Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Home owners insurance

Message 11 of 18 (5,212 Views)

I was very impressed with the local State Farm agent, spending more than 90 minutes with them, going thru all the details about my house. There's absolutely no way an online brokerage could prepare an accurate quote, without going thru all of that, and discussing coverage!

I also felt totally disconnected from my current insurer, because they are also "agents of record", simply due to acquisitions. I have never had any personal contact with any of them.

General comment about "credit for". I think there's a deduction if you have a security system in the house, yet I have a whole house back-up generator .. and there's no typical industry credit for that (yet)! If you have a generator, it eliminates the possibility of food spoilage, damage if sump pumps can't run due to lack of power, etc

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 12 of 18 (4,504 Views)

I just did a total review of all my coverages since the renewal all came in June.

I was able to save $ 700 a year, just by reviewing my coverage options with the same company I did check others too, but this was the best - best coverage for the money and best rated company.

Savings came mostly from the Homeowners coverage - seems the company had come up with some new discounts which applied to me - like having NO mortgage.

I also changed  (independent) agents since my other one seemed to have little time to help me evaluate my coverage; really didn't know them, they became my agent of record as a result of acquisition.

I still have all my coverages - Homeowners, Auto, and Umbrella with Excess Uninsured and Underinsured motorist - under the same company since the discount for having them there is hard to beat with separate company coverages.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 18 (4,512 Views)

"...How happy are you with your homeowners/renters/auto insurer?...".

I've stated before that DW and I seem to be in the definite minority. We have Hartford homeowners and auto. Our rates have been competitive, and we check every few years. We've never had a claim on house, but have had auto damage, the last being $3500 worth of hail damage. The body shop is more than excellent. So, no complaints other than no one likes to pay for insurance.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”

Message 14 of 18 (4,528 Views)
nctarheel wrote:

.. Insurance is a racket but you got to have it.

They're the stereotypical "necessary evil"; hope I like the attitude of the people I'm meeting with this morning!

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 18 (4,533 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

How happy are you with your homeowners/renters/auto insurer?

I have an independent agent and from time to time, they switch my carrier because of crazy price increases that make no sense.

For example, I used to have my homeowners with Travelers. As you can see, I am from North Carolina. A couple of years ago, Travelers increased my homeowners over 50% from one year to the next, and I, too, had no claims, plus I also had my auto with them, plus I have a near perfect credit score. My independent agent had no explanation for the increase so we conference called Travelers and this was their answer:

They had so many wind damage claims in N.C. that they wanted to pull their business away from the state but there are regulations preventing just moving out of the state. It seems that their business has to be so low that they can show it isn't worth it to continue to write policies in the state. Now they told me the next sentence and I couldn't believe it........they couldn't just drop people on purpose to get to that low threshold....they needed people to DROP THEM to get to the threshold. That is why they were REALLY increasing the rates!!!!!!!!

Now that is what I call good customer service!!!!!!

Anyway, my premium with the company I switched to after the Travelers fiasco has a homeowner's premium of 40% of what Travelers was.... for the exact  (if not a little better) coverage.

Insurance is a racket but you got to have it.

Message 16 of 18 (4,535 Views)

Ironically, this is a timely discussion! I just got my homeowners insurance renewal over the weekend, and it went up 15% .. a total of a 63% increase over the 6 years I own this house .. and have never filed a claim!

I'd also started with an agent that was local & known well in the community, but they've since sold to a larger firm, which then sold to an even larger regional one .. each time moving further away from me!

So today I have an appointment with a very large, highly rated carrier, that still has local offices. Like I told them on the phone, this is one of those things, when I'd like to look someone in the eye, when they answer my questions!

How happy are you with your homeowners/renters/auto insurer?

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 17 of 18 (4,564 Views)

mh461 wrote:
My Insurance has doubled my nieabor told me to contact you they Have Hartford
Please call 281-614-9995

This is not the Hartford. This is an AARP website, worldwide. You have now posted your phone number where the entire world can find it and you'll probably start getting all kinds of crank calls. By posting your number, we all know your address and can probably track down personal info.

You are going to want to delete your entry immediately.

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Info Seeker

Home owners insurance

[ Edited ]
Message 18 of 18 (4,578 Views)

My Insurance has doubled my nieabor told me to contact you they Have Hartford