Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Share your concerns about Social Security

Share your concerns about Social Security

1)     In the article,  Social Security Fears, many Social Security myths are addressed. What concerns you the most about Social Security? 

Social Butterfly

Reply to rr49933996: Are you able to post a link to where you obtained your information about, Seniors are taxed 25% or more on their benefit.

I believe this is the amount I chose to have held out of my Social Security each month, however, so far I have gotten back most of this at the end of the year when I file my income taxes, on my total income.

My sister because of her total income has nothing withheld but, pays no income taxes, doesn't even have to file a return.

I live in Texas, she lives in Alabama.

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

GodBlessUSA

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

"In the state of Hawaii there is a big problem in the making that is putting the lively hood of tens of people receiving social security................ Seniors are taxed 25% or more on their benefit......."

Thank you from bottem of my haert for possting this warning!

This is truely shockeing infermotion.   Was thinking of mooving myself to Aloha state for retirement.   Glad I sawed this post,  whew

there is truely nothing more serious  than loosing one's lively hood.   Just pondering such event gives me the Willys,  doesn't you? 

Think it might be feelsable  -  just an idea -  rent a large fleet of busses to transport these tens of people to Wash DC so they could lobby Congress? 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

AFTER THE BILLS ARE PAID I HAVE $25.00 PER WEEK TO LIVE ON.THINKING ABOUT MOVING OUT OF THE COUNTRY
0 Kudos
Contributor

I applied for disability in 2006.  I was told at the time that I could apply for disabled widows benefits.They also told me that, since I was under the retirement age, I would get a partial payment from my husband's SS and when I reach 66 it would go up to the regular amount.  I've since had cause to question this.  What would be the truth?

Thanks

0 Kudos

The scare tactics of big corp America and the congressman in their pockets are a way of trying to cut our SS. How about cutting our the subsidies and freebies that they receive? Social Security has some spare funds, remember the huge amounts of money that was BURROWED from SS, it has not been repaid yet! We are old not ignorant speak up.
0 Kudos

I am divorced after a 40-yer marriage and have not remarried. I only receive $600 per month Social Security. My ex-spouse's social security payments are lower than mine because he quit working. Is there any way I can receive a portion of his Social Security to add to mine? 

0 Kudos
Contributor

In your text you point out that delaying receiving social security benefits will mean an increase of 8% per each year that you delay.  The SSA told me that that is only the case if you continue to work and contribute.  I never see this important detail mentioned in articles on this topic and have to conclude that without mentioning this condition, an article is going to be misleading. 

I was misled because I intended to delay taking the benefit but live on my own resources for a few years.  But the SSA told me that such waiting would result in a very small increase in benefits and that I may as well start taking my social security immediately on reaching 'Full Retirement Age' (66 in my case).

Any comments?

Honored Social Butterfly

@ag33003889 - If you asked someone at SSA, would they be able to generate a detailed comparison of how much you'd collect by age 80, 90, etc., based on different scenarios for when you began collecting? Telling someone that doing X would only result in "a very small increase" is vague; I'd want to know the numbers!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Will they provide that information for an individual based on their situation?
0 Kudos
Contributor

I read there is not going to be a cost of living raise this year ( hope I am wrong) rent went up. Grogery went up and most likely everything will follow. What I read was they feel that inflation did not go up much in the past year, which I feel is a bunch of crock. Seniors in this country are very lucky to be able to buy food We know how to handle our money., but really. Such a shame I will just go with the flow and hope for the best
0 Kudos
Contributor

While George W. Bush was in office, he borrowed !.37 Trillion from Socialy Security, to cover a tax break for the rich.  The money has not been paid back.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Not having enough money to care for people who have paid into SS
0 Kudos

