The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Info Seeker

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 91 of 306 (2,402 Views)

My biggest concern is the fact that they may reduce the amount of my monthly check. i have already read a few articles on the fact that this may come true. The articles go on to say that this is an issue that capital hill is already discussing. We cannot let this happen!! There are many more retired citizens that are deawing less than what I am and i know that this would devastate most of them. So, I ask; what can we do about it?

Info Seeker

Message 92 of 306 (2,423 Views)

peachykeen8 wrote:

Because our CONGRESS has created incentives that shipped most USA jobs away from USA there are many less workers paying into the Social Security fund so there is alot less money going in!!.

This fact is one of the main reasons SS may have problems in the future..  THE SOLUTION!!  CONGRESS must get off their ___________ and create incentives to bring manufacturing and other jobs back to the USA!!!!!

Government revenues are at an all time high. It's not money coming in that's the problem, it's all the money going out.

Incentives to bring jobs back? That costs money which means higer taxes. Pay American wages? That means higher prices.

The only way the government can get out of the mess they've made is to inflate prices to where they SS checks are worth next to nothing. They've made a pretty good start on it the last few years. The FED publicly says that they want inflation and no one seems to worry about it or even ask why.

Info Seeker

Message 93 of 306 (2,416 Views)

Social Security isn't our money and never has been. They could end the whole thing tomorrow and there's nothing, legally, we can do. The Court ruled a long time ago on that. Everything we put in was taken right out and spent on other government programs without it even showing up as deficit spending or government debt. There's nothing in the "trust fund" but IOUs from the government to itself.

As long as more was coming in than was going out, it was a great ride. Now the bills are coming due. The deficit spending is now visible to the public. The total debt is growing by leaps and bounds. Not only is the government unable to grab all the "extra" money any more, but they have to start "paying back" those IOUs. The money just isn't there. Why do you think the government WANTS inflation? 

I don't count on Social Security. Unfortunately that means I also don't see being able to retire any time soon and I'm already pushing 60 and in a wheelchair with a bunch of titanium holding my back together.

Info Seeker

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 94 of 306 (2,434 Views)

Unfortunately, it's *not* your money once the government gets it. I know that's what they always imply, but legally, it isn't. 

U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Americans have no contractual rights regarding Social Security benefits. In 1960 (Flemming v. Nestor), the court said, "To engraft upon the Social Security system a concept of accrued property rights would deprive it of the flexibility and boldness in adjustment to ever changing conditions which it demands".

The government will either stiff us outright or, more likely, cowardly politicians will pretend to honor their promises by printing so much extra money to write the checks that the dollar will be worth pennies.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 95 of 306 (2,476 Views)

"....This fact is one of the main reasons SS may have problems in the future..  THE SOLUTION!!  CONGRESS must get off their ___________ and create incentives to bring manufacturing and other jobs back to the USA!!!!!....".

And what kind of incentives could there be? In China, India, Honduras, people can be paid a couple of dollars an hour. That's why i see no solution. We can offer companies huge tax incentives (which takes money away from all of us), but we can't match $2 an hour wages. That is the biggest 'challenge' to a globalized economy.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 96 of 306 (2,473 Views)
They know that at your age you will have a problem changing jobs.. ie They;ve got you and they know it!! Your employers are real A__Holes to do this to you..
Gold Conversationalist

Message 97 of 306 (2,266 Views)

They know that at your age you will have a problem changing jobs..  ie They;ve got you and they know it!!  Your employers are real A__Holes to do this to you..

Gold Conversationalist

Message 98 of 306 (2,258 Views)

Because our CONGRESS has created incentives that shipped most USA jobs away from USA there are many less workers paying into the Social Security fund so there is alot less money going in!!.

This fact is one of the main reasons SS may have problems in the future..  THE SOLUTION!!  CONGRESS must get off their ___________ and create incentives to bring manufacturing and other jobs back to the USA!!!!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: I am 62 and exhusband is 54

[ Edited ]
Message 99 of 306 (2,251 Views)

lori65202 wrote:

I never see anything written about this dilemma.  I will be 63 in July and my exhusband will be 55 in June.  Because he is so much younger than me I guess this means I can't collect my 50% from him until I'm 75?  I want to wait until I am 70 to collect my own but don't know if that is possible since the job I have right now is very shakey.  If I was to lose my  job now there is no way I can collect now at 63.  I would have to do temporary work or something.  I would only get enough SS to make my $800/mo. house payment.  If I have to collect at 66 it is going to be very rough for me and I still can't collect anything from my ex.  I have very little savings and am unable to save now.  Is there any way out of this dilemma?  I do plan to file for SS when I am 66 and then suspend it....if I can and am not out of work.  Things look very dim for me and it doesn't seem right that I have to wait until I am 75 to collect from my ex (if his 50% is enough....he makes a lot more than I ever did).

It does NOT appear that the spousal benefit will be beneficial to you at all with your ex- being that much younger than you.  Eight years difference under the rules of Social Security, especially now when there are more scheduled changes to the full retirement age in the near future.

Starting with people born in 1955, the full retirement age will inch upward, rather than jumping right to 67. A person born in 1955 will have to be 66 and 2 months to be considered at full retirement age, while someone born in 1956 will have to be 66 and 4 months.

If I am calculating your ex-husband's birth year correctly, that gives him a 1960 birth year and if that is so . . . . his Full Retirement Age will be 67.    If he decides to retire early, as far as I know, that early date is still at 62, then the spousal benefit would also be reduced; in fact alot since the full retirement age is getting higher and the early retirement age is staying the same.

In this event, Social Security just keeps paying out a lower and lower percentage based on the date of early retirement compared to the full retirement age.

So your own benefit at full retirement age, or later to 70 if you desire, might be higher considering this . . . .

If you already know that your cannot make it on what you would be getting if you began benefits at your full retirement age of 66, then perhaps it might be time to begin looking at reducing your expenses.  Going into retirement with a mortgage is not the best of ideas since that is a very big expense -

As an aside, I am a proponent of the plan to report husband and wife's earnings on a shared 50/50 bases while working.  In this way, both would be credited with an equal share of Social Security earnings, whether or not they both work.

Since marriage is a partnership, it seems just and it would simplify many of these antiquated Social Security rules - this file and suspend rule / spousal benefits when the older is the low earner,  as well as that for any divorce that might happen down the road, no matter how many years the marriage last, each would have a 50/50 spit in the SS reported income during the years of the marriage and each would carry that through their lifetime adding more or none as life presents itself going forward.

Sorry couldn't help you with some Social Security revelation but it is what it is . . . . . .

Conversationalist

Message 100 of 306 (2,249 Views)

Of coure not, they are not going to tell me it's "because I am too old", they will come up with another excuse "Your job isn't as skilled as the others" which is a total lie, on many levels.