivor's benefits from your deceased spouse.

Info Seeker

Message 45 of 306 (2,968 Views)
If I get married would I loose my survival benefits
Info Seeker

Message 46 of 306 (2,935 Views)

It really irritates me when I hear these idiots in Congress say " raise social security taxes." That is the WRONG ANSWER. The CORRECT answer is "REMOVE THE CAP ON THE WAGES!!!"

For instance, Michael Bloomberg made approximately $4 billion in each of these years: 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. But guess what, he only paid approximately $8400.00 in social security taxes each of these four years, due to the wage cap of approximately $123,000.00. This info on Bloomberg came from Forbes magazine in 2013. Now, if the wage cap was removed, he would have paid $286 million(7% of his income) per year into the Social Security Fund, leaving him $372 billion each of these four years. The Social Security percentage that Bloomberg paid on his yearly income was approximately 0.00021%.

If the wage cap was removed, I don't think Social Security would ever go broke!!! Remember, President Linden Baines Johnson took all of the Social Security money out of its separate fund in 1964 and put it into the General Fund. That is another reason why Social Security is in dire straits.

I urge all voters to write and/or call your Senators and Representatives to remove the Social Security cap on wages, NOT raise Social Security taxes. Also remember that Congress does not pay into Social Security. Also remember that when Senators and Representatives retire, they still get their salary of approximately $173,000.00 per year!!

Maybe some economist could calculate how much money would go into the Social Security fund if the wage cap was removed on a yearly basis, based on all current wages. ALL Social Security money should be put back into its own separate fund, so it is not accessible to Congress!!!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 47 of 306 (2,781 Views)

Reply to: wl8409

A person should know if the amount of social security withheld from their pay had tax payed on it or not.

Around my third year with the Fire Department I know there was a change in the laws and our SS, Retirement and Insurance was deducted before taxes were figured on the rest of our income.

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

Info Seeker

Message 48 of 306 (2,770 Views)

What is the status of the repeal of the WEP and the GPO?  Both are unfair to public servants who have a pension and thus can not collect the full amount of SS they deserve...Is AARP working to address this issue.  If not, they should.  

Info Seeker

Message 49 of 306 (2,713 Views)
I am very concerned about what they based the no COLA raise on. From everything I have read & heard it's based on inflation (of gas). Well, gas may be down, everything else is up. Prices go up in the grocery stores from week to week! I'm barely hanging on.
Info Seeker

Message 50 of 306 (2,727 Views)
Why is SS benefits taxed if your other pension income exceeds $50,000? The contributions to SS while u worked was taxed already, right? I'm sure matching contributions by your employer were taxed also. But if not, I should not pay more than 50% on my benefits. Sounds like double taxation to me.