0 Kudos

We Americans who have worked and investef in the social security system are scrutinized and treated almost like criminal fraud thrives before we can receive payouts of our on investments,or our dependents. But immigrants can come here and receive out of our funds which they never deposited into as soon as they get here with no questions asked.YThen the government finds money to give them grants for homes, when we have so many veterans and others homeless on the streets. How can my country America, my.state Florida,my city Miami say they concentrating on doing justice. Whats justified in that.
0 Kudos
Contributor

It is amazing to me that Congress can get a minimum pay raise without ever bringing the topic up for discussion.  However, they sit there in D.C. like "fat cats" haggling over a miniscule raise for Social Security recipients and want to cut even more from the budget.  The idea that raising the amount we pay each month for Medicare is awful.  I am in my 70's and will work til the day I drop dead because the stock market killed my retirement savings and I have to rely on my job and SS each month to help pay bills.  My husband and I helped raise a granddaughter and saw her through college.  My daughter is 55 and has been unable to find a regular 40 hour a week job with benefits.  We help her when she needs it.  Yet, through all this, I can honestly say that we are not hurting as much as those who barely subsist on SS.  Yes, not everyone can go to work like I do.  I'm very fortunate to have the strength and energy and good health to do so.

When the power company needs more money, they simply raise rates by charging for odd things.  I pay to be billed.  How else will I know what to pay??

The price for ground beef, chicken and pork are ridiculous.  How can some folks live with these prices and no raise in SS??

Our insurance for our house has been increased to $1200 a year and we have never had a claim against this house in the 10 years we've lived in it.  The insurance companies give benefits to victims of natural disasters and we get to pay for it.  The system leaves a lot to be desired.  We pay taxes to have FEMA give assistance and we also make donations to help victims.  I believe we are now victims of these storms because of this pass-through from the insurance companies.

How can people continue to live even reasonably on SS when Congress refuses to increase payments, plans cuts, and raises Medicare rates.  Oh yes!  I also continue to contribute to SS every payday and see no return on that money.  SS acts like they have it coming to them.  The amount I pay to them every year exceeds one month of my SS check.  In essence, I pay one of my SS checks to continue to work because I can't live on SS alone.  There is something wrong here and it is Congress.  Folks who get fat pensions from their employers as well as social security don't know what it is like to change their lifestyles.  These are the things I worry about when I hear about Congress using SS money to pay for other things in their budgets!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

RH, you are correct in the fact that Congress can do absolutely nothing and receive a raise. They designed it that way. Unless they vote AGAINST their own raise, they automatically receive one.

You probably already know they won't be raising the medicare part B premium. There's a clause called, "Do No Harm" or something like that and it prevents them from raising the B premiums for MOST recipients if there is no cost of living raise.

As far as the COL raise, it's beyond me how they don't figure there is inflation. The formula they use to decide if there'll be a raise hasn't changed and neither are the things they use for their tally. Me thinks their formula needs tweaking!

You should be commended for your ability and drive to continue working! Social security was never designed to be our total means of support, but the stock market wreaked havoc on even people like you who had intentions of saving and being responsible.  You sound like an awesome lady for having raised your grandchild and helping your adult daughter. Just remember to not let anyone use you. Take care of yourself, too. We often forget to do that!

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello,  I have a serious complaint about Social Security... my husband earned full quarters to qualify for social security, however....thanks to Ronald Regan while he was Governor of California all California teachers (not any of the other state or fed employees...) must take a reduced income because we have a separate retirement plan.  So my husband can only receive 25% of his earned social security.  It is totally unfair in my book... I know many folks who went into teaching as a second career and they have reduced income from teaching, and seriously reduced income from social security.  However, it seems not too many folks are concerned about those who are left out... I am just wondering how many folks out there actually know this is the way it is!

0 Kudos

I agree.  I taught in California and just went to the retirement seminar and was surprised to learn that my SS benefit will be reduced.  We are the only ones in this category.  

My main concern is that I plan to work in a different field, have not contributed to SS since I was in my mid 20's.   My benefit is going to be around $175/mo. without added contributions and I am curious what/how much it will increase/be affected by added contributions.

