Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 1 of 5

I know people affected by Ronald Reagan signing the Windfall Elimination Provision and Government Pension Offset provisions into law as part of the Social Security Refinancing Act in 1983 during his first term, who turned around and voted for Reagan for his second term. How smart is that?

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 2 of 5

I understand the concept of not double dipping but how is it double dipping to take 40% from someone already penalized for only having 20 years of Social security payments, Especially when my SS payments were much higher than most due to my salary. As it stands someone earning 20,000 will get more than I will just by paying in , I am also penalized for being from another country where my State pension is 20 years short due to wanting to be a US Citizen. Now I will get reduced pension from there and from the US and they think this is fair  to further cut what I will get  Railmen agreement yes I agree  should not recieve both but thier pensions are substantially the same from either.. I am not trying to double dip just get back what I have paid for for 20 years.. Any congress men/woman should support the abolition of what is nothing less than a disgusting law to the average hard working citizens of this country, President Trump if you are for the working class Amarican you should in all good concience look into this.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 5

cn5621 wrote:

Gail1wrote:

Only position I could find from AARP, although the article does not bear a year , John Rother left this position in 2011 - current AARP position ???????

AARP has not taken a position on GPO or WEP and neither supports nor opposes either piece of legislation. AARP’s public policies are recommended by its all volunteer National Legislative Council and approved by its volunteer Board of Directors. The Board has considered the issues but chose not to adopt policy on either the government pension offset (GPO) or the windfall elimination provision (WEP). Many teachers and public employees have been told they are being singled out for unfair treatment, but the issue is complex and if there were an injustice, AARP would be there fighting to correct it.

Washington Post ViewPoint : John Rother, AARP's Director of Policy and Strategy, on Social Security

Anything that involves SSN should be a Red Flag issue with AARP. Why do they think the majority of us join. Any issue that involves the V.A. or SSN is #1 with me.  I am concerned with other issues but these two are at the top of my list 

On these particular Social Security issues, I can understand why they have not taken a position. The fix, if one is necessary, may just require a formula change - that's the debate in Congress.  We cannot go back to the way they use to do it because that was a problem.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 5

GailL1 wrote:

Update to those who are involved in these Social Security situations-

Here is the newest  legislation to be introduced to repeal the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision and the Pension Offset.

H.R. 1205 - Social Security Fairness Act of 2017

introduced 02/2017 by Rep. Rodney Davis (R - IL)

currently 158 co-sponsors 

has gone through the Ways and Means Committee

now in the sub-committee for Social Security

identical bill in the Senate S.915

introducedm04/2017 by Senator Sherrod Brown (D - OH)

currently 9 co-sponsors

In the Finance Commttee

S. 915 Social Security Fairness Act of 2017

Here is what the Committee for the Preservation of Social Security and Medicare says about this proposed legislation.

NCPSSM Public Policy - Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Provision

Only position I could find from AARP, although the article does not bear a year , John Rother left this position in 2011 - current AARP position ???????

AARP has not taken a position on GPO or WEP and neither supports nor opposes either piece of legislation. AARP’s public policies are recommended by its all volunteer National Legislative Council and approved by its volunteer Board of Directors. The Board has considered the issues but chose not to adopt policy on either the government pension offset (GPO) or the windfall elimination provision (WEP). Many teachers and public employees have been told they are being singled out for unfair treatment, but the issue is complex and if there were an injustice, AARP would be there fighting to correct it.

Washington Post ViewPoint : John Rother, AARP's Director of Policy and Strategy, on Social Security

Anything that involves SSN should be a Red Flag issue with AARP. Why do they think the majority of us join. Any issue that involves the V.A. or SSN is #1 with me.  I am concerned with other issues but these two are at the top of my list 

Valued Social Butterfly

Repealing the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision And Pension Offset 2017 Legislation

Message 5 of 5

Update to those who are involved in these Social Security situations-

Here is the newest  legislation to be introduced to repeal the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision and the Pension Offset.

H.R. 1205 - Social Security Fairness Act of 2017

introduced 02/2017 by Rep. Rodney Davis (R - IL)

currently 158 co-sponsors 

has gone through the Ways and Means Committee

now in the sub-committee for Social Security

identical bill in the Senate S.915

introducedm04/2017 by Senator Sherrod Brown (D - OH)

currently 9 co-sponsors

In the Finance Commttee

S. 915 Social Security Fairness Act of 2017

Here is what the Committee for the Preservation of Social Security and Medicare says about this proposed legislation.

NCPSSM Public Policy - Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Provision