Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Share your concerns about Social Security

Share your concerns about Social Security

1)     In the article,  Social Security Fears, many Social Security myths are addressed. What concerns you the most about Social Security? 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Svrlrr2008 wrote:

I have a question I have been married for6 years now my husband told me we will have to get divorced in the future to be able to claim befits. Him his and me mine is this true ? Really concerned about this. 

NO, it is not true.  Maybe he was just messin' with you ! ?   Married partners sometimes do that - Best to understand it yourself because it is YOUR benefit that each of you have supported (contributed to) through your working years.

But if a divorce rears its ugly head in the future, make sure you stay married at least 10 years, in case the spousal benefit is bigger than your own benefit.

At the 10 year marriage mark, Uncle Sam thinks each party is then vested.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos

7/13/16....I'm absolutely appalled and angry @ our"supposed Legislators," and their cohorts, for allowing the American people (promised Soc.Sec. benefits by law) to be conned into thinking that there has been little or no COLA (related to the yearly CPI) increases on a regular basis. We have already passed years when we were given 0% increases, and many years of between 1% and 3% increases. This is an outrage. Everyone knows how costs increase yearly: Is there anyone out here with frozen rents and home insurance/ bills; frozen transportation costs; supermarket price freezes; and the list can go on and on and on!  So, for our government to claim that yearly Consumer Price Indexes (CPIs) are little or nothing, is a lesson in us being fooled into believing that we should be satisfied with the peanuts we do receive. It's all one big lie. I hope that AARP, as one of our few lobby groups, can effect some change in the future for seniors and retirees, such that we receive our promised benefits and possibly, some retroactive payments for years in which we were suckered out of money. I for one want to find other organizations with AARP who would fight for our rights, as we cannot gain any justice without large numbers of people who will be involved as a "strength in numbers" example.

Please spread the word to others, who may be able and willing to mobilize us, in this most important and pressing issue (among many!).

LBJ used the SS monies for other purposes and it will never be paid back. The same as the highway

transportation monies and now our representives cry that the bridges and highways need repair.

Our congress and senate start with the right intentions, then join the old boys club and take of themselves and not the people that elected them. Whoops I thought the Clinton's were broke.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

recently I was forced to return to the work-force at 66 after 4 years of retirement and with Republicans in controle I will probly have to work till I die on the job It is a shame that the wealthyest country in the world forces it's seniour citizens to live in poverty there will be no Social security for our grand children 

Honored Social Butterfly

@DanWass2016

The Board of Labor Statistics figures the CPI each year; in fact, they do several different varieties.  The COLA for SS benefits are based on the CPI-U and includes most everything that a consumer has to have - including rent, or rent equivalence, food, transportation cost, medical cost, etc.  

in 2016, they began to give spending on medications a slightly larger weight.

All of these measures come from data they have collected on specific time frames during the year by surveys, and questionnaires from a targeted group.

if one of the items being analyzed goes up and anther goes down, they don't completely wipe each other but they do affect the bottom line.

We do have LOW inflation and have had for the 8 years.   The biggest culprit in 2016 was energy since the price of gas began to fall rather abruptly and energy prices have a high weight in the CPI computation.

IF in 2016, we had gotten a COLA, it would have been VERY meager and we would have also had an increase in our Part B Medicare premiums because of the "hold harmless" part of the law.  Those who were new to Medicare in 2016, have to pay more for their Part B premiums because these folks are not covered by the "hold harmless clause" - it only covers those who are already in the program from year to year.  For the rest of us ( those who were already on Medicare ), we are just floating our amount due.

It is not looking too good for a 2017 COLA either - the formula is set by law so it is not just an individual, a legislative branch or even our CEO ( President ) making the call.  

But if we do get a COLA for 2017 - most of it will be used to pay higher Part B premiums because Part B expenses have risen over the past 2 years.

So unless the COLA law is actually changed by Congress and signed by the President, we will continue along this path.  BTW, there are more benefits than just SS tied to this CPI - SSI, Veteran and Veteran Survivors, federal employees.

It is like the old adage - "you have to spend money, to make money" so we need people spending to heat up this economy but on the other hand, Uncle Sam wants to keep interest rates low because of the amount we have to pay on interest on our debt.  

An economic vicious cycle . . . . 

I need some assistance my fellow AARP's! I have been on SS since 62. I just turned 65 and I understand I can apply for a return of some of my reduced benefits since I applied at 62. What is the procedure for claiming a return of the reduced benefits? Thanks for your assistance!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@tb6982285 Have you every visited the Social Security website? If not, then visit it now and under my Social Security create an account. If you can't find the information you want on their site then I suggest you call or visit your local Social Security office.

