Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Where Have All The Singles Gone?

Message 1 of 28 (587 Views)

caroleenh wrote:
I think AARP sort of chased us out with their experts and the dating site. Became too difficult to post and keep track of everyone. Miss the core group. I ran into Richard on Facebook the other day and he felt the same way.

AARP asked if I wanted "Singles Perspective" to be part of their dating program, and I just knew that would come with AARP rules & the group would lose its independence .. so as the group Administrator, I said "thanks, but no thanks!" After seeing the heavy handed way AARP's "dating experts" handled things, I was very grateful they hadn't merged Singles Perspective in with that!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 2 of 28 (588 Views)

@caroleenh - I keep my Facebook & AARP accounts separate, and I use a screen name here rather than my real name.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 28 (595 Views)
I think AARP sort of chased us out with their experts and the dating site. Became too difficult to post and keep track of everyone. Miss the core group. I ran into Richard on Facebook the other day and he felt the same way.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 4 of 28 (597 Views)
How do I find your Facebook page? I'd love to reconnect.
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 28 (705 Views)

@siciliangal57...Hi, Christine. Welcome!

As Astraea and Mimi know, I'm in the Philly suburbs.

I don't do any social media at all.

I also feel the same way about pets. After my cat died, I just didn't think I could handle any more loss, so never adopted another.

No dating going on here. Most of my friends are also widows or singles and I go out socially with different groups of women friends. Once in a while I go out with married friends, but I always feel like a third wheel.

The AARP community is a great place to discuss anything. There are so many topics to choose from and sometimes the conversations get very lively! Cat LOL Just ask Astraea!

She started this particular group long before I even found the website. I do like to check in here and at a few other groups to see what's going on. I guess I'd have to say TV Talk is my favorite group here on AARP. You get to see familiar names after a while. It's a comfortable place to post almost anything.

So, once again, welcome and we hope to hear more from you. Nancy

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 28 (711 Views)

@Soosie  Congratulations on your decision to contact your old acquaintance.  I hope that you had a great time at the play and that this relationship might become whatever the two of you decide is appropriate. 

Message 7 of 28 (718 Views)

@siciliangal57 - Basics about getting replies here: people can set up their profiles 2 ways, to get 2-mail notices of new material in which they've posted ("subscribe"), and to just come & look for new material because they don't want to be bombarded with e-mail notifications.

If you want to make sure one or more people in a discussion are notified that a particular post is directed at them, you can type the @ sign, and you'll get a drop-down box showing all the people who've posted to that discussion. If you click on the one or ones you want, it will show up like yours at the beginning of this post, and the person will be notified that there's a post to them.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 28 (728 Views)

Hi Christine,

Yes, I received your replies and I am looking forward to getting to know you here on AARP!  I love Chicago!  I have to say I've never been there in winter though!  I have a daughter who lives there and she's now a confirmed Chicagoan...lol!

There is at least one poster on this particular forum who lives in Chicago...not a singleton, though.  I won't let the cat out of the bag...I'll let the poster make the choice to reveal.

Yes, a pet is quite a responsibility.  It's difficult & expensive to arrange care if one travels much and it takes an emotional toll as they become older and infirm.  I've made the same promise to myself not to have another pet when the dreaded day comes that they are no longer with me.  For now, I just enjoy them and love them like they are fur children!

I know you will settle in nicely here.  I will be looking forward to your posts!  ~  Mimi

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 28 (732 Views)

Well, I appreciate all of the responses today and I hope to continue to chat with you all again soon. I will have to figure out if my replies are going to the right person....I can't tell on here. I know you've received my replies Astraea, but not sure if Prosecco6247 got my reply.  I guess I'll find out soon enough...

Have a wonderful and safe evening...

siciliangal (christine)
Highlighted
Conversationalist

Message 10 of 28 (733 Views)

Having a pet is very comforting. I had a black lab but had to give him up a few years ago. I really miss him.  He brought me alot of happiness at a time when things were a bit rough. I don't think I could ever get another pet though...it's too hard to let them go whether it be by death or giving them a new home. Since I was never fortunate enough to have children, having a pet was the closest thing. It's a terrible loss. Now, I just doggie sit for a few friends and neighbors...this way I can enjoy them.

siciliangal (christine)