Find the resources you need

Help Guidelines My Settings

Community
Work & Retirement

Silver Conversationalist
AARPMiller

Share your concerns about Social Security

[ Edited ]

1)     In the article,  Social Security Fears, many Social Security myths are addressed. What concerns you the most about Social Security? 

Please use plain text.
Silver Conversationalist
AARPMiller

Share your fears about Social Security

1)     In the article,  Social Security Fears, many Social Security myths are addressed. What concerns you the most about Social Security? 

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
Powderhorn63

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

I am new to receiving Social Security.  Last week I went to the grocery store and bought staples, many of which were not previously prepared foods.  When I arrived home, I went to my files and checked the same 19 items that I purchased this time last year and found that I had paid 30% more this year than last for the same items.  Gasoline has increased almost double (average) in the last 12 months.  Most federal employees, including US Congressmen, have received cost of living increases.  Some in the amount of 16% increase in one year, as per the US News reported on television.  I have been told that the Social Security recipients have NOT received even a cost of living increase for at least three years (as per local recipients). 

Is there a chance that this inequity of passing out increases will be addressed?  And When?

Jack V. Smith
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
19krake66

Will we ever see an increase in our Social Secuirty again to help the rising cost of living.

Darlene Krake
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
bstjohn

I read an article that medicare premiums will go up quite a bit for 2012 and to right around $245.00 by 2013 is this true?  As we see no cost of living raise in the last 3 years it must be obvious to SS if they are raising our premiums that all things cost more.
Over the years the government has borrowed from the SS fund and used it for other things and has not to date paid it back.  If they would pay back the funds they borrowed, maybe the fund wouldn't be in trouble today.  I think this should be of major concern..
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
dlittleones

Are they going to keep the freeze on Social Security for 2012??????

In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many Social Security myths are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller

Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
dlittleones

Are they ever going to stop the freeze on SS. I am living on $40.00 a week after the bills are paid. thats not much for drugs food Gas for car  and anything extra. 

D.L. Anderson
Please use plain text.
Info Seeker
featherduster

In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many Social Security myths are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller

That  we do not get cost of living increase, we just get by and when we don't get that increase we have to give up something to make ends met and it is not buying a new car. 
Please use plain text.
Bronze Conversationalist
juneen5230

I have been on SS Disability for the past two years, and I am currently 62 years old. My husband will be retiring in the next two years from a company that I have been on his medical insurance. All I can find is that 3 months prior to me turning 65 that I should plan on applying for Part B and Part D. When he retires he will go onto his Medicare but I will not be of age yet to get these other parts for mine. Will I be able to apply also at that time for the other parts that I do not receive or do I have to wait the next two years to be placed on full Medicare? Without calling the SS office the directions are very confusing.
Please use plain text.
Conversationalist
GetRealQuick

GOP Front runner Cain's 999 plan calls for abolishing Social Security and Medicare (New York Times, 11/13/11). Perry has called SS a ponzi scheme and unlawful. The GOP is against SS and Medicare by principle and would love to abolish/privatize them, as soon as they get in power, whether it be 2012, 2016, 2020, etc. And I don't believe their promises of not affecting those currently 50 or greater. They have a proven record of flip flopping and it is often a part of their plan. SO this issue is not going away; it is dangerous for us, and is dangerous for future generations.

Should they get elected and abolish/privatize Social Security and Medicare, it will be a stupendous, catastrophic, disaster for the 10s of millions of poor and disabled elderly. Their only choice will be to wheel themselves out to th the trashcan and wait to die. This is the GOP plan for America in the 21st century, whether we like it or not. The day they get the power will be the day they begin their dismantling project.

What is out only rational response? Is it to wheel ourselves out to the trashcan to die in misery? Of course not! We must therefore demand the Right To Die via a $99.00 Death Drug (we don't want any ahandouts). This is our only rational response because this "Dead Deal", the opposite of the New Deal, of the GOP is coming and nobody can stop it. Therefore we must do the only rational thing and demand the Right to Die. This is the unavoidable future of America.

Please use plain text.