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

0 Kudos

I am an educator in Texas. When I moved here I was unaware of this windfall provision I'm very concerned that I will not be able to collect full Social Security benefits at age 66 presently I am 60 what can be done to change this provision?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@dp82921240 wrote:

I am an educator in Texas. When I moved here I was unaware of this windfall provision I'm very concerned that I will not be able to collect full Social Security benefits at age 66 presently I am 60 what can be done to change this provision?

Here is the SSA pamphlet (2016) on the Windfall Elimination Provision

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

There is logic in this computation of this reduction of the SS Old Age benefit; the way it is now computed or the way it was computed prior to 1986.

Simply put, you worked for a (government) employer that did NOT participate in the Social Security program during your working years with them.  That, in and of itself, reduces any SS benefit which you may have earned while working for an employer who DID participate in the Social Security system.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@tb6982285 wrote:

I need some assistance my fellow AARP's! I have been on SS since 62. I just turned 65 and I understand I can apply for a return of some of my reduced benefits since I applied at 62. What is the procedure for claiming a return of the reduced benefits? Thanks for your assistance!

If you applied for YOUR OWN benefits at 62 and have been receiving YOUR OWN (early reduced) benefits since then - there is no way to get a redo because that reduction will always be with you.

There use to be a way that you could pay back ALL the money and get a redo but that ended in (I think) 2012 and now you only have 12 month to perform this pay back and claim again.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Tell the house, et.al. to stop forcing seniors into poverty.
Some of us, myself included, must work for insurance...to pay rent, to eat...yet, my Social Security sets limits that makes me pay back monies I already earned!
My minimum wage job provides insurance til next year and I am ALLOWED Medicare - which will be deducted from my Social Security on top of the $128 they are deducting for THREE YEARS due to my making over $15,000 in 2014 - I may not afford my rent and may become homeless unless
I continue working for Walmart past 65 whether physically able or not....why doesn't someone care about us?
The HOME OFFICE
Positively Organized
0 Kudos

Once again the Republicon are  tryin to destory AFFORDABLE CARE ACT.  The bigest problem is that the   the Republicons really don't care if we live or die.  My sister has a racist white person working for her part-time. Now this lady likes  to talk about what Obamas not doing for her so she and her husbankd were  to proud to except any goverment help. Things got so bad for her and  husband  so she sign up for the Affordable Care and Food Stamps now they can eat and afford to go to the hospital It will be sad when so many Cancer patient loss their coverage. People haven't seen bad times YET!!  Let that racist Donald Trump get in the white house and this country will be FUK-up.

Contributor

I heard disablity will be cut by 19% in October 2016. Is this true? How does a person survive on even less?
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@dc51234209 wrote:
I heard disablity will be cut by 19% in October 2016. Is this true? How does a person survive on even less?

The (2) year budget deal approved by bipartisan action in the senate at the end of 2015 fixed the problems for now but did nothing to fix both programs - OASI and SSDI - for the long term.

The Hill 10/26/2015 Budget Deal Includes Social Secrity, Medicare Reforms

The amount a beneficiary receives either from OASI or SSDI is based on their own work record,

figured In a more progressive fashion with lower income people getting more bang for their working years earned income as used in the benefits formula.

Can anyone break down and explain the changes for 2016 that Congress passed and will be effective May 1st? It's very confusing. Does anyone understand this help? How does it affect a person at age 65? How does it affect a person at 866? How does it affect people on SSDI? Will our benefits drop?
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Relax.   Despite what you may have heard the Sky Is Not Falling.

Read this and you will no doubt sleep better tonite. 

http://www.snopes.com/social-security-changes-may-2016/

(Hope you were not one of the ones mentioned who shelled out good money for fake and alarmist "newsletters" to protect yourself from the Coming "Financial Ruin"  ) 

Contributor

NO COLA FOR THE THIRD TIME DURING THE PRESIDENCY OF THE ONE WHO IS SITTING IN THE OVAL OFFICE NOW - WITH HIS FEET UP ON OUR DESK !!   Vote very carefully in November, Seniors !

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

donpatters wrote:

NO COLA FOR THE THIRD TIME DURING THE PRESIDENCY OF THE ONE WHO IS SITTING IN THE OVAL OFFICE NOW - WITH HIS FEET UP ON OUR DESK !!   Vote very carefully in November, Seniors !

The president has nothing to do with the COLA. Please be very carefully informed, seniors.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It is the congress who is at fault, they can't get any business done as they are too busy blocking everything. I do not blame it on the President, he only signs the bills, not makes them.
0 Kudos
Info Seeker

If I get married would I loose my survival benefits
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Are you under age 60? 

If you are age 60 or older,  you can re-marry,  and not lose your survivor's benefits from your deceased spouse.

0 Kudos

That is insane. You shouldn't be allowed to collect on an ex's SS at all. That is bleeding money out of SS at a fast pace. If you remarry - no matter what age is even worse. If you have been divorced for 20 years you should not be entitled to an ex's SS.