I believe I will earn about 25,000 annually for another 7 or 8 years.  * I retired early from teaching and will delay my payout from State Retirement in order to max it out- thus the need to keep working.

Anyone have an educated guess what my ss payout would be???     thanks

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If you are fully vetted in STRS and your retirement will be a "decent" amount... (usually somewhere about 50% of what you were earning as a full time teacher if you have 25 to 30 years in)  then your Social Security earnings  will be reduced by 75%.  It is all confusing, because the amount you earn and the number of quarters in SS determines the amount.  I believe you can go to a Social Security Office and present your information ahead of time, and they should be able to give you a reasonable estimate.  California teachers are the only ones who cannot receive what everyone else does... if you worked for the Fed's or Per's you can receive your full amount of Social Security.  I thought about going back to work to earn more quarters (as I didn't have the minimum) to strengthen my teacher retirement, but after looking at it and doing a little arithmetic... I found it much more profitable to teach part time (a college class or two online...) than work all that time for maybe $107 a month in additional retirement.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@w444315k  Have you visited the Social Security website and created an account?

You asked, "Anyone have an educated guess what my ss payout would be???". You may want to look at this and see if it helps.

https://www.ssa.gov/retire/estimator.html

I am equally flabergasted that SS is going to take 3/4 of what I have earned, just because I have another retirement.  I look at it as being penalized for planning for the future.  So much for planning!!  I have heard that they are taking a look at WEP again - keep praying!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"...Hello,  I have a serious complaint about Social Security... my husband earned full quarters to qualify for social security, however....thanks to Ronald Regan while he was Governor of California all California teachers (not any of the other state or fed employees......".

It's called the Windfall Elimination Provision. It's spelled out on the SSA website. It was considered 'fair', at the time it was passed. You may or may not agree, but you can read about it yourself.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."

Can I collect 2 social security benifits my sock security disability and my exspouse social security
Or can I work while on so octal security disability , just can't make ends meet
0 Kudos
Contributor

Where does the money go, from our younger folks, who have it taken out of their paychecks, but will not receive those benefits?
0 Kudos
Contributor

Why can't our government replace all the money the took from social security ?

All the money paid in by our parents and family that have died should be in there to help offset the future but our government keeps robbing it .

0 Kudos
Contributor

I believe US spend so much money playing big brother to the rest of the world that we neglect our own. Take some of those money packages we give to other countries and build up the social security system. Do not make retirees and others suffer because of cuts and or pay adjustments. Stop taxing social security, taxes are paid our whole life into the system.
0 Kudos
Contributor

This is a nightmare situation. I was in. another state when this happened to me. I was traveling for my co. and spent no more than a few days to a week at most in a hotel. This was prior to internet, computers, etc. I don't remember how I resplved the situation at the time , I know it was Extremely difficult. Good luck.
0 Kudos

For at least 30 years the GAO and others have warned about the long term financial stability of Social Security. Recently the CBO has raised its concern. Meanwhile Congress has dhas not been serious about solving the problem. I think a person is a fool to rely on Socila Security or to trust Congress. I am not wealthy, but I am taking resposibility and using mutual funds for my financial needs. I started investing 22 years ago. I don't depend on Congress for anything. People need to be resposible and look out for number 1.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My biggest concern is the fact that they may reduce the amount of my monthly check. i have already read a few articles on the fact that this may come true. The articles go on to say that this is an issue that capital hill is already discussing. We cannot let this happen!! There are many more retired citizens that are deawing less than what I am and i know that this would devastate most of them. So, I ask; what can we do about it?

Super Contributor

Because our CONGRESS has created incentives that shipped most USA jobs away from USA there are many less workers paying into the Social Security fund so there is alot less money going in!!.

This fact is one of the main reasons SS may have problems in the future..  THE SOLUTION!!  CONGRESS must get off their ___________ and create incentives to bring manufacturing and other jobs back to the USA!!!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP