Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Gold Conversationalist

Re: Single in Sacramento

Message 1 of 6

If the objective is to meet a single man, then I would vacation in a foreign land!  I've been watching "90 Day Fiance" and the couples that eventually marry are pretty young and impressionable.  Though one man was 48 and engaged to a 25-year-old woman from a poor village in Thailand  He has adult children who were hostile re his marriage.   Another woman of 27 met a man from the Ukraine, and when her pals mentioned they were giving her a bachelorette party in Vegas, he totally onjected.  Different cultures re American women.  American men are spoiled and don't have marriage in mind, but living together is more acceptable.  They're spoiled bc many women here give in to "living in sin."  Fewer marriages happen between American men and women.  As the above woman from Tampa, FL stated, this is a big world, so why limit your choices to America?  Anyway, in both cases, against all odds,  the above ppl married. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Relocating to Red Bank

Message 2 of 6

@Calhounwoman - I have dozens of criteria I use to evaluate locations at the state, county & town level .. from growth rates & housing density, to availability of medical facilities, supermarkets & houses of worship! I'm going to send you a PM to follow up on this, if you'd like to.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Re: Relocating to Red Bank

Message 3 of 6

@Calhounwoman - A lot has changed in the last few months, namely the tax changes capping the property tax exclusion, and a newly elected governor who promised to raise taxes, to pay for additional "social programs"! Red Bank is a surprisingly small town with about 12,000 residents, considering the high density of upscale shops, dozens of restaurants, and 2 major live theater venues. That's still my default relocation spot.

Since early November, I've also been researching other locations, mostly along the eastern seaboard, but as I've said previously, it's almost impossible to find small single-story, single family houses in a walkable downtown area, in a town the lots of culture & things to do! Florida has no state income tax, but homeowners insurance can easily be double what you'd pay for a house in NJ, because of hurricane risk. Many towns' walkable downtowns are full of historic or just older multi-story homes, and/or high-density high-rise condos, co-ops & rentals.

Despite the hurricane insurance, the best area to find the sort of houses I'd like in a vibrant small town, seems to be Palm Beach County, FL, with Delray Beach & Boca Raton near the top of the list. I may go down & get a better feel for the area next summer .. when I can also see how bad the heat & humidity may be.

Gold Conversationalist

Relocating to Red Bank

Message 4 of 6

@ASTRAEA Happy New Year! Wow, I envy you and am excited for you--you have found a community/neighborhood that fits your wish list of your "best place to live"--Red Bank.  That is AWESOME! 

Your concern about taxes is understandable.  However, what about your overall quality of life you would have in Red Bank? Will the proposed tax increases lessen the value (emotional, social, financial) preferences of living there?  What are the pros/cons if you move to Red Bank (other than taxes)?

I'm working on trying to find my "best place to live", and when asked for suggestions from others, many of their choices focused soley on taxes and had very little to do with me as a person and my lifestyle.  Yes, their location suggestions are  cheaper places to live, but after researching the regions/communities, I realized I would not fit in those communities.  I'm active--physically and socially.  I want to do more than just sit inside my cheap, 2000 sq. ft., low-tax home on a beautifully tree lined street where I have to get behind the wheel of a car just to get to anywhere to do anything in a low or tax-free state. I don't want to spend valuable time behind the wheel of a car.  I am not interested in living a housebound retirement because there is nothing to do in my community unless I travel miles and miles and miles just to do something--how exhausting!..and, EXPENSIVE--in gas, car maintenance, insurance, and my time.  So much for cheaper.  After spending time in the East Coast/Canada and the South, I came to terms with the reality that I am a weather wimp.  I don't like snow, and I just can't handle extreme humidity.

I currently live in California in one of the most densely populated communities in the state.  My main criteria when I retired in 2015 was to live in a pedestrian friendly community.  Well, I have since learned that pedestrian friendly does not equate to pedestrian SAFE.  I don't walk as much as I used to because I don't want to become some motorist's roadkill.  I've had to adjust my criteria, mourn the loss of the pedestrian retirement lifestyle that I originally wanted, and broaden my options.  Yes, my preferred retirement location will still be in California.  I like the Prop 13 property tax restriction--homeowners pay a tax rate of 1.25-1.5% of assessed value; no rolling property taxes--you always know what your property tax rate is. I like paying $100 a month--mostly less--in utility bills throughout the year, my 1998 Jaguar XJ8 costs me less than a grand a year (registration, insurance, maintenance, and gas), food is high quality and cheap due to year round moderate weather for harvesting, and there is always something going on somewhere to do within a few minutes of where I live (whether I walk, take public transit, or drive).

Yes, taxes are an important consideration.  I think life would be a lot more joyful if other factors are also included in your decision to give up Red Bank.

Good journey and good luck in whatever you decide.

Fey Lady

Re: Single in Sacramento

Message 5 of 6

@sanlee916 - Welcome to "Singles Perspective"; I'm glad you decided to check us out!

Your post of of real interest to me, as I'm considering a move from NJ, and driving myself crazy about all the criteria I have now .. I hit 65 late summer!

I moved from north Jersey to the shore area ~ 9 years ago, after I'd stopped working & was no longer a caregiver. In my mid-50s, I wanted to be in a small, quiet non-beach town that wouldn't be overrun by summer vacationers. While there's a lot of shopping & entertainment, ALL of it requires a car .. and I can think of only 1 town in my county that's truly walkable & nice (Red Bank). However with the potential tax changes & an incoming governor who's promised to raise state taxes, I'm considering another move.

I've accepted that I'd probably have to move to a somewhat larger town, to have the amenities I want, in a walkable setting .. but NOT a big city (I grew up in NYC). I have tried to coordinate data from multiple sources .. like best places to retire lists, www.WalkScore.com, Zillow & map programs, and it's virtually impossible to find a small single story, single family house in a walkable neighborhood that's nice! I've identified about 20 towns in good counties & states, but then it's impossible to find the sort of housing I want. Smiley Sad FRUSTRATED!!!

Conversationalist

Single in Sacramento

Message 6 of 6

When I relocated to Sacramento 17 years ago, it was to be in a bigger city where the dating life would be more fruitful. What a joke!

Sacramento has limited offers for singles to meet, especially this age group!

Small towns seem to be a better chance at meeting potential dates. I'm 65, am fun loving, secure and stable, and would love to meet and mingle in my age group.

Suggestions?