I agree 100% .  Why should an ex be able to collect based on the ex spouse SS?  My ex took off for Mexico after the divorce and I collected not one penny of child support for my 2 girls.  Now that I am retired he is back in the country and collecting SS based on all MY years of working!!  Is this right???!!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@r431746r wrote:

I agree 100% .  Why should an ex be able to collect based on the ex spouse SS?  My ex took off for Mexico after the divorce and I collected not one penny of child support for my 2 girls.  Now that I am retired he is back in the country and collecting SS based on all MY years of working!!  Is this right???!!!

According to the SSA, an EX-spouse had to have at least 10-years in the marriage with you in order to be able to qualify for this type of benefit so I guess they feel like you owe them.

Personally, I think the marriage should have last a lot longer - like a minimum of 20 or more years.

There was always court action to get the child support as soon as you knew they were back in the states.  Seems you should be able to get reimbursed for all that child support, at least up to the amount the ex is getting based on your SS record.   🤑

0 Kudos
Contributor

What is the status of the repeal of the WEP and the GPO?  Both are unfair to public servants who have a pension and thus can not collect the full amount of SS they deserve...Is AARP working to address this issue.  If not, they should.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Why is SS benefits taxed if your other pension income exceeds $50,000? The contributions to SS while u worked was taxed already, right? I'm sure matching contributions by your employer were taxed also. But if not, I should not pay more than 50% on my benefits. Sounds like double taxation to me.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Reply to: wl8409

A person should know if the amount of social security withheld from their pay had tax payed on it or not.

Around my third year with the Fire Department I know there was a change in the laws and our SS, Retirement and Insurance was deducted before taxes were figured on the rest of our income.

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am wondering what AARP and us citizens can do to stop the taking of our hard earned monies and entitlement to SSDI and SSI. I can do none else but pray to my Father in heaven (the Lord Jesus Christ)...that he will continue to provide for us in some manner. If push comes to shove; I am going to try and get support from a Christian source in the near future.

I really believe that people who are not living on a low income scale have nothing to complain about if they are able to pay their bills and have some money left over to do as they want with. When I hear of those who worry about losing their Social Security benefits who are only worried about paying thousands of dollars for their children to go to college, and can afford to live without their SS benefits when they are not disabled, nor don't lack a means of support; that really gets to me. And if people would just open their hearts and give to those in need; we would not feel like orphans with no one to help us.

Because of all that is going on in politics; I have decided not to vote. I find it hard to believe that any president, any senate, and congress can correct the damage done already in our nation. A few years back I was on a Catholic website where I read there were 60 million homeless people in our nation. That blew me away! It is time for us American citizens to care more about other people. I, myself, have allowed homeless individuals to stay in my home. One of them ended up getting back on her feet and got a job. She had only lived with me for two weeks, already had a job and lined up a place for her to stay. What I won't allow as far as someone that is homeless is someone who just wants me to buy them a twelve pack of beer, chain smoke, and watch T.V. most of the day. Here I was homeless myself, staying in a motel room, and running out of money, and this guy had not even tried to make any plans to help himself. He had a cell phone, and finally called to see if a family member would help him. They would not. I wonder why?

There is too much apathy going around, and people need to know that someone cares about them. But don't expect me to help you if you just want a free ride and want to spend any money you get from me on alcohol and cigarettes. I am a smoker myself, but food is one of the first things on my list. If I can't afford to pay for my food; I have no business smoking.

We need to stop judging people for being homeless and simply help them. If you don't want to take them into your home; give them some information about where they can go to get help, and even offer to give them a ride. These people do alot of walking and would really appreciate it. The shelters are overcrowded and you would think that someone would use one of these hotels to give these poor people a place to stay and some privacy. One person can make a difference if they own property, etc.    Well, I've said enough. May the Lord help us all, and may we do what he wants and not what we want.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

."... A few years back I was on a Catholic website where I read there were 60 million homeless people in our nation. That blew me away!....".

Of course it blew you away. The number is around 600,000.  60 mil would be close to 20% of the entire country.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."

In the state of Hawaii there is a big problem in the making that is putting the lively hood of tens of people receiving social security. The 3 thousand or more that the IRS taxes social security benefits each year. With rental cost getting higher each year and insurance costs going up in 2016 seniors are having a hard time finding the money to pay the daily cost of living. The cost of getting old is not cheap. Seniors are taxed 25% or more on their benefit. The said part is while they were working they were paying tax on what went to social security by way of the pay role tax. No the government taxes the same money again when they need it the most. I don't understand why this issue is not the most important issue AARP could take up. Yet AARP has not lifted a finger on something that effects millions of American's. It's a shame and AARP should take a stand and after congress to get social security benefits tax fixed in so way. Seniors need help on this issue